It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is telepathy undiagnosed schizophrenia?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by raven bombshell

As I said, the interference - there is really no other way of putting it - of their thoughts and "vibrations" (i.e. focused energy) was too strong for me to be able to order my own thoughts. It blocked the train of my thoughts.
Had I been familiar with those people - and there were many more than one, which doesn't make it easier - I would have been familiar with the energy and thought patterns they "emitted", if you will, and so they would not have overwhelmed my thought process - my concentration, to put it simply.

But I wasn't, and so I could not concentrate. Their thought energy crowded my mind, leaving no space for my own.

I can see how that could be difficult to understand, but there is no other, simpler way of putting it, without risking such oversimplification that only new misunderstandings would ensue. Semantics is a tricky business!

I ended with that line simply because I wanted to end on a lighter note - to avoid any hint of pomposity.
It is true nevertheless. Since I could not collect my thoughts, I simply blurted something, anything.
(And I don't feel guilty at all!
)
[edit on 27-5-2008 by Vanitas]

Well, they deserved it for getting personal and crowding your mind, I guess.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Merle8

If someone can publish a book showing a methodical and full understanding of how mass consciousness work and how to use it, that person is my hero.

I've had psychic "flares" before where more psychic events happen to me than normal, but I can never seem to sustain them. That's why I want someone to explain the whole thing. And give instructions. It's hard to do when you don't even know what you're doing when you're doing it .

Carl Jung coined the term "collective unconsciousness."

In his earlier writings, Jung called this aspect of the psyche the collective unconscious. He later changed the term to objective psyche. The objective psyche may be considered objective for two reasons: it is common to everyone; and it has a better sense of the self's ideal than the ego or conscious self does. It thus directs the self, via archetypes, dreams, and intuition, and drives the person to make mistakes on purpose. In this way, it moves the psyche toward individuation, or self-actualization.

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

As for a "complete understanding" of it, I doubt that will be forthcoming anytime soon. I'd be wary of people offering said product. I'm not going to suggest any retailers.

I want you to understand; if you are aware of the minds around you on some level, that's enough to begin your quest. You have to simply know that they're there. How does one just "know?" Religions have been asking the same question for a long time. It's not religion though... or not necessarily. I'll explain; I am of the mind that "many rivers lead to the sea," i.e., there are many ways to find the true potential of your mind. Find yourself present and be found

[edit on 28-5-2008 by telepath]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Or what if schizophrenia is undiagnosed telepathy ?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonro

Schizophrenia as uncontrolled telepathy?

jamie83 asked that question in the first reply. Very good though. I'm glad you are thinking in this way!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by telepath
reply to post by Jonro

jamie83 asked that question in the first reply. Very good though. I'm glad you are thinking in this way!

yea sorry i was pretty sure someone would have said the same thing i just haven't bothered to read through the whole thread yet.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonro

There was somebody on this thread with a family member who apparently had this "uncontrolled telepathy" that you speak of!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Never been diagnosed as a schizophrenic, but I've read enough to know I've had such symptoms off and on in my life. I would never allow such a diagnoses, because I don't trust how it could be used to harm me.

I would consider schizophrenia just the loss of control due to too much information or stimuli coming in and not enough organization of your thoughts to control it all. Sort of an overload or system crash.

Paranoid delusions of grandeur - I think not.

Telepathic, yes.

Was very good at poker when I played, but found myself purposefully losing in order to be kept on the invite list. One time I was observing everyone while playing and I felt so much negative energy & greed overcoming everyone that I had to get up and walk away. I was so disgusted that I gave my pot to the guy next to me, cause I felt the money was cursed. Haven't played since, and that was more than 20 years ago.

In my younger days going to parties was difficult, because I'm always in conversations and picking up secondary ones and more. More than two would be confusing and would start to derail the face to face one. Solution concentrate on the closest conversation and ignore the rest - easy for most people, but most don't hear them all.

Dated a woman one time that I swear was a conduit for telepathy. I think she had some kind of mental condition as well, but she was not aware of all the activity around her. I found myself using her to to communicate to others it was like having extended bandwidth or power in your radio.

Have had some what I would call psychic attacks, whereas I would enter into
certain conversations and when they became aware of my presence they would go completely in attack mode in order to make me leave. Imagine tuning your car radio into a frequency and when those on that frequency realized you were there they attempted to overload or blow up your radio in order to get you to turn the station and never come back.

Some get very angry when you look.

Could go on but I'm rambling and getting too far off topic.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

VLF,

Never been diagnosed as a schizophrenic, but I've read enough to know I've had such symptoms off and on in my life. I would never allow such a diagnoses, because I don't trust how it could be used to harm me.

I would consider schizophrenia just the loss of control due to too much information or stimuli coming in and not enough organization of your thoughts to control it all. Sort of an overload or system crash.

