It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
observe, here's a link to an article that states air downwind of a volcano prior to a major eruption is laden with radioactive gas:

"Two scientists in Taiwan say they have developed a technique that could potentially be used to predict when a volcano is about to blow."

edition.cnn.com...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by mountaindog]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Not that this has anything to do with anything just thought I would share my thoughts.

I read somewhere (might have been this webbot stuff) that land for quite a distance would be affected and the only thing that goes over and over in my mind with that distance amount is, Yellowstone.

I have checked Yellowstone and nothing really appears to be happening there.

From my "experiences," I remember these words.... "Radio Active volcanic eruption," and this scares me.

Today is the 10th so I assume if anything is going to happen as predicted it could be from this moment forward and as I have learned..... sometimes there is no notice it just happens.

I'm not feeling anything yet either.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by observe50]

You right about large areas of land being effected.. but in terms of webbot, yellow stone isn't mentioned... one of the EQs, the second, smaller one is supposed to be on a coast..
lots of trees, mountains, farm land
so if it happens in NA... it will be the coast... well.. just for starters anyways.. you never know what could happen after everything has moved.

I say pakistan (there are swarms going now) and the PNW.

on urbansurvival.com they have a summary list of the webbot runs from this year.. all to do with the associated language.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mountaindog

Hi Mountaindog,

that's a very interesting and useful find, and it will be fascinating to see what develops from it. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mike

[edit on 10/12/08 by JustMike]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I can add myself and my bf to the list of those who woke with a headache and plugged ears, and a sense of pressure in the head. For me, I've been posting that we've been waking up this way for weeks now.

I'm still watching California. And the offshore California and PNW.

If anyone else has these same (or other) physical "symptoms", let us know.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
While the pressure has lessoned some, I'm still having some sinus pressure, but my blurry vision has cleared.

Tela

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Magnitude 2.0
Date-Time Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 15:11:30 UTC
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 09:11:30 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 36.471°N, 89.568°W
Depth 9.8 km (6.1 miles)
Region SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI

The time at epicenter is interesting. That should whip up things.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Hello Kat (and others who are suffering symptoms at the moment),

just letting you know that I have nothing to report by way of similar symptoms here. I'm okay and my wife is also. If what you are feeling is seismic-related then that would suggest something more local to your region. I mean "local" in the sense of your part of the world, rather than just within a few miles.

Going back to what I said yesterday, namely that if I were to pick up on anything major it would normally be within 72 hours of the event, I therefore have to confirm my previous statement that nothing on a seriously major scale is imminent. Not in the PNW, not in the New Madrid region, and probably not anywhere else either. This doesn't deny there might be something in the mag 5 or even 6 range, but a high-level 7 (or greater) is not likely.

Like I also said, that's just my opinion based on what I'm picking up. Or to put it better, what I'm not picking up.

This is one of those times when I'll be very glad to be right.

Mike

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

All things considered, it's actually relatively quiet in the world, with only 220 earthquakes +4.0 worldwide according to USGS. I've seen that number much much higher than that before.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
looks like the maupin swarm is starting up again

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Date-Time

* Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 18:15:03 UTC
* Wednesday, December 10, 2008 at 10:15:03 AM at epicenter

Location 45.132°N, 120.944°W
Depth 13.9 km (8.6 miles) set by location program
Region OREGON
Distances

* 12 km (7 miles) ESE (113°) from Maupin, OR
* 21 km (13 miles) NW (314°) from Shaniko, OR
* 22 km (14 miles) SE (126°) from Tygh Valley, OR
* 55 km (34 miles) SSE (160°) from City of The Dalles, OR
* 140 km (87 miles) ESE (108°) from Portland, OR

[edit on 12/10/2008 by Telafree]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Hi Kat,

while it's true that the overall numbers are low, there have been about 30 Mag 5's, and one mag 5 involves about ten times the ground movement and 32 times the energy release of a mag 4. So relatively speaking (in terms of energy involved) it's been pretty active these past few days. And those 5-plus quakes are all over the place...not just in the "ring of fire". I don't like the look of it but frankly I can't pin down any place as likely for a big one. Not in the next three days, anyway.

Edit to add: this is for everyone... Please note that there have been NO mag 8-plus quakes this year. (Data may be accessed on this page. Scroll down a bit for the charts. They're pretty easy to read; nothing obtuse.) On average there is one mag 8-plus per year, and last year there were four, so statistically we could be due for a "blank" year for mag eight-pluses. However, our planet doesn't give a fig about statistics...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Magnitude 2.8 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
2008 December 10 20:47:14 UTC
off Petrolia

Edit to add: Impressive hit, Mike. Right in the offshore region that I worry about, more than any other.

Anyone new to reading here can find a lot of information on this dangerous fault complex on this thread.

