It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless UK Youths To Be Put Into Camps

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Ha ha check you out you mug......If there is a job any job you take it and show yourself some kind of self-respect instead of sitting around and doing nothing. There are jobs advertised everywhere within the cities of England, there is no excuse apart from health reasons not to have a job. There are clearly less jobs in the rural areas of England which needs to be sorted out but i'm not sure how...mabye an increase in the farming industry?

Why should you need an incentive to work other than to earn a wage and support yourself? The tax in this country is like any other country...deal with it it's the way it is, you won't change it by not working. Plus there is loads of unskilled factory work, bar work, shop work....if you want more work for it, it won't fall into your lap.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by paul76

Maybe the Government should stop taxing the low paid so much.
Maybe the Government shouldn't make it so comfortable on benefits.
Maybe if the Government gave the unskilled incentives to work, they would.

Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I'd rather sit here doing nothing instead of breaking my back doing a naff job, then have less money when it comes to the weekend.

To all those who don't live in Britain, that is exactly what our society has come to.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by selfisolated

If you don't want a naff job then get some skills enroll in a course or go for management posisitions after working at this naff job for a while. There is the oppertunity for social mobility in this country if you are willing to work for it.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

I've got a job mate. I live very comfortable, but I'm not stupid enough to label everybody idle who's out of work. There are many circumstances which obviously you are ignorant off. I'm not even going to try and debate with you as you live thousands of miles away and you're basically looking for a fight.

I'll just stick you on ignore as that's the best place for your kind.

[edit on 27uTuesday08/27/20 by paul76]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

If you don't want a naff job then get some skills enroll in a course or go for management posisitions after working at this naff job for a while. There is the oppertunity for social mobility in this country if you are willing to work for it.

OK. Heard of a town called Wigan? Thought not.
Look it up and find a decent job there, enough money to pay rent, bills etc.
Then apply for it and actually be offered the job.

GOOD F'IN LUCK.

or do you just enjoy infuriating people?

/rant

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Well done on having a job, no i live in England and am English so am completly aware of the situation in my country...Like i said health, mental or physical problems are a valid reason not to be working, that's why the benefits are there not for people who are lazy. I kno alot of people like who live in my parents houses waiting for their dole check and doing nothing else.

Some people may of had difficult pasts such as drug addiction or abuse within the fmily and find it hard to integrate into a working environment and that is wrong and help should be provided.

You clearly do not wish to discuss this with me as i have made valid points that you cannot ignore or argue against. Come on argue your case or the mug point its proven

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I have heard of Wigan and have actually visited it, seems a nice place from what i can see. I am obviously not aware of the employment oppertunites there...and there clearly are problems at the moment with the rising energy costs and food bills which don't seem to be ebing matched by higher wages....Perhaps you could commute to Manchester where i am sure there are more oppertunites?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
Am I the only one so far that thinks this is an excellent idea and I wish they would do it here in the U.S. as well!?

Obviously the parents aren't instilling a work ethic into these kids or they would be going to college or working or both at the same time.

I completely agree, I spent two years working with unemployed 18-24 year old after leaving the forces and let me tell you that some ,not all, but some of them have no intention of working so long as the Government is giving them hand outs. They know how to play the system and openly state that they can earn more money selling drugs or stealing than they could make in a regular job. There are those that want to work but are finding it difficult to get a job but their are those that need a short sharp shock to make them realise that they have to pay their way in this world.
This isn't the mass concentration camp scheme that some on here are imagining. This is simply a few weeks of hard work and discapline. They can't bring back national service so this is the only way of instilling true values into a work shy, scrounging youth that thinks the world owes him or her a living.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by avriel

Agreed, this will install some self-respect with these people and make them want to do better....clealry isn't some big brother conspiracy act, the poepl of GB are angered by the lazy and jobless who we pay for to continue this way.

National service would have been the best thing but like you say it's not going to happen, i would have loved to of done that just for the skills and discipline you would of got out of it. Would be a making the UK a more productive society

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by avriel

Am I the only one so far that thinks this is an excellent idea and I wish they would do it here in the U.S. as well!?