You're not off topic at all
I wouldn't allow a diagnosis either for the same reason. That information is too subjective and easily manipulated. I agree, it's a loss of control as a kind of necessary madness. I invite you to look for Dr. John Breeding on you tube. His comments on schizophrenia are great. I spoke about him in a previous post.

There are any number of "conditions" we could possibly substitute as a placebo for telepathy. I think we're all more or less telepathic.

Was very good at poker when I played, but found myself purposefully losing in order to be kept on the invite list. One time I was observing everyone while playing and I felt so much negative energy & greed overcoming everyone that I had to get up and walk away. I was so disgusted that I gave my pot to the guy next to me, cause I felt the money was cursed. Haven't played since, and that was more than 20 years ago.

I was bad at poker because, I'm always hitting the "send button." People said I've got a bad poker "face." But I don't think it's got anything to do with the face. I stopped too.

In my younger days going to parties was difficult, because I'm always in conversations and picking up secondary ones and more. More than two would be confusing and would start to derail the face to face one. Solution concentrate on the closest conversation and ignore the rest - easy for most people, but most don't hear them all.

I had the exact same experience at parties. In my formative years everyone used to tell me that I came from "left field" with regards to what I would say. I'd pick up bits here and there, I'd piece together the whole situation and spontaneously brief someone about it, or check my work. I imagine it was unnerving to my friends in school.

Dated a woman one time that I swear was a conduit for telepathy. I think she had some kind of mental condition as well, but she was not aware of all the activity around her. I found myself using her to to communicate to others it was like having extended bandwidth or power in your radio.

Wow. That's wild. I don't know what one would call that... psychic battery? Hm, that could be detrimental to her. I'd really check out what you're doing, make her aware at least.

Have had some what I would call psychic attacks, whereas I would enter into
certain conversations and when they became aware of my presence they would go completely in attack mode in order to make me leave. Imagine tuning your car radio into a frequency and when those on that frequency realized you were there they attempted to overload or blow up your radio in order to get you to turn the station and never come back.

I've had experience with psychic attacks too. I've been on the sending end of that as well. Just check out my threads on extraterrestrial telepathy. Thanks for your very up front post.
They are rare to say the least! Way cool

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well they are not crazy if anyone else see's it. It would not go undiagnosed. Schizophrnia is when you see, fell, or hear things that aren't actually there and if the voices are someone else's that you know then it could possibly telepathy. The voices are usually one's own that they dont recognize.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tpeele

Hey TP,

That seems like a pretty broad definition to me. Gee, I imagine almost every person alive has had those symptoms! They just don't tell anyone about it for fear of being ostracized. What each person doesn't realize is that almost every other person has had one or more of those experiences.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
reply to post by telepath

Maybe it's the exact opposite.

Maybe diagnosed schizophrenia is really some sort of uncontrolled telepathy. Who's to say the voices in a person's head aren't real, or that it's an illness?

I agree! I think it's the other way around, also! I think that some people have probably been misdiagnosed as Schizo, when they really have ESP or they are telepathic, etc! Look at the Psychics! Are they Schizo, or are they psychic?

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Telepathy exists and has nothing to do with schizophrenia. I've had sporadic episodes of it for over twenty years. I can't turn it on and off, it just happens. The telepath simply hears what another is about to say. The hearing is the same as you hear your own thoughts within, but then another person says those 'thoughts' exactly as you have just heard them. It is virtually impossible to distinguish these 'thoughts' as not being your own until another states those words. Telepathy also crosses languages. For example, if a christian telepath is speaking with a moslem he will hear the word God when the muslim actually thinks the word Allah prior to saying the word Allah. When I first started to have telepathic experiences I'd never heard of it. It started with boyfriends and I reasoned that they were becoming too predictable and that the relationships were losing their spontaneity. It wasn't until the experiences extended into the workplace that I realized what was really going on. Telepathy may sound way out and thrilling , but it's not really as one only hears what will be said anyway. It is probably most useful in the thoughts department at home knowing what others are needing and I find that works on a daily basis. To develop the ability I believe that one needs to develop higher degrees of empathy with others and increase periods of alpha rather than beta brain states. Telepathy is an aspect of psychic ability.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The OP has posed an interesting question, and it is nice to see a positive light being shined on this topic as usually we see schizophrenia and those that live with it more often associated with as a dark and destructive element in society. Sadly there are many totally lost in mystery of this disease. But also those that can break down popular perception of this disease. I play chess against a guy in town five days a week( who is now a friend) who lives with schizophrenia. He is homeless, but a bunch of us have kind of(chess players...lawyers, doctors, bankers, couriers, trades people that all play in the park in town) taken on looking after him( with the necessities, food, clothes, etc. We got him a place but he could not live with others). He has totally walked away from his former life for obvious reasons and refuse to beg, or sign on for government assistance, people just help him as he is a great guy. He had never played chess until he stated living in the park, but now he has an incredible grasp and vision of the game. He is also amazing with numbers and complex puzzles.
It is quite obvious that he is extremely intelligent and an absolute miracle of perseverance and strength that he has not dissolved into the pattern of alcohol and drug abuse many in his situation succumb too. Anyway, he said the most incredible thing to me when we were discussing schizophrenia.....he said " i don't suffer from schizophrenia, although that was what i have been told. I realised that what i suffered from most was how people treated me, when told i was schizophrenic, fear, suspicion and mistrust, and when i saw this in those i loved most, i suffered the most".

