It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the catch with the law of attraction?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Originally posted by TheGreySwordsman
The law of attraction is not particularly new. If one were to purchase a copy of the 1904 Advanced Course in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism, you'll find the law of attraction spoken about in some depth.

And in the works of the Sufis about a 1000 years earlier... and in the New Testament another 1000 years earlier...

I am not being fastidious - at least not without a VERY constructive reason... :-)

Exactly, it's not a new concept. They didn't conspire for thousands of years to boost the sales of a poor movie. If you come across the teachings of any Saint or Sage, you'll find the same ideas. In the 1904 Advanced Course, this was the first time I've heard it described by the term "Law of Attraction" but as we both stated, it's been mentioned in far older sources.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I'm actually quite satisfied with a lot of the answers. They are very profound. Thanks everyone.

Let me sum it up. Basically this thing is not new, it spawns from ancient eastern wisdoms. If that's the case, then I'm actually very familiar with it. A lot of members here actually respond to the questions as if they're answering about the ancient wisdoms. It settles it then, I got it.

It'll be interesting though, since there are 6 billion people right now, it means there are more people now learning about the ancient wisdoms, at least the repackaging of it. I wonder what will happen.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Let me sum it up. Basically this thing is not new, it spawns from ancient eastern wisdoms.

No, no: the "ancient wisdom" only acknowledged it, and often systematised its manifestations, it certainly called people's attention to it.

But this "law" is actually built-in in the very fabric of the universe - of existence.
Which means that anyone and everyone has the basic "tools" to access it: we were born with them.

P.S. I hope some silly sense of "pride" doesn't prevent you in the future from asking questions - or offering answers - in the other thread, too.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
How powerful is this law of attraction?
Can a single individual change everything?
Can it be used to achieve world peace?
Does it have a dark side?
Can it be used for something that is sinister?
Can you abuse this law?

1. How powerful is it?
It has no power, because it is not real. It is a new age concept that was popularized by "The Secret".

2. Can a single individual change everything?
Well, if you mean by using the law of attraction, then no. If you mean by be active in trying to changes things, then still no, because one person can not change everything. However, people who have a vision find a way to change things to them.

3. Can it be used to achieve world peace?
No, because of my answer for number one.

4. No, because its not real.

5. No, because its not real.

6. No, because its not real.

And if you have any further questions about it, most like the answer will be, No, because it is not real.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrox

Let's summarise it all in just two points:

1.) Your personal experience is your only reference point.

2.) You have not experienced the phenomenon we are talking about here.

Why, then, do you feel compelled to give a personal opinion on something you have no personal experience with? Do you do that in all areas where you are not proficient?

I hope, for your sake, that you are consistent - because consistence works as a path, if nothing else, and paths usually lead somewhere - and that you apply that point of view to all areas of experience.
(Which would mean, among other things, that you have no real reason to believe that the Earth is round - after all, you only know that from what other people tell you and the images they show you.)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
reply to post by Petrox

Let's summarise it all in just two points:

1.) Your personal experience is your only reference point.

2.) You have not experienced the phenomenon we are talking about here.

Why, then, do you feel compelled to give a personal opinion on something you have no personal experience with? Do you do that in all areas where you are not proficient?

I hope, for your sake, that you are consistent - because consistence works as a path, if nothing else, and paths usually lead somewhere - and that you apply that point of view to all areas of experience.
(Which would mean, among other things, that you have no real reason to believe that the Earth is round - after all, you only know that from what other people tell you and the images they show you.)

Well, with a pseudo science like the law of attraction, really all evidence is anecdotal, so I think that my personal experience qualifies. I wasted money on books about them. Trust, you are just going to be disappointed. I am not saying that you should not be thinking positively. I just think "really wanting that new car" isn't going to make it magically appear. Hard work is.

I have not experience this phenomenon because it doesn't exist.

Also, I have seen pictures of the earth, and from what I can tell, it is pretty round. I am consistent in that I only consider scientific evidence when deciding on a subject. And there is no scientific evidence that the law of attraction exist.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrox

As is your faith so it shall be unto you. You are creating by default which is not a good thing for a human.

I suggest you read the thread already going and forget what ever you have been exposed to.

Or not, I could care less. Your journey is yours. Do what you will. Its really only for the advanced thinker.

I will further state that it is not worth the time of those in the know to work on these lesser humans. What they need will only come from reppitition and they chose how many times before they are done.

Nuff said.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Illahee]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

Look buddy, I am say that there was a time when I believed this stuff. I think that after a long while with no results, I finally figured it out.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Vanitas, life is about the journey, you may say the journey is the goal. That is the wisdom of the ancient. If you're obsessing on trying to attract material possessions, you'll be missing out on life itself.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrox

I think that after a long while with no results, I finally figured it out.

As is your faith so it shall be unto you. I suggest you read the thread already going and forget what ever you have been exposed to.

There is nothing wrong with asking for help. It is the indication of an advanced mind. " I cannot achieve but I still want" This brings help and assistance.

Ridicule brings the ignore button. Which is your desire? it is so. Its natural and and normal, either way.

Its very possible that Friedrich Nietzsche was a mental deficient.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by Illahee]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I am not trying to ridicule anyone. I was in the same position as this guy, thinking that this new age thing could help solve my problems. I am just trying to help him avoid wasting his time on it. That is it. I am not making fun or ridiculing any one or any beliefs intentionally.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrox

Nah, this thing is not for me. Perhaps for someone who is younger in spirit. Since they are still excited about trying new things.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I was in the same position as this guy, thinking that this new age thing could help solve my problems.

It's not a "new age thing" - it's a very, very ancient age thing.
And for a good reason.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Petrox

I can easily imagine that people really can waste money - and time - on such books.

I was lucky enough to be born with an innate receptiveness for the "game" of life, and then lucky again for having been born into a family that at least didn't hinder it (in fact, they did help me by their example).

Which is why I practically don't read.

(Certainly not books about such topics - I haven't for many years now. I have literally not even touched "The Secret".)

But I do believe that a good book can be very useful in pointing people into the right direction.

The catch is to internalise what these authors are describing, and recreate it from within.
I think it can be done.
It's just a matter of a single moment's decision: a decision that may take great courage, but it's SO worth it.

posted on Aug, 13 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Was it the Greeks who investigated this further and came up with the ' Golden Ratio' ? Apparently there is a mathematical formular that backs this up. I watched a documentary on it a few years ago and to my embarrassment my face came up. I have wondered why when i meet new ppl they always say, " I no you from somewhere", when i have never met them in my life! I just thought it was a chat up line!

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Can someone give me an example of the law of attraction in action?

Can the law of attraction be used to defy the laws that govern reality(law of gravity, etc.)?

What are its limits?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mjl_says

I'm not an expert on this subject. If you haven't checked it already you should check Skyfloating's thread right here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join