It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

I haven't seen many alternatives that sound better yet.

I would hope there is some alternative. Even a program where they were offered the opportunity to work through some government enterprise, at a decent living wage, would be better than carting them off like cattle.

Where that may not be the intent of the program that is how it will be perceived by those going to it. And no matter what the intent is, you have already given people the impression it is a bad thing. There is a stigma attached to it.

And no doubt some of the mentally ill and mentally disabled will be wrung through the same ringer.

When you start locking up people who can't support themselves you best be prepared to build a lot of prisons.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
hahahaha halarious.

the kids DONT HAVE TO participate, but then the government DOESNT HAVE TO give them money.

we have a similar set up here in Australia though no boot camps. i actually work for a government funded organisation who runs "Work For The Dole" training programs and community services.

If the government is expected to give the unemployed money then it isnt too much to ask that, after a certain period of time, if the claimant hasn't found a job to give something of their time back to the community.

Or to engage in training programs that will give them skills to make them more employable.

Mutual obligation isnt a bad idea. And it isnt just for the youths over here any able bodied person upto 40 or so is required to perform these duties.

works well enough.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Number one... 'tis true. If you choose not to buy into the system, you should not expect the system to give you any free handouts.

BUT

This is a messed up system. Money has become equated with life and the system is hopelessly corrupt. It's been this way for a couple of thousand years. Money is worthless, and I wish people could realize this. It's not too hard to see. Can money really make your life worth living? Most people are living only to make more money, get more stuff, buy into "the American Dream", have that next orgasm that leads to the next spoiled brat who gets brainwashed by tv into wanting all the useless pieces of plastic.... a vicious cycle of consuming everything, but gaining nothing except things we don't really need. In the end, most families are strained and some are completely broken. Most people hate their jobs. Hmmm...

This is not living. Compassion would do a lot of people good. If a person is not wanting to tolerate the system, but still has things to contribute to society, we should not turn them away. We definitely should not force them into labor for the government OR force them to join the army.

Pretty soon, we're gunna have to tell the government to go eat a giant chode and blow their greedy corrupt head off, or we'll blow it off for them.

This goes for the entire world.

We can control ourselves, ya fake lying pieces of # that pretend to be controlling us for our own good.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that it is the responsibility of every government to provide a job suited to the skills of the individual, should the individual be unable to find one independantly. This is the very heart of any society.
Valuing the individual and supporting them in a way which benefits the whole of society.

Unfortunately that is not the noble philosophy being proposed.
Work camps have been done before. As have poorhouses and other horror storys.

Since the energy industry is so greedy governments should employ anyone possible in developing renewable clean energy. They should sell the energy back to the people, and stop taxing them. Any niche of society which is not being fulfilled should be fair game for a government industry. Since governments are notoriously inefficient, they cannot outcompete free enterprise and are no competative threat.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Superb intention, sub-par execution.

I have no respect for anyone who is of working age, able bodied, refuses to work and instead goes on the dole.

They should not have labelled these camps as "boot camps", its horribly evocative of authoritarian states.

I would much rather have seen a "government funded initiative to guarantee job accessibility". The tories have a thing or two to learn about Spin from NuLab!

+ points to the Tory party for going after welfare claimants who are offered a job and decline it. The number of jobs declined by this underclass additionally leads to the migration of gastarbeiters, who send money away to their home countries... so this is a doubly loaded economic issue.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think there is a problem here.

Officer : Right you lot are off to bootcamp, you jobless wonders.
Scum : No we're not dickhead
Officer : Errr.... Please?
Scum : # off
Officer : OK, sorry to bother you.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

I'm all for Mutual obligation until it becomes detrimental to the jobseeker. There was a study paper that revealed people who participated in the work for the dole scheme were less likely to enter paid work than those who don't take part in the scheme. Not only that, work for the dole costs jobs by replacing paid positions. And finally, if the govt really wants to entice people to get a job they should at least pay the going rates for the days they worked rather then awarding a measly $5.00 per day for travel expenses.

