It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
So, because I've had some bad luck the last few months I ought to be shipped off to a concentration camp?
The worlds gone beyond mad. I can't think of words to describe how insulted I feel now.

You might feel less insulted if you read the article.

In a significant hardening of Conservative policy towards welfare claimants, he will announce the abolition of benefit payments for any able-bodied person under 21 who is out of work for more than three months and who refuses to go on a compulsory community service programme or a "boot camp" training course aimed at improving their work discipline and giving them basic skills to get a job.

They're not talking about shipping people off anywhere, much less a concentration camp. You have the choice of attending a training course, doing community service work or losing your benefits.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by azzllin

If you're on DLA I presume you'll also have your council tax and rent subsidised if not fully paid for, if so stop f**king moaning because that 250 is a lot better than a working person who has to go out, work all week, come home, pay his mortgage, council tax and then feed his kids.

Maybe if you stopped buying 50" TVs and other unrequired # from the catalogues you wouldn't have an issue.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I'll start by saying I've not read through the entire thread. I should have done, but I haven't.

You should ahve because you've missed some serious points.

However, I ended up losing my job and leaving college round about the same time. Not my fault, just the way things went.
And now I'm on welfare. But I'm not some freeloading scumbag whos laughing at people who pay their taxes. I paid taxes when I worked, and it bloody crippled me sometimes.

Forgive me for asking but how was it not your fault you dropped out of college? I don't want that to sound mean it's just an honest question.

I WANT to work. But you try and find a job that doesn't involve walking an hour and a half to start a factory shift at 6am then finding you have to walk home for that long again, because public transport to the industrial areas stops at 5pm. Which is what its like in my area.

That's the reality, my own father did that for many years until he became to old to do it. He biked to work, and i mean push bike not motorbike. Self worth was everything to him, he felt working, even if it gave him less money was better than sitting on benefits.

Basically, I decided against going to university to study for a degree, so the system has done me over. So has my old boss, I was fired for something completely beyond my control, I'd admit it if I'd fecked something up.

If you decided not to go you did yourself over.

So, because I've had some bad luck the last few months I ought to be shipped off to a concentration camp?

Again you should have read the thread. These are not CAMPS! You will nt be shipped there and locked up, they are places where you visit, learn and leave each day. Your benefits would be dependant on you visiting the centre each day to do a course or learn a trade or other things like this.

Basically you are choosing to sit on your backside no one is making you. Yes it's hard but that's life. You can chose to stick with it and work your backside off or sit on that backside. I know which i'd prefer.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
I can't believe I just read that. This line really caught my eye.

There will be employment 'boot camps' and community work programmes for those who don't find a job. Staying at home doing nothing will be a thing of the past."

So if you fail to find a job within 3 month's, you are either put on a chain gang, I mean a community work program or sent to prison, I mean an employment boot camp. That's crazy.

May I ask what is wrong with taking people not doing anything productive to the country but sitting on their arse and lapping up government funded programs, funded by those who are productive.... and making them work for the better of the nation? I don't see anything wrong with that, in fact, I think America should implement the same program! Every white trash trailer rat in the country sucking up welfare and popping out bastard children should be forced into a program not unlike those of the Great Depression and work, with hard labor, for their once "free" Welfare that we the tax paying people pay towards!!

I see nothing at all wrong with this program. Taking the lazy and debilitated youth and enacting a bit of discipline and hard work will do them good. I think they should remain in the program until they find another job.

Yes, there are some people out there who don't know what's best for them, and in these cases the institutions that be ought to be showing them what they need.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

OK.
So I've actually read it now, I flew off the handle a bit before, I'd only been awake 10 minutes and was a bit annoyed that I've wasted a day (today was going to be a day of job hunting). Going on a training course would be great, I'd love to do that. Have they offered me one? No.

Have I enquired about them? Yes. Will they send me on one? Apparently not, because I supposedly have enough qualifications.
Despite the fact I can't get a job because I don't have much experience.

I didn't drop out of college, I passed all 4 of my A Levels (just not when people normally do). Which it now seems were a waste of 2-and-a-bit years. (I ended up being set back a few months because of an injury which meant I couldn't attend class for 6 months, but I still stuck it out when I recovered and eventually passed the courses, albeit a bit late.)

