It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Americanisation of Australia

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I don’t think it’s a case of America forcing itself on Australia as some people are claiming, I think it’s more a case of Australians wishing they were the United States, I mean let’s be honest with ourselves here, this country aint nothing special.

Australia spends too much time trying to copy America because it cannot come up with its own ideas.

The people here are way too overly patriotic and spend too much time getting off on the idea that this is the best country in the world to live in (far from it).

It’s so bad here that if you buy any product made overseas (which by the way is usually better than anything made here, especially food!) you are considered UN-Australian. If you don’t play cricket or watch the “footy” you’re UN-Australian, if you ever criticise anything Australian then you’re UN-Australian.

As for too many Australians watching American TV shows, who in their right mind would watch any Australian produced shows? Australians cannot make good TV, when I do watch TV (very little) it’s usually only European, British or American content. I mean thank god for the internet or we would never get world news (Australian channels think only Australian news is important – local news for local people
).

I don’t think Australia is Americanised, it’s just trying to be (and doing a bad job of it), I’ve been to the US plenty of times and loved the place, I can tell you, Australia is nowhere, nowhere at all close to becoming America, it never will be.

Mikey

[edit on 31/5/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
seriously we are not trying to be like America!
Who in their right mind actually try to be like these people:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

I partly agree with you about tv though, We don't make good drama shows, thats for sure but theres more to tv than that, how big are the wiggles internationally? They started out as a locally produced tv show.

Also, you mustn't watch a lot of sbs because they have an awful lot of international news on, just tune in on a Saturday morning if you don't believe me.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Chadwickus]

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Chadwickus]

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 31-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Also, you mustn't watch a lot of sbs because they have an awful lot of international news on, just tune in on a Saturday morning if you don't believe me.

That’s exactly my point; you have to tune in Saturday morning to find out what happened last Monday somewhere else in the world.

Go to almost any other country and they have a dedicated 24 hours news channel, with local and international news. (Don’t even mention Sky News Australia, that’s a joke, again local news for local people).

SBS and ABC do show “some” International news, but again it’s usually late and limited.

We don’t make any good shows at all; all they usually are is Hospital or Police shows with poor acting skills or some pathetic reality or game show that was stolen from some other country.

As for the Wiggles, yea they’re just creepy. Lol

A lot of Australians judge the United States and it’s people even though they have usually never been there or even met an American.

Mikey

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84

Originally posted by Chadwickus

That’s exactly my point; you have to tune in Saturday morning to find out what happened last Monday somewhere else in the world.

Go to almost any other country and they have a dedicated 24 hours news channel, with local and international news. (Don’t even mention Sky News Australia, that’s a joke, again local news for local people).

SBS and ABC do show “some” International news, but again it’s usually late and limited.

We don’t make any good shows at all; all they usually are is Hospital or Police shows with poor acting skills or some pathetic reality or game show that was stolen from some other country.

As for the Wiggles, yea they’re just creepy. Lol

A lot of Australians judge the United States and it’s people even though they have usually never been there or even met an American.

Mikey

Sky news isn't the only news channel available (i'm talking foxtel here) there is also fox news and bbc news on 24 hrs a day.

But yes, to the average veiwer with free to air tv there isn't much out there.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
C'mon now! What wrong with Australian TV. We've produced shows like Hey Dad, Kinswood Country, Neighbours.......Oh....fair enough. Point taken

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
we are becoming a walmart that supplies iron ore to china

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join