It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kattraxx
reply to post by Anti - Government

There are those that study the relationship between the lunar cycles and seismic activity. Jim Berkland is one. The link to his site may be in our OP. It's been so long since that post that I honestly can't recall.

Hi Kat,

your memory is pretty good.
You mentioned Jim Berkland in a post on page one of the thread. His website is here, but for some reason his formerly quite regular weekly prediction posts have stopped, the last one being for July 29 -- Aug 5 this year. I have not been able to find out why so perhaps someone else can. It's after 12.30 (am) here so I have to get some snooze time...

Welcome to the thread, Anti Government and other new posters!
Great to have you with us.

Catch you tomorrow, folks...

Night shift is signing off...

Mike

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I think you have to pay now to get the regular predictions... not sure, but I think so. I thought he posted them after the fact though. I'll check.

Yes, it looks like a subscription deal now.

He also counts missing pet ads in newspapers on the theory that more pets go missing before EQ's. I can say that during the Reno EQ swarm here, we did see lots of dogs running the streets, sometimes even two and three at a time. Two of my neighbors' cats disappeared, never to return. And so did Space Doubt's cat. Very sad.

Edit to add: I think I'm getting Japan/Russia too. Nothing huge.

[edit on 12/11/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
reply to post by kattraxx

i wanted to ask you someting aswell have u ever researched lunar activity and earthquakes because i was reading something earlier about an upcoming lunar event and a big earthquake predicted for the same day tomorrow as it happens and im was curious if u have ever found a link between the two im not sure if that has been discussed before but i think their could be one between the two but who knows

Hiya mate, i think you might find this interesting...
Supermoon
On December 13th what we call a Proxigean Supermoon occurs. Supermoons occur when the Full Moon ( or New Moon) is at perigee (i.e. closest to earth). This month, to compound the effect, the Moon will be at its closest perigee for the year called Proxigee thus exerting an even greater magnetic pull on the earth and all organic matter that responds to the Moon. To add further complication, it is also at its Northernmost peak, so three cycles ( apsides, phase and declination) all coincide within a few hours of each other. Supermoons occur several times a year as the moon reaches perigee, but the coincidence of the other cycles are mostly spaced by a few days. These three cycles occurs all in one day this month.

We can anticipate extreme weather conditions and of course, since this also affects the sap in plants, in our plantings. The most severe effect will be on the spring tide which occurs at the full moon every month as the closer to the earth the moon orbits, so the effect on tides increases. A 5% increase in proximity makes about 20% difference in the power the moon exerts so those in coastal regions should anticipate extreme tidal forces.
>>> The last time such a tidal force occurred the world saw the Tsunami of 2005 and the next one will be in January 2010. The weekend of 12th to 15th should be one of alert and observation.
source = cosmicgardening.blogspot.com...

[edit on 11-12-2008 by cropmuncher]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I emailed Jim Burkland and he said that his webmaster has failed him and he posted a note on his Forum. You might go there to see what he said.
Here is the link Syzygyjob Forum

Debbie

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Magnitude 3.7 - GULF OF CALIFORNIA
2008 December 11 03:41:55 UTC
108 km (67 miles) SSW (194°) from Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico
123 km (76 miles) SE (124°) from San Felipe, Baja California, Mexico
162 km (101 miles) WSW (257°) from Caborca, Sonora, Mexico
249 km (155 miles) SSE (158°) from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
388 km (241 miles) SE (127°) from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico

On the ridge (in red).

external image

[edit on 12/11/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Thank you Justmike for fixing my links. I like to pay attention to the sky since my ears ring most of the time.......maybe because I live in the central coast of Cal and there's been all this activity?

Suppose the snow in Louisianna part of the Super Moon effect?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Magnitude 2.6 - NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
2008 December 12 09:41:02 UTC
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances 12 km (7 miles) SSW (201°) from Ferndale, CA
17 km (11 miles) N (352°) from Petrolia, CA

More off Petrolia.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This is not the maupin swarm but a new earthquake area north of portland, oregon

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Date-Time

* Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 22:22:46 UTC
* Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 02:22:46 PM at epicenter

Location 46.166°N, 122.866°W
Depth 18.4 km (11.4 miles) set by location program
Region WASHINGTON
Distances

* 4 km (2 miles) NE (49°) from Kelso, WA
* 4 km (3 miles) ESE (120°) from West Side Highway, WA
* 7 km (4 miles) ESE (105°) from Longview Heights, WA
* 7 km (5 miles) ENE (69°) from Longview, WA
* 63 km (39 miles) NNW (341°) from Vancouver, W

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
last night at 2 am:

Loss of hearing a bit.. like being under water.. then my ears popped for about an hour.
pressure around the top of my head.

this morning: ears/hearing are ok...
pressure in my head remains, but is less than last night.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
another new place in oregon, this time near Bend, Oregon

earthquake.usgs.gov...
Date-Time

* Friday, December 12, 2008 at 00:08:22 UTC
* Thursday, December 11, 2008 at 04:08:22 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 44.099°N, 121.292°W
Depth 0 km (~0 mile) set by location program
Region OREGON
Distances

* 5 km (3 miles) NNE (16°) from Bend, OR
* 13 km (8 miles) NNE (24°) from Deschutes River Woods, OR
* 21 km (13 miles) SSW (205°) from Redmond, OR
* 145 km (90 miles) E (88°) from Eugene, OR
* 191 km (118 miles) SE (146°) from Portland, OR

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have the same, pynner; it just began. Space Cadet mentioned the pressure at the top of the head, like a cap, a few days ago in an email to me.