Interesting thoughts and posts.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Anonymous,

Thank you so much for coming here and sharing your experience. It takes guts, really. Sweet post!
The original post was just a musing, because abilities which are considered "supernatural" or "paranormal" are commonly cast out of mainstream society as "crazy" in general and typically schizophrenic in particular.

I know exactly what you mean, anon. I have experienced the same thing consistently, all of my life. I didn't know it was telepathy until a couple years ago. I won't talk about that as it's outside the scope of this thread, but if you're interested just click on my handle and look at my previous thread dated 2006.

I believe there are different "levels" of telepathy coinciding with different levels of awareness of the ability. I believe that an individual can have sudden leaps in understanding at certain times due to increased levels of empathy or vulnerability without "shutting down" emotionally, or becoming fearful. Instead you become aware of an extra-sensory ability that you were endowed with from birth.

I would like to hear more about these alpha and beta brain states and your hypothesis surrounding them. Please explain this more in depth. Perhaps with a brief primer on these brain states as well. I hope this is not too much to ask.

Yes, telepathy is one discipline of the mind, of several that I am aware of.

P.S.
Anonymous, I hope you will register and come back to us, tell us who you are. My curiosity is piqued now. You seem like a sweet woman and I hope you'll join us

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Atlasastro,

I agree with you when you say that there are many lost in the mystery of the disease. They "slip through the cracks" in our understanding of the human mind. It is a nebulous area.

I was personally touched by your story of the gentleman in the park. I used frequent a cafe just like that in Oakland. People from all walks of life played chess, sudoku, cross-words, talked about religion and politics, sometimes had a BBQ, but mostly we became friends on that patch of sidewalk.

Your friend sounds like a rare bird. A person who doesn't quite fit the stereotype of a houseless person (I make the distinction between housless and homeless as it sounds like he's got a home at the cafe
).

" i don't suffer from schizophrenia, although that was what i have been told. I realised that what i suffered from most was how people treated me, when told i was schizophrenic, fear, suspicion and mistrust, and when i saw this in those i loved most, i suffered the most".

...That is one of the more lucid and unflinchingly honest things I've seen. Tell your friend that he's got a friend here on ATS.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
i say just the opposite i think schitzophrenia is undiognosed telepathy, ive been in looney binsfor periods of time and i often wandered are these people using a differant part of there brain and really are hearing and seeing things we cannot!!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
No its the other way around.

Schitzophrenia is undiagnosed Telepathy. Amongst other psychic abilities.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Encarta Dictionary: (North America)

schiz.o.phre.ni.a (noun)
skitse free'nee e]

1.psychiatric disorder with symptoms of withdrawal into self

a severe psychiatric disorder with syptoms of emotional instability, detachment from reality, and withdrawal into the self

2.offensive term
an offensive term for a state characterised by contradictory or conflicting attitudes, behavior, or qualities

(insult)

Interesting the parable here is that most have schizophrenia by the definition alone, if it those that are detached and look into themselves for answers, we are all in trouble. And how many different emotions do we exhibit, the medical field sure wouldn't make any money if everybody knew what the definition actually was.

The more attune you become with the Universe at large the more you will feel things on a cellular level, by that I mean its like every one of your cells will have a feeling of sense of itself.

All the great thinkers of any era would be perplexed on how to get by the -psychiatric emphasis- inless they knew already that field is past due for renewel.

Encarta Encyclopedia:North america

re.al.i.ty (noun)
ree a'lletee]

1. real existence
actual being or existance, as opposed to an imaginary, idealized, or false nature

2.all that exists or happens
everything that actually does or could exist or happen in real life

3.something that exists or happens
something that has real existance and must be dealt with in real life
>a vision that ignores the realities of the business world

4.type of existance
an existance or universe, either connected with or independent from other kinds

>fantastic notions of alternative realities

5.totality of real things
PHILOSOPHY the totality of real things in the world, independednt of people's knowledge or perception of them

in reality
in actual fact

[edit on 28-5-2008 by menguard]

[edit on 28-5-2008 by menguard]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor has a brother that suffers from schizophrenia.

She mentions him only briefly but, she goes on to talk about the left part of the brain (wired in serial) and the right (wired in parallel) and what they do.

She does not talk about telepathy but, what she does say is AMAZING!

www.ted.com...

I reckon telepathy to be a form of empathy (reading the mind using feeling / emotion)........stepping into someone else's shoes.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by menguard

Hey MG,

It's pretty cool to realize that reality is just "everything that actually does or could exist or happen in real life" HA! The doors of unlimited possibility are open... "Encarta" told me it was so

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join