It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the catch with the law of attraction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
How powerful is this law of attraction?
Can a single individual change everything?
Can it be used to achieve world peace?
Does it have a dark side?
Can it be used for something that is sinister?
Can you abuse this law?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

I don't think you are going to get more or better replies than the ones on offer here.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Sorry, but I'm looking for direct and specific answers to the questions.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'm interested. Needless to say I don't think anyone will have a good answer. But my uneducated explanation would go something like this-consciousness is the most important "objective" of all reality, and fulfilling the desires of consciousness or working under consciousness, is the "mission" of everything. I know, that's too esoteric.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I can imagine... Which is exactly why I posted that link.

You are more than welcome to ask ANYTHING there.
In fact, that's what people have been doing all these months - and that's why it's so long.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Needless to say I don't think anyone will have a good answer.

There are a few people on these boards whose answers are way beyond "good".

Take it from someone who has been steeped in such things for many years: those people's answers are not simply well-conceived and well-written - in other words, an exercise in elegant futility - but precise, concise, accessible, and TRUE. They come from practice, not theory.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Merle8

Doesn't that promote egocentrism and self-righteousness? In the end it can corrupt your soul, right?

I don't think a human is all about consciousness, and unless they're awaken like the buddha, there will also be a lot of impurities in their consciousness. If the most important objective is to fulfill the desire of the consciousness, well we have to look first what kind of desire it is. So basically it is possible to use this law to achieve any objective that your consciousness' desire, including the bad ones.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
For me "the catch" is in the fact that I've noticed that every heavy, negative, depressive, whatever thought, brings along more feelings, thoughts,... of that kind. It's not really a "catch" as it's just the way it works, but it's something to be very aware of.

I firmly believe that dark thoughts cling together and so do thoughts of a lighter nature. I've read that destructive thoughts go deep into the center of even the earth, and though I can't proove anything like that, I can still see that a lot of things (in nature) are going "wrong". (Please don't take me on my words. I'm really experiencing some problems with this language.)

I càn say that I do feel it within myself when I've been thinking too negatively for too long. The more I do it, the harder it gets to let go of it and get up again. Maybe that's just how or brain works, or our nervesystem, but anyway, for me it's very clear.

I don't know if a single individual can change everything, but I don't think so. I don't think that the effect of a bunch of individuals is as strong as the sum of individuals that are connecting.

When comes to world peace, I'm quite sure there are statistics that show agression going way down, at the time of and right after group meditations for peace. Here's a link, though that's not the one I meant, but I can't find it right now. Waging peace

I'm convinced that this law can be abused, but that's our own decision. It counts for everything. We can choose how to deal with everything. Our thoughts, our talents, our free time, our knowledge,...

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The one thing that I find isn't mentioned too much is external forces. There are conscious beings out there with more knowledge, thus more power than most of us. These beings have the ability to counteract our own positive motives. This can be seen in the world at large over a long period of time.

It's like the chicken and the egg. Take someone that was born in Africa with little to no food. Did the lack of food come as a response to their thinking of lack of food? Or did the lack of food cause the thinking to begin?

Law of Attraction works with no conscious external influences that can counteract it. So you can think of world peace till your dying day but as long as there are more powerful consciousnesses that want war, peace will not come about.

A proponent of the Law of Attraction might consider such things as negative thoughts. But there is a fine line here between objective reality integration and wishful thinking.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
True, I got carried away a bit in my hopes there. There are definitely beings out there with more knowledgde, thus more power. But if all positive motives cling together, wouldn't it be possible to outnumber the negatives? I realise we can all sit here till eternity just thinking about peace and sending good vibrations out and that not a lot will change until there's a more powerful consciousness, but that doesn't mean we should give up, does it? I mean, every tree once started out as a seed, and now look at all those wonderful forests...

Sure, we gotta be realistic but the world has gone so far down (and I know this isn't positive thinking either, but some reality isn't bad now and then) that there's no harm in trying and believing. And if it doesn't bring world peace, then at least it can bring peace on a much smaller scale.

Come to think of it, another catch is lazyness. By just believing in this law, we as humans, might start thinking that thinking positive will just do the trick. It might leave us sitting at home, just thinking happy, peaceful thoughts, while we could actually be out there doing actual things to make this world a better place to live in. I can really see that happening.