It seems eerily quiet on the world EQ maps. Still. And it strikes me as so strange that the world EQ's are either below 3.5 for the large majority, or above 5.0. The very few USGS email notices I get all seem to be over 5.0. It just seems odd to me.

Well, I'm busy researching the mid-Atlantic ridge off Brazil right now. I believe Observe plans to explain why.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by oncidium_dew

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it!
Thanks others who posted as well. I was reading very late at night and barely able to focus my eyes. My main worry was that someone had "gotten to him" or he'd had an "unfortunate accident". We have all heard stories, after all... Good to know he's still around and active. (Whew!)

Mike

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
Thank you Justmike for fixing my links. I like to pay attention to the sky since my ears ring most of the time.......maybe because I live in the central coast of Cal and there's been all this activity?

Suppose the snow in Louisianna part of the Super Moon effect?

Hi Miss Vicky,

glad to help

About the ringing ears...I don't live in a seismically-active region so I hope that some of the members here who do might be able to give their own opinions on this.

The Super Moon effect: it seems it's associated with all sorts of odd weather events but I'm not sure how much data has been gathered about it. Would seem to make some sense that a higher-than-normal input of energy (ie from the Moon's gravitational forces) could well have some influence on what happens here.

Any info/ideas, anyone?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Observe asked me to post this for her. She'll address this herself tonight, if she can add more, or refine the location further.

Last night, she had an indication that there may be a couple large events, very large events, near the Atlantic coast of Brazil. (We've been trying to refine the exact area all morning...)

One water-based event, appearing as a red circle on the IRIS map, would range from the "r" in "American" in the phrase "South American Plate" (on the Plate Tectonic Map linked below) all the way out to the plate boundary/ridge area.

The other two land-based events would be just where the "h" is, also in "South American Plate" on the linked Plate Tectonics Map below. Two huge rings (on IRIS map).

Tectonic Plate map

As you can see on the tectonic plate map page, the mid-Atlantic ridge is also where the South American and African tectonic plates meet.

JustMike describes it:

This is a divergent boundary, which is why it's largely volcanic in nature as the plates are moving apart and new material is coming up from below. (It's also why that part of the sea floor along the ridge is geologically one of the youngest.)

The mid-Atlantic ridge is part of the mid-ocean ridge that runs all over the planet like stitching on a baseball (as in the map and detailed description on the page links posted below.) A lot of ridges also run off the mid-ocean ridge. The mid-ocean ridge is also very volcanic, with most of the world's volcanoes.

Mid-Ocean Ridge

Mid-Ocean Ridge description

World Map

[edit on 12/12/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Not sure if we post this link in here enough:

www.pnsn.org...

shows a bit of a different picture.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Hey, thanks for posting that! It was one of the ones I had in my several hundred "quake study" bookmarks before I reorganized them and my computer kindly erased the entire folder for me. (Okay I know I must have hit a wrong button but you think the computer would know that I wanted all that stuff...

And yes: it does give a slightly different picture. Nice user-friendly interface, too.

Edited to correct "one's" to "ones". I must be slipping...

[edit on 12/12/08 by JustMike]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by pynner
Not sure if we post this link in here enough:

www.pnsn.org...

shows a bit of a different picture.

Wow, thank you for posting that. tis a wonderful page and is has links to seismographs...i know what ill be doin the next few days ;-)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
== EVENT DELETED NOTIFICATION ==

***This event has been deleted after review by a seismologist.***

Geographic coordinates: 41.602N, 108.837W
Magnitude: 3.0
Universal Time (UTC): 12 Dec 2008 20:53:40
Time near the Epicenter: 12 Dec 2008 13:53:40

Location with respect to nearby cities:
9 km (6 miles) SSW (204 degrees) of Point of Rocks, WY
21 km (13 miles) NE (46 degrees) of Sweeney Ranch, WY
21 km (13 miles) SSE (149 degrees) of Superior, WY
272 km (169 miles) ENE (69 degrees) of Salt Lake City, UT

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hello all! I am dropping in to post what is going on with me tonight, I am currently stuffed up, about 30 minutes ago ( it is 439am right now) I started coughing and sneezing out of nowhere, I have had a tighning feeling on my head, like a cap that is too tight or a headband or something, with pressure and headache, the sneezing seems to be adding to that pressure. I have pain in my right shoulder blade area, sharp pains. I now have a sharp pain in my chest, upper right quaddrant. That just started. I had forgotten to mention to Katt in an email tonight that I also have a slight earache in my left ear, not really an earache, it it more like it is itching like from vibration, like when you listen to music too loud, but I have not listened to any lately.

I would like to add: has anyone noticed that a lot of the quakes in the last couple of weeks are sitting at a depth of 6.2 miles? I found that unusual, the depths are not usually that close to each other unless the quakes are close, like afterschocks that are at the same depth. Click around on USGS and check out the matching depths. 6.2 is the most noticable.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
M 4.0, Central California

Date:
Saturday, December 13, 2008 17:16:46 UTC
Saturday, December 13, 2008 09:16:46 AM at epicenter
Depth:
2.00 km (1.24 mi)

M 4.7, central Mid-Atlantic Ridge

Date:
Saturday, December 13, 2008 17:21:14 UTC