*Disclaimer, this info is at least 3 years old so things might be different now but I doubt it. Back then I participated and thoroughly enjoyed the experience except it did leave me out of pocket.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
'Worthless scum' can't pay taxes. By any means government MUST survive if they are to rule.....ruin...err....uhhhh...I mean keep us free.

Ahem...Let's clear this up right now shall we.

So called 'worthless scum', AKA unemployed kids, are not worthless and DO pay taxes, quite a lot of taxes. In fact, if these unemployed young people stopped paying 17.5% VAT tax on virtually every item they buy or consume, the government would be in serious trouble.

They also pay up to 80% tax on every litre of fuel the put into their scooters or small cars.

Booze anyone?

They pay wagonloads of tax on every alcopop they drink.

The list goes on and on and on.

Why do most people think that because you don't pay INCOME tax, you're a non taxpayer? Nothing is further from the truth in fact.

Worthless scum? Try 'Not quite as valuable as all the other properly conditioned scum', that would fit better.

spikey

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Wow...just wow...some of the overtly dramatised comments here....

This is the conservatives idea to bring back some form of national service, but not militarily based.

The title of the thread is completely misleading. Its a proposal by a party that isn't likley to be in government for another year and a half - and thats IF they get voted in (and theres no guarantee of that even though the conservatives are ahead in polls at the moment).

Related BBC News Article

Its not some gulag, or anything remotely similar.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I hope they have a Jews-only camp being planned.

I would hate to have to spend time with all the riff-raff the police would be dragging in from the streets.

And if they don't build a camp just for us Jews.... Well that is outright antisemitism.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

So they pay sales taxes on the things they buy? Where do they get the money to buy these things?

The tax they are 'paying' is being paid with money they have extracted directly from the system. If they spend £100 and the taxpayer gets £17.50 back in tax that's still a net loss of £82.50.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
In my opinion this is good.

The reason we have so many polish people over here is because the "lazy claimants" of the UK will not do it. They want money for nothing when they have no qualifications.

I can only see good come from this to be honest and knife crime would probably drop substantially

CX

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
As has been said already, a very misleading title.

They do not mean "camps" as in detainment camps.

CX.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
This wont work and here are the reasons. I have been unemployed and pushed through the "system" like a piece of cattle fodder.
!/Teaching these kids how to write a CV is pointless if the Jobs are not there in the first place. I work as a volunteer for the Princes Trust and Nacro. I have spoken to these guys and the majority want to work but dont want some dead end Job stacking shelves in Tesco or a hugh warehouse for a pittance of a wage that ammounts to slave labour. So what do they do? turn to crime, drugs etc.
This program is paying lip service to the real problem the lack of decent jobs. Would you want your 16 year old to work 40 hours a week for £80??? One of the young persons I am mentoring does just that and feels exploited .

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I swear the conservatives are stealing my ideas, that's it i'm going to sue!

I cannot actually put into words how much i like this idea, i see these jobless filth every now and then and it sickens me. I can't work through ill health and i absolutely hate being on benefits, i've tried everythingo get off and yet these able bodied people seem quite cntent to sit on the settee all day watching some chat show starring people with the IQ of your average glass of water.

Whilst some people are just unlucky and have trouble finding work, there are a great deal who just don't want to work. I think however that the 3 month rule is wrong, it should be lengthened to maybe 8 months as this seems to be about the time that most people need to find a new job. After that though then yes, boot camp their arses.

Originally posted by alchemy
I have spoken to these guys and the majority want to work but dont want some dead end Job stacking shelves in Tesco or a hugh warehouse for a pittance of a wage that ammounts to slave labour. So what do they do? turn to crime, drugs etc.

I've stacked shelves instead of turning to crime, i had more self respect than if i'd gone out and sold drugs or mugged someone. The people you're talking about are scum if they turn downa job to commit crime instead.

Originally posted by alchemy
This program is paying lip service to the real problem the lack of decent jobs. Would you want your 16 year old to work 40 hours a week for £80??? One of the young persons I am mentoring does just that and feels exploited.

