It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Attack Epilepsy site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Hackers Attack Epilepsy site

money.aol.com

SAN FRANCISCO (May 7) - Computer attacks typically do not inflict physical pain on their victims.
But in a rare example of an attack apparently motivated by malice rather than money, hackers recently bombarded the Epilepsy Foundation's Web site with hundreds of pictures and links to pages with rapidly flashing images.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is unconcionable. I can only hope they are caught and punished in a manner suited to this heinous crime!!

money.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Rather a sad story.

When I read the thread headline I was actually optimistic that hackers had taken down a site with rapidly flashing images. I wont post the link for obvious reasons, but there was a site which flashed an image saying "have you got epilepsy" with a strobing background.

Shame that it wasnt the case... I was ready to praise the vigilante actions of the hackers, until I realised that people are not so vicarious after all!

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I'm sorry that I didn't make that plain in the first post.

Zindo

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Wow, that is pretty lame. What in the world could drive someone to pull such a stunt?

"I was on the phone when it happened, and I couldn't move and couldn't speak," RyAnne Fultz, who has epilepsy, told Wired News about her reaction to viewing one of the images on March 23.

Really, what should the punishment be? If no one got hurt, what can be done? I just bet whoever did it will get off with probation. Edit to add: this woman's 11 yr old son had to help her, by turning off the monitor. Now thats really sorry of those punks.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by hotbakedtater]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
In many states that would be considered felony assault. Causing harm using any instrument with malice. If its some kid under 18 then probably probation. Any older and they should have they're head handed to them.
Zindo

[edit on 5/8/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
No apology needed Zindo my friend.

I was just making a point that I was cautiously optimistic about hackers having a sense of morality. I guess I was horribly mistaken though!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
From my research, the attacks stemmed from the *chans such as 4chan and others.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yeah, it started on 7chan--basically, they're all butthurt about this whole Chanology business, and they're trying to regain their reputation as the OMG INTERNET HATE MACHINE!!11!!!1one. It's part of this whole stupid school of thought that says the only real /b/tards are hateful lunatics who ruin people's lives for no apparent reason. If course, by taking their IRL image so seriously, they're going against their own dogma--but then, fifteen-year-old script kiddies aren't known for their skill with logic.
EDIT: Oh, and they didn't "hack" the site, either--they just registered and posted images. Not that some Anons don't have the capabilities to utterly ruin an ordinary website, but most of the time it's just not worth the trouble to break the law if you don't need to--even the dumbest /b/tard knows that.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by Makoto]

top topics

join