It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

www.blacklistednews.com

A future Conservative government will bring in "boot camps" for unemployed young people aged between 18 and 21 who refuse to take a job, Chris Grayling, the party's welfare spokesman, will say tomorrow.
In a significant hardening of Conservative policy towards welfare claimants, he will announce the abolition of benefit payments for any able-bodied person under 21 who is out of work for more than three months and who refuses to go on a compulsory community service programme or a "boot camp"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
There are some interesting points to note here. First off this is to my knowledge, the first free nation to start a program to round up it less desirable citizens and put them in camps. In the U.S. there is talk of many detention centers that are already built, and specilily out fitted rail cars to transport people, like the way the Nazies did things. I am all for getting people off the Dole. Putting people in camps is just a little to authoritarian for me.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
*lights a cigarette, smiles*

Considering i live in the U.K and am unemployed (and enjoying it) for the time being, this concerns me somewhat.

One thing makes me wonder though - these kids are refusing to take jobs?

Little *snip* don't know a gift horse when it kicks them in the *snip*.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow...

That is creepy.

I know the UK has a lot of unemployment, but surely there's better ways of encouraging people to get jobs.
Sticking people into camps is very wrong.

Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?

Sad.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Sounds to me that its like extra schooling after your final year.
I don't think it will work that well, as it will expose disadvantaged (or under educated) people and giving what they might need, specialized training, would be too expensive.
It is going to be interesting what companies come up with though.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I can't believe I just read that. This line really caught my eye.

There will be employment 'boot camps' and community work programmes for those who don't find a job. Staying at home doing nothing will be a thing of the past."

So if you fail to find a job within 3 month's, you are either put on a chain gang, I mean a community work program or sent to prison, I mean an employment boot camp. That's crazy.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I'm sure you can get no benefits and not have to do any boot camp training.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Or you go into a gang. Or you go to school. Or you have a boring life, having a minimum salary job. Government should STFU and stay the fark out of people's life. If people want to be worthless scum, let them be. Someday they will wake up.

And it's either you'll be a slave for the government or a slave to the big corporations. YAY liberty! UK has always been a fascist state, just hidden in some way. When you still got a queen, there's a HUGE problem.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Or you go into a gang. Or you go to school. Or you have a boring life, having a minimum salary job. Government should STFU and stay the fark out of people's life. If people want to be worthless scum, let them be. Someday they will wake up.

And it's either you'll be a slave for the government or a slave to the big corporations. YAY liberty! UK has always been a fascist state, just hidden in some way. When you still got a queen, there's a HUGE problem.

[edit on 26-5-2008 by Vitchilo]

'Worthless scum' can't pay taxes. By any means government MUST survive if they are to rule.....ruin...err....uhhhh...I mean keep us free.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
+ for the thought
- for the implementation

Having places to go to get a job would be great. I've been unemployed before and it sucks surviving on cheese and crackers in someone's basement.

Such a thing should be a choice though, not forced. While they're at it, they can get rid of welfare as long as these "boot camps" are not horrible places to work and would give someone enough money to get by until they found something better.

+5 more 
posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This is directed to welfare claimants. Why are able bodied
18-21 year olds on welfare.

If you want the government to pay your way, youve got to do
whatever they say.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

'Worthless scum' can't pay taxes. By any means government MUST survive if they are to rule.....ruin...err....uhhhh...I mean keep us free.

Well you give them jobs as police. That's what the US is doing. Or you put them in jail for little crimes so that they can work in prisons for .25$/hour. Or you put them in the army so that you can use them to spread the empire and get more slaves.

That's probably what it will be. No job? Put them in a camp (government jail) so they can make stuff for .25$/hour or we send you overseas in Iran, where you can't go back on your own. If you try, we kill you on the spot.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Am I the only one so far that thinks this is an excellent idea and I wish they would do it here in the U.S. as well!?

Obviously the parents aren't instilling a work ethic into these kids or they would be going to college or working or both at the same time.

And as Josephine said and I agree with, why should able-bodied 18+ year olds be suckling from any government's teat?

Actually to go a step further, I know some adults that could use a little boot camp action as well!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I have to admit, it will give the freeloaders an incentive to do something with their lives. No more living off mommy and daddy. Nothing like a good swift kick in the boot camp to make them take a little responsibility for their own lives.

It's still a very scary step, or slippery slope, that is being taken.

You start with the lazy teens and before you know it the pensioners have their own camps as well. For their own good mind you.

I read on ATS yesterday where someone referred to the U.K. as, "New Alcatraz."

I'm seriously starting to think they're hitting the mark with that statement.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
About time too. I wont believe it till i see it though, dont trust the uk goverment on any level. If they can pull it off, i think it will be a great idea these kids have being getting away with too much.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This will be pointless if the kids could just leave at will

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Well I suppose that this will eliminate any potential 'starving artists'.

Wow, this is a really lame idea.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

It's still a very scary step, or slippery slope, that is being taken.

I agree. It's a precarious situation.

It would be downright atrocious in America though. It's one of those great ideas that looks wonderful on the surface, but once it is implemented it does more damage than anyone cares to recognize.

It might do a certain amount of good for the city dwelling street kids, but think what the effects would be in small towns where the population of the county is 20,000 and the job base is built around the McDonalds/Wal-mart combinations where minimum wage is everywhere and there is an abundance of possible employees.

This has nothing to do with helping the kids off the street; it has more to do with controlling them.

In America it would become like those small town federally funded jails, just another avenue of income for the county at the expense of freedom.

The swift kick should go to the people who think this is a solution.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Well, the crime from the street kids seems to be WAY out of control. Something has to be done and I think this could be a decent step. I think they could have worded it in a way to make it sound a little less like Nazi concentration camps though. I don't know if this is the best solution but at least it shows that they are making an effort.

I haven't seen many alternatives that sound better yet.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who is posting

I just want to chime in again that it is a good idea to get people off the Dole, or in this case make them do some work for the Dole.
It is also scary where all this might lead.
I do think we are all going to be seeing more of this. As some one said, if you are going to take the governments money, you will do as they say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join