I think you have your figures very wrong. Either the people telling you they earn £80 a week are lying, they're working for cash in hand or you're making up figures. At the current minimum wage, 40 hours a week would rake in £136 before tax.

If the young person you knw is getting £80 pounds then his employer is breaking the law not giving minimum wage.

Edited due to a mistake

[edit on 27-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Wow...

That is creepy.

I know the UK has a lot of unemployment, but surely there's better ways of encouraging people to get jobs.
Sticking people into camps is very wrong.

Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?

Sad.

Most of these jobless youths are scum and need putting into camps in my opinion. They're lazy and it makes me sick that my taxes are being wasted on these people.

I see them just scrounging around the town center all day, shouting abuse at people and causing trouble. If I had my way, they'd be shot.

You say, "Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?" but I bet they're disgusted with the state of this country.

Something drastic needs to be done to show them they can't sit on their arses and sponge off the workers of the UK for the rest of their lives.

The camps won't be like the holocaust, very far from it. Probably more like National Service which I think should have been brought back years ago.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

There are some interesting points to note here. First off this is to my knowledge, the first free nation to start a program to round up it less desirable citizens and put them in camps. In the U.S. there is talk of many detention centers that are already built, and specilily out fitted rail cars to transport people, like the way the Nazies did things. I am all for getting people off the Dole. Putting people in camps is just a little to authoritarian for me.

Not the first nation. Under totalitarian communism having no job was illegal. So police would stop people on the street and check if they had a job. If they did not, they would get one, because everything was state owned.

And the factories kept producing stuff, useful or not, people had to work somewhere, the factories could not be closed, in the end this brought the collapse of the communist economy

Did you know that in 1927, only 14% of the shoe factories in USA were enough to produce one year's supply of shoes ? The rest had to export.
That is 1927. Imagine today. They turned us into a consumer society

www.orionmagazine.org...

What they want with this program is that everyone get into "work buy consume die" lifestyle. With today's technology we could reduce the work time ti 1/4 or less. The rest of the time do nothing, invent new stuff, protect the environment. Not what our leaders want

[edit on 27-5-2008 by pai mei]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
My eldest son spent a year on the dole because he couldn't be bothered to go to Uni and was even less inclined to find a job. His forty quid a week from the Government was just enough for him to give me a few bob housekeeping and then keep him in books and games to stop him getting bored. At the time, I seriously wished he couldn't claim any money as I'm sure he would then have hauled himself out of bed and found a job.

Interestingly, a lot of other mums were having the same problem with their 18/19 year old sons.

Ours certainly isn't a family where anyone freeloads - we have very strong work ethics - so I just don't know what happened with him. I would have kicked him out but then he would have been put in a hostel and would have cost the state even more money.

I coerced him into joining a Princes Trust scheme, supposedly to help him gain skills to get a job, and he ended up showing those running the scheme how to prepare job applications and cv's, and how to use their computer programmes etc. He left feeling even less positive about being able to get job than when he started.

I don't want to knock the kids who live in areas where there really is a shortage of work, or those who have grown up with their families on benefits and know no different. But I do think somethings got to be done, and the idea of them having to do some kind of community work for their dole money is, in my opinion, the best option.

I expect there will be a big hue and cry from the civil rights lobby claiming slave labour and that they're taking jobs from others, but we are all paying for these kids through our taxes and they are contributing nothing.

I doubt very much if any government would be able to put these kids into a boot camp, its just not the way things are done over here, but a scheme where they only got their dole if they worked for it sounds great to me!

Cheers

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Wow we have a war on the jobless now..

Hey remember how the war on terror went? or how about the cool on The war on drugs...

Those all worked out good in the end didn't they??

OHHH wait a minute they both sucked... HINT HINT!!!!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
www.orionmagazine.org...

Machines can save labor, but only if they go idle when we possess enough of what they can produce. In other words, the machinery offers us an opportunity to work less, an opportunity that as a society we have chosen not to take

Anyone got a problem with that ? Stop working ! Please go carry a rock up and down a hill if bored, just stop producing useless stuff and destroying the planet

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join