The chicken and the egg: we can't know for sure. We might try getting information, we might start trying to track those issues down to what we believe is their very beginning, but it still might be a "lie" that we're just willing to believe. Just like we're doing with so many things. It might very well be that some beings outthere are just getting major benefits in leaving the situation there as it is. But whatever caused all this misery, I can't see harm in trying to bring positive in this world. Not ONLY by thinking, but also by action, and it feels like that's the part we're all trying to neglect a bit, sadly enough.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
No, absolutely. I don't think we should ever give up. And I do think that if enough positive thoughts and energy were present that the situation would improve.

To really get down to the nitty-gritty though I look at humanity at large. The vast majority of people on this planet live on a couple bucks a day with little to no way out physically speaking. So it's easy to keep them in survival mode. As long as they are in that mode then higher level positive thoughts will only be a product of a small minority of the earth's population.

The real powers controlling the planet know that if enough of us realized what was going on, they would have no power over us at all.

Given what I see, I think this reality and it's lessons boils down to individual spiritual evolution. And I think achieving higher levels of thought is the best way to help others. By doing the work on ourselves to achieve higher level spirituality (while simultaneously being grounded) we begin to create a vacuum within the human collective unconscious. This vacuum begs to be filled. Also, our actions will reflect this higher level and those around us will see a better way of living no matter what the physical circumstances may be.

For me, it's a balance. I will never give up, even on the physical plans I have for helping others. Everytime I see external forces thwart those plans it invigorates me to try harder.

I suppose my main point is that all variables should be taken into account when thinking about billions of people. Most people will never get to the point of realizing the lie (in this lifetime). And it's not just a matter of them being told. The ego is invested in the lie and will defend it till death.

So no, never give up. Never let a thought or action pass without full examination. Never settle for negative thinking. But when it's comes to the world at large we should show our wisdom through our understanding of where others are at. And we should respect the free-will of others to explore the darker areas of existence because these darker areas are catalysts for many. If we didn't have these harsh conditions we would not have grown as fast as we have. So in a sense the negative can be turned to a positive. And that's what I personally will continue to do till I take my last breath.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by General Izer
There are conscious beings out there with more knowledge, thus more power than most of us.

This something I keep on thinking about. If we have such an influence on reality as the LOA shows then beings of some sort will necessarily have more influence than us. However, from my own personal research I cannot help but come to the conclusion that all is a matter of perception which would then include other beings.

Obviously, someone might have something a little more profound to say but I am personally allied to the idea above.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
And at the same time we shouldn't sell ourselves short because of our limited perspective while in physical bodies. At a personal level we can surpass these other beings in power because they have chosen to stagnate themselves in the game of enslaving others.

And at the ultimate level, we are all equal in our potential.

The physical body can be thought of as a trap for souls. But it can also be thought of as a wonderful opportunity to learn and grow.

What one thing would an immortal being wish to experience but mortality? And what would a completely free being wish to experience but slavery?

I think it's absolutely a matter of perspective and where we wish to target our focus.

I also think it's a balance of paradoxes. When you get into the mode of this balance you know you are reaching toward the realm of the Absolute. Since in the Absolute all things are true and false at the same time.

Sorry, I tend to ramble on with the philosophical.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Straight up answer -

It's a money making scheme. 'The Secret', which is based on the law of attraction, was sold as books and DVDs and made a boatload of money for all involved.

What better way to make money - prey upon the greed in today's society by tricking people into thinking they can have whatever they want by just thinking about it.

I mean, look at this sort of rubbish - networking.entrepreneur.com...

White middle aged well-to-do businessmen trying to sell us poor sods the key to success.

Bah. Sorry to be cynical, but this sort of stuff sends me off the wall

Last I heard, a few of the people involved with The Secret were fighting over the share of profits anyway.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I agree mattguy404. At the same time, it doesn't make the Law of Attraction null and void. 'The Secret' is basically half-truths which is often times more dangerous than outright lies.

It's a known strategy that can be seen with the religious texts of the world. Deep down many of us know the 'ring of truth'. The mistake is taking that and believing the entire manuscript. The other side is to see the lies and throw out everything based on that. The best option is to realize that pretty much everything in this world is part truth and part lie.

It's like fishing. The fish sees a worm and bites without realizing the worm has a hook and then it's trapped. The fisherman has just schooled the fish. As above so below; humanity has been schooled by the same trick.

The trick for the human is to take the worm without being trapped by the hook.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

I don't think you are going to get more or better replies than the ones on offer here.

I second the message to go to the thread. Poster range from the mildy curious to the initiate attempting to better understand to a few masters that outside of ATS would be considered top in the field. I have posted a lot of information there myself, and you will find real life examples from several people as the report back on their successes.

All of the OPs questions are answered in depth there. No one is making money off of others, and it is explained from every slant from Atheism to Christianity.