Obviously the parents aren't instilling a work ethic into these kids or they would be going to college or working or both at the same time.

I completely agree, I spent two years working with unemployed 18-24 year old after leaving the forces and let me tell you that some ,not all, but some of them have no intention of working so long as the Government is giving them hand outs. They know how to play the system and openly state that they can earn more money selling drugs or stealing than they could make in a regular job. There are those that want to work but are finding it difficult to get a job but their are those that need a short sharp shock to make them realise that they have to pay their way in this world.
This isn't the mass concentration camp scheme that some on here are imagining. This is simply a few weeks of hard work and discapline. They can't bring back national service so this is the only way of instilling true values into a work shy, scrounging youth that thinks the world owes him or her a living.

Isn't this the parents fault though? Why are a minority of the youth like this today? It goes much further than the actual youth. You have to look at the reasons for their behaviour.

Also you have to blame the government for making the benefit option so attractive to this minority.

[edit on 27uTuesday08/27/20 by paul76]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

Your right, this does go further than the youth and in many cases it is the parents fault, they simply do not have any work ethics or social morals instilled into them. When I first started to work with unemployed youngsters I was shocked how many would say something along the lines of " Why should I work ? My mother and father have never worked and it hasn't done them any harm !"
We are in some areas on the second or third generation of benifit reliant families. Something has to be done to break the chain and change the mindset. Maybe a short sharp shock and a little discapline will work a treat.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
reply to post by budski

It won't do much about the chavs IMO. They're just the ones who are happy living off other people's graft. OK, so that is what I'm doing.. but unlike them, I feel quite bad.

I'll contribute something to society as soon as I find something worthwhile contributing. 12 hour shifts packing Snack-a-Jacks for minimum wage surrounded by people who can't speak English isn't worthwhile to me, hence why I don't do that anymore.
Even though the Jobcentre is trying to tell me thats a perfectly reasonable existence.

If I'm allowed to learn a job I'm happy doing then I'll do it. Theres no point doing something you aren't happy with, and although I know we don't live in an ideal world, I still stand by my morals.
Which means I'm getting about £96 every fortnight to live off. Doesn't go far when you spend all day every day with not much to do.

What's wrong with the Snack-a-Jack job? 12 hour shifts probably mean continental shifts. Seeing as most companies only make you work 3/4 of these shifts on alternating weeks with added shift allowances makes it more than minimum wage. Overtime rates in these types of places are pretty good too. Working with people who can't speak English isn't a bad thing. There are cultural differences but cultural similarities too. Learning about these people could help you find future employment or open you up to exploring other possible jobs. Hey even promotion would be easier if their understanding of English isn't as good as yours.

There are recruitmnent agencies out there who are PAID to find employees. I called up Manpower recently asking for info on a job with BT only to be told I can start on Monday. This was Friday afternoon after 3pm. I'm not a high-flying city banker or anything like it - I work in a call centre as a sales agent. Sure I get commission on top of a basic wage but the majority of my bonus is taken in tax, probably to sustain the likes of yourself sitting around. I'm not laying blame on you personally but I got the impression that you didn't want to work unless it paid well. Well I'm sorry to say that you have to work hard to get the better pay. It's not just handed to you like your Giro every fortnight. It'd be great to walk into a high paying job but these people work hard to get there. Ok others seemingly seem to land in schit and come out smelling of roses. It sickens me but it's just the way it is.

have you ever thought of starting your own business as I am doing? There are loads of resources available at your local Job Centre or council websites.

College perhaps? Tie this in with starting a business. DO a course in some sort of business course as well as internet marketing, that way you can work from home. I sense you want a job with little exertion.