In essence I now think it may be a decent idea. BUT, isn't it just another way to lower the unemployment figures? Theres a lot more people in this country without jobs than 'our' government would have you believe, I'm sure of it.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

In essence I now think it may be a decent idea. BUT, isn't it just another way to lower the unemployment figures? Theres a lot more people in this country without jobs than 'our' government would have you believe, I'm sure of it.

Yep, there's 2.7 million people on incapacity benefit - and rising.

It's not a stop gap anymore - for some, it's a lifestyle choice and all the government want to do is fudge the figures so that they look like they have done something positive.

In the eighties we had "jobclubs" which were essentially useless unless you had the brain of a goldfish.

These will be the same - at the end of the day though, it might get some of the chavs off the streets for a few hours.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

It won't do much about the chavs IMO. They're just the ones who are happy living off other people's graft. OK, so that is what I'm doing.. but unlike them, I feel quite bad.

I'll contribute something to society as soon as I find something worthwhile contributing. 12 hour shifts packing Snack-a-Jacks for minimum wage surrounded by people who can't speak English isn't worthwhile to me, hence why I don't do that anymore.
Even though the Jobcentre is trying to tell me thats a perfectly reasonable existence.

If I'm allowed to learn a job I'm happy doing then I'll do it. Theres no point doing something you aren't happy with, and although I know we don't live in an ideal world, I still stand by my morals.
Which means I'm getting about £96 every fortnight to live off. Doesn't go far when you spend all day every day with not much to do.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

With your A levels, you could have a reasonable entry level in the civil service, whether that be local government or tax office etc etc

I know admin work isn't everyones cup of tea, but working for any form of government has plenty of benefits.

In one of the poorest parts of the country (where I live) an admin assistant can expect to start at around 13K - which isn't great, but it's not bad either.

Plus you have all the benfits of pensions, working practices and the chance to climb the ladder in basically a job for life, or however long you want it for.

Sorry to go off topic - but it's that or "boot camp"

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
What about the availability of jobs? Where I live in Wolverhampton unemployment is quite high as the manufacturing industry has slowly died. The manufacturing industry hasn't been replaced by anything expect retail. The only reason the retail sector has grown is because of ridiculous amounts of credit being given to people who shouldn't have been given credit in the first place.

WHAT HAVE THE GOVERNMENT DONE TO REPLACE THE MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY? WHY WON'T THE GOVERNMENT LET PEOPLE CLAIMING JSA DO A FULL TIME COLLEGE COURSE? Currently you're only allowed to do 15 hours per week. If the manufacturing industry hasn't been replaced, and the people aren't allowed to further their education at college, then how can people with no skills get work?

We have thousands upon thousands of Eastern Europeans in the Midlands, I love them! The women are so so beautiful. I love their food as well, but they've took all the low paid jobs that were left, fruit picking and warehouse jobs. These people are prepared to work for lower rates, thus bringing down the wages even further.

If the Government want more people working they need to look at the reasons for high unemployment. Yes, there are a minority of people who don't wish to work, but for a lot of youngsters they're growing up in areas that are falling from grace. They can't help it if there's no decent jobs to apply for.

Look at the Welsh mining villages, Thatcher closed the mines down in the eighties, still to this day those villages are experiencing high levels of unemployment, drug abuse, teenage pregnancies and crime, why? BECAUSE THE JOBS WEREN'T REPLACED AND THEY'VE GOT NO JOBS TO APPLY FOR.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Wow...

That is creepy.

I know the UK has a lot of unemployment, but surely there's better ways of encouraging people to get jobs.
Sticking people into camps is very wrong.

Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?

Sad.

ahh yes, the heroic days we all fondly remember as a nation- our grandfathers boldly marched off to fight Hitler and his Nazis, and free those unemployed folk who were being trained in skills which may aide their uability to find work

[edit on 27-5-2008 by blueorder]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

ahh yes, the heroic days we all fondly remember as a nation- our grandfathers boldly marched off to fight Hitler and his Nazis, and free those unemployed folk who were being trained in skills which may aide their uability to find work

[edit on 27-5-2008 by blueorder]

And those who didn't like the skills being forced upon them were gassed and burned...
I'm getting worried now...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Firstly Tories have to win an election, and i doubt they will win another election for some years to come.