[edit on 12/10/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
If anything is coming up of significance -- and I'm still unsure -- I'd be looking offshore from Eureka, at around 40.5 -- 41N, 124.5 -- 125 W. I won't explain now (very late here) but I have reasons for that location.

The fault maps might make it clearer.

Hmmm... Yesterday I posted the above. (Well, late last night my time anyway.) Now this has just come in. The latest offshore quake:

(This image from USGS is posted for informational and educational purposes.)

The co-ordinates of 40.439°N, 124.711°W are close enough to what I was expecting but the magnitude is low. That surprises me. However, it still seems to me that this might be an area to keep an eye on.

Mike

Edited to add credit for the image source.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
you beat me to it!

lol

yeah, noticed you called that one.. good stuff..

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
M 2.0, Nevada

Date:
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 20:38:07 UTC
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:38:07 PM at epicenter
Depth:
0.00 km (0.00 mi)

another surface quake in Las Vegas.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I know.. im hogging the thread now... lol

But I wanted to mention that, looking at the earthquakesCanada map, we need to somehow combine/overlay it with the USGS map.

it would give us such a much more accurate picture of the whole deal..
for instance; there was another microquake in the greater vancouver area today... but nothing shows on the usgs map.

I really think it would be eye opening to combine them.

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

national map:

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by pynner]

[edit on 10-12-2008 by pynner]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Has anybody else noticed the activity along the Saint Lawrence Seaway.You can draw a line down to where they had the earthquake this summer along the Indiana/Illinois border at the end of the Wabash River Valley.
Extend it father and there is a 2.0 in Missouri on 12/10 and also the recent ones in Arkansas.They all seem connected.
I wish I could find Google Earth KMZ files for all the quakes in Canada but I have searched and there doesn't seem to be a source.Alot of activity that the general population doesn't know about.
I find it troubling.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hi, I haven't posted in this thread before but I read it daily. I just logged on to a British astrology website and the homepage has the following information so I thought I'd post it here.

Thursday, 11 December 2008 The Secret Sea Have you noticed how large the Moon looks? That’s because it is closer to us than usual. At such times, it doesn’t just seem bigger and brighter, it exerts a stronger gravitational pull. The core of the Earth is molten. We may one day discover that this secret sea, deep below our feet, also has tides, governed by lunar phases. Many of my colleagues, aware of all this plus the rare ‘grand cross alignment’ that the Moon will form tomorrow, predict earthquakes or volcanic eruptions soon. And we all anticipate a great surge in the ocean of human emotion.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
On one hand I'm not feeling anything at the moment but on the other hand I at instances feel uneasyness, weird.

I can only hope as I am sure all of you feel that this passes.

Full Moon, I can't see.... rainy here, always seems to be skied covered when you want to keep a check on the sky here.

IRIS map looks, "slow."

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

Hi Maya00a,

welcome and many thanks for your post!

It's quite possible that before too long it may be possible that scientists will take the Moon's gravitational effects into account when considering seismic activity. Actually I talked about this concept in this post back on page 71 on Nov 30. In summary, it seems logical that as our Moon is known to have significant effects on larger bodies of water (and also some effects on smaller ones), it stands to reason that it might have the same sorts of effects on other fluids, and magma is a fluid.

So is crude oil -- which is something I haven't noticed anyone talking about anywhere. I think that besides the possible magma effects, the case of those vast oil fields is something that ought to be considered. In many places I doubt the Moon's effects would be of great concern, but in others in what are now seismically-active regions (or potentially active), gravitational forces could be a significant factor in pressure changes. In other words, the Moon's influence could even create pseudo-volcanic (ie magma) effects in regions which are not known to be actively volcanic. This could mystify scientists, but if the penny drops, they might realize that things like swarms of micro-quakes might, in some cases, not be due to magma, but oil under the influence of "tidal" forces.

Hmm... Could be a new way to help to locate oil fields, actually.

Just a thought...

Mike

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
Hi, I haven't posted in this thread before but I read it daily. I just logged on to a British astrology website and the homepage has the following information so I thought I'd post it here.

Thursday, 11 December 2008 The Secret Sea Have you noticed how large the Moon looks? That’s because it is closer to us than usual. At such times, it doesn’t just seem bigger and brighter, it exerts a stronger gravitational pull. The core of the Earth is molten. We may one day discover that this secret sea, deep below our feet, also has tides, governed by lunar phases. Many of my colleagues, aware of all this plus the rare ‘grand cross alignment’ that the Moon will form tomorrow, predict earthquakes or volcanic eruptions soon. And we all anticipate a great surge in the ocean of human emotion.

Thanks for the info and post Maya..

I did know about this.. as im sure alot of us did... but it's good someone posted a reminder.
also a point to this: I read an article about how the tide is supposed to be record tying/breaking at san fran in the next few days.

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join