This might be a surprise to you but nobody truly wants to work. Not in the sense that the majority of us do. That wee spotty freak in McDonald's doesn't want to be there flipping burgers, but he does because he HAS to not because he wants to. Do I want to sit on phones all day talking to customers about selling them a new mobile phone contract or thelikes, locked up in a big glass building sweating my balls off, watching the beautiful weather in summer? DO I fcuk! But we have to. As a society and for the idea of a society to work we ALL have to pull our weight to make it work. I've shovelled schit in abbatoirs in summer, I've counted cars at traffic lights in winter, I've been a cleaner, a window cleaner, worked in the finance sector as mortgage/insurance advisors, I've been in sales, construction and all without prior experience. I left school with no qualifications apart from SCE's - Scotlands equivalent of GCE's. Join the TA to gain extra skills. I think you're dragging your heels. Hope it works out for you.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think its the right think to do, stop these people living off the system for free, make them work and giving them a job gives them a chance.
And if they have been refusing jobs they should be made to do one as it shows that they clearly are just wanting to live for free.
And it keeps them off the streets which is an added bonus.
Well doen to the Tories for having the balls to say this

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

What happens when you go to college, graduate, and then cannot find a job? There are plenty of adults -- and I do mean plenty, many who've graduated from prestigious institutions -- who cannot find employment.

No doubt, if they can get the children, they will eventually get the parents, and those old enough to be parents.

Based on that article, I can envision a time when all adults will be required by government to produce taxable income. Back to the whole "productive citizens" thing again; only next time it'll be enforced. "You have three months to make it as an artist, or it's off to boot camp you go."

There seems to have been a fair amount of abuse concerning claims for "jobseekers allowance". No doubt, an end should be put to that. But the method? I don't agree with the method. That piece of legislation is bound to be a service for dysfunctional families. Broken homes will be a thing of the past.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

It does not sound like a rock and roll camp.
The better to make ones way in the Illumintainment biz.

Exercise and discipline is the cheap Nazi way.

Street camp is the best camp to find a job or intern at a high tech plant
or office.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

And as Josephine said and I agree with, why should able-bodied 18+ year olds be suckling from any government's teat?

Actually to go a step further, I know some adults that could use a little boot camp action as well!

You are not alone- I agree. Unemployed persons are not being rounded up and imprisoned. This is another option for people who are not employed- completely voluntary. I do hope that if this is also including single parents there will be provision for childcare. I dont know about the UK, but in many areas in the US a minimum wage job would not be enough income to cover daycare as well as well as food, clothes, shelter, etc. There are people who work and still collect food stamps and/or wellfare. I knew military who did, too.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I don't have a problem at all with having to work to receive some sort of Government welfare/subsidy. I just see a lot of room for abuse for this. I'm sure they have there heart in the right place but I just see this as forced labour. If it is an education or training program that will better the young coming out of these programs than fine. What happens if they live in a high unemployment area? Is it forced relocation? Some one said earlier in the thread if they don't get any money from the Gov., will they still be forced to work?

Where I am originally from, the unemployment rate can get as high as 25% at certain times of year due to the seasonal nature of the work. Many of the young people have jobs but they only last for 4-6 months. The job will be there for them next year(hopefully) but during the winter they collect EI. Should some one in that situation be forced to work to still receive their benefits?

Just to clarify a little better, I agree with you about people who are habitual welfare recipients should have to work to receive them. It just isn't as Black and White as that. There is a large grey area that is open to abuse.

Hell, if it's make every one 18-21 able bodied work, why not just re-institute the draft. To me, forced labour amounts to the same thing.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tmcloud

Well thats the problem mate.

They make it so you're better off than working.

No wonder we have these problems!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Wow...

That is creepy.

I know the UK has a lot of unemployment, but surely there's better ways of encouraging people to get jobs.
Sticking people into camps is very wrong.

Since when did we become the people our grandparents defended us from in the war?

Sad.

Well said!

They tried this approach time and time again a few years back and all it did was get thrown out by the EU Human Rights Act (enslavement more like!).
In the end a lame reality TV show was about all the government had to show for it.
So what the Tories are on about this time sounds like exactly the same approach labour had in the late 90s.
The common root of all ills in the UK is linked to the EU paralysing the UK with its lame and pussyfooting laws.
You can't tackle the crime/anti-social behaviour without ignoring the HRA (which is what many other EU countries do anyway) and going back 40 years or so to how they tackled problems back in those days, i.e birching, respect for elders and getting our industry back in shape.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join