A Law can only be a Law when it can be tested and the results are repeatable. It is indeed a law.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Illahee]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
The catch in the law of attraction?

heeheehee...

You have to be attractive first!!!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzyguy
How powerful is this law of attraction? All Powerful
Can a single individual change everything? depends on how well they learn.
Can it be used to achieve world peace? Yes. It was meant for that.
Does it have a dark side? Yes, intent or the default value of the heart can be dark
Can it be used for something that is sinister? Not without destroying the user.
Can you abuse this law? Its self correcting, after the initial gold rush.

I hope that is enough to read through all 30 or more pages. No one here wants your money and they are in agreement to help those that are serious, learn it the right way. Yes something monumental is happening right here on ATS that is changing lives, and the world we live in.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The law of attraction is not particularly new. If one were to purchase a copy of the 1904 Advanced Course in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism, you'll find the law of attraction spoken about in some depth. You will also find it in the Tao Teh Ching and the Hua Hu Ching, spoken about in great length. Napoleon Hill talks about it in his many books.

The concept is as follows, we are all contributing to the Universe. Our every thought, feeling, action, sends a message to the Universe, that it must react to in some form. When we're thinking positive thoughts, feeling positive feelings, taking positive action, we're creating a sense of harmony with the Universe. However, we can think happy thoughts, but if our emotions don't match, or our actions, we create a sense of disorder, which the Universe must respond to.

Now, when it comes to the law of attraction, you need to be constantly sending a harmonious message to the Universe of what you'd like to achieve. In other words, you picture it, and breathe vital positive feeling into it, morning, noon, night, and at all times. Eventually, you program your subconscious to emit this message automatically. When you're sending out a harmonious message at all times, the Universe must always work to respond to it in some way. However, if your thoughts don't last long, or if they have some hint of doubt or negative feeling, you will not only attractive the negative, but you repel your objective.

When you send out harmonious messages, via your thoughts, feelings, words, actions, and habits, the Universe is like "Hey, he's creating harmony in the Universe in relation to this goal. let's assist him with it." But if you combine your mental pictures with doubt, shallow breath, fears, disbelief, the Universe responds in a non-harmonious way, in order to tell you that the message you're sending doesn't make sense and isn't getting through.

Also, The law of attraction is only designed to assist a person in getting what they want. For example, you may want the money to buy a new home. You may be inspired to take up a new career, or begin a new venture that will assist you in making the money. But, if you don't take actions towards this inspiration, again, you get nowhere. You are putting resistance into the formula.

In other words, you need to have positive, vivid imagery, empowered with positive feeling via deep breathing. You need to take action that is either inspired via revelation, or similar steps taken by those who have achieved what you want. In this way, the action you're taking is proven to work. Then, you need to inspire others to help you, but you must give to them equally for how they will help you.

Also, whatever you want to achieve, you can have, if you put in the equal effort to the value of what you want to achieve. For example, if you want ripped six pack abs, you won't get them, unless you do the exercise, and eat right. You can picture them all you want, but without the action, you're lost.

All the law of attraction does is assist your current efforts, and only when your efforts are all harmonious both within yourself, and with the Universe. When your efforts are all without resistance, the Law of Attraction can finally point you in the right direction, either by inspiring you to check something out, or bringing some opportunity to your attention, or by getting you to run into someone or some circumstance that could lead to the acquisition of your objective.

In other words, it was never meant to be this whole magic get rich quick, instant magic scheme. It's part of a process, that will take you in a successful direction if you follow the steps. But when you do not follow the steps, you do not achieve success. The Law of Attraction is just one of dozens of laws that when applied, can assist someone in achieving their desires. To me, movies like "The Secret" though they bring awareness, possibly hurt the whole situation more than helped it, by spreading such an incomplete picture, that the failed results one may have from there will push you away from this type of information.

So, the catch is, it isn't a fix all. You can't just picture hot ladies coming to your door and expect it to happen. You can't just think the world to change. You need to apply the rest of the principles to even begin to activate the benefits of such a law. Your must be persistent, and once eventually your mind acts like a broadcasting system, broadcasting a strong, harmonious message at all times, the the Universe can start reacting to help you a long the way.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreySwordsman
The law of attraction is not particularly new. If one were to purchase a copy of the 1904 Advanced Course in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism, you'll find the law of attraction spoken about in some depth.

And in the works of the Sufis about a 1000 years earlier... and in the New Testament another 1000 years earlier...

I am not being fastidious - at least not without a VERY constructive reason... :-)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join