Like someone has already mentioned the influx of eastern europeans has virtually killed our job market. i watched something on TV the other day were an employer said he would rather employ a migrant as they are better workers and dont have time off.

also the boot camp thing will never work and will never happen but i can see people cleaning litter off the streets and painting old peoples garden fences for their giros.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
why dont they get rid of all the immigrants first..i have read that there is nearly 8 million in a country of 71 million ..thats a lot of people....i also dont think people will willing go to these camps....will the unemployed have to wear a star of david patch sown on all there clothes ?.......i would also like to ad that the paper boy who used to deliver the paper in my street has been replaced by a Moroccan man in his 20's..

[edit on 27-5-2008 by fatdad]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
why dont they get rid of all the immigrants first..i have read that there is nearly 8 million in a country of 71 million ..thats a lot of people....i also dont think people will willing go to these camps....will the unemployed have to wear a star of david patch sown on all there clothes ?

This is nothing more than a vote winner. It will never see the light of the day.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

What people are forgetting is that there has to be jobs out there for these people to get. I don't know how it is in the UK but are there enough jobs for these kids? Around my area there is a lack of jobs because of government policies and unfair taxation. They have successfully driven off a good portion of the jobs and wonder how it happened. THey keep raising the taxes on the companies still here and make it so impossible for other companies to come in that the city is dying. It's not a small city either. Everyone is fleeing to the suburbs and now the government is trying to stick their fingers in that cookie jar.

I guess what I am getting at is this: is there a reason for the lack of jobs or is it simply a lack of interest in finding what is there? If it is the latter then maybe these people are asking for it. I just can't see how this will benefit the 'free world'. It just seems to me that the government is trying to get people used to the idea.

Paint a broad stroke with the brush making these youths out to be brigands and such so that the imprisonment is more widely accepted. Then when phase 2 begins and non-working adults get taken away it's another 'well, they were bad people' type of attitude. The government gets the dirt cheap labor for the work being performed by these people and it starts to resemble a communist state. Hmmmmm....get my drift?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

I'd be quite happy with a communist state. Honestly I would, at least then (with the exception of the rulers of course) everybody would have an equal chance.

As I'm sure I've already mentioned, I'm being snubbed because Polish immigrants (theres a lot of them round here) will do the rubbish jobs at minimum wage.. which I'd be happy doing for a couple more quid an hour. And theres the whole me-not-having-a-degree thing, which is a major setback.

Wouldn't happen in a communist society. Either, we'd all be happy as larry or we'd all be fooked. Can't argue with that

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This sounds fair enough to me. The amount of lazy indigenous British people who feel that they are above unskilled work like veggie fuit picking factory work is appaling. These jobs are taken up by European immigrants which then lead to some of these same people crying foul crying about 'theri jobs' being taken. There is a job for every person in the U.K if they want one.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fatdad

Er the UK has a population of 60 million and at most 1 million eastern european temporary immigrants who all now appear to be heading home.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
This sounds fair enough to me. The amount of lazy indigenous British people who feel that they are above unskilled work like veggie fuit picking factory work is appaling. These jobs are taken up by European immigrants which then lead to some of these same people crying foul crying about 'theri jobs' being taken. There is a job for every person in the U.K if they want one.

You're not listening mate. Most of the unskilled jobs have gone abroad. We hardly have a manufacturing industry left. A lot of the fruit that grows in this country gets thrown away because it gets unpicked. Even the European workers have had enough of picking fruit. They've had enough because the affects of picking fruit are very bad one ones health, pick fruit for one year and you'll have a bad back. Most fruit pickers don't even pick up minimum wage. The working conditions of picking fruit are quite terrible. Why pick fruit when it won't even cover the rent and food bill?

People aren't going to work these crappy jobs when they're picking more money up on benefits than low paid jobs. Who's fault it that?

Maybe the Government should stop taxing the low paid so much.
Maybe the Government shouldn't make it so comfortable on benefits.
Maybe if the Government gave the unskilled incentives to work, they would.

Now please jog on troll.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 27uTuesday08/27/20 by paul76]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join