It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stimulus Payment Checks Going Out Early

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Stimulus Payment Checks Going Out Early

finance.yahoo.com

The federal government, eager to boost the flagging economy, will start distributing special stimulus payments Monday—four days earlier than expected.

"Beginning Monday, the effects of the stimulus will begin to reach households," President Bush said Friday. "This money is going to help Americans offset the high prices we're seeing at the gas pump and at the grocery store."

The department announced the early arrival of the payments Thursday after saying last month that it would begin sending out the money on May 2.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This kind of scares me. As you can see from the quote, the President is pretty much implying Americans are going to or should spend this on gas and groceries.

Maybe this is a good time to stock up on things like wholesale bags of rice, oh wait theyre already being rationed at major stores like Sam's.

This whole deal seems really suspect. If we attack, not invade, but just attack Iran within the month, Speculators are going to have a field day with Commodities. So maybe by the time we get these checks we'll be using them to buy Ramen Noodles and Bicycles. Say hello to the Third World Standard of Living.

finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I was watching the news last night when they brought up the soaring prices for food and oil, and said it was mainly the fault of market speculators. There solution was to increase the required margin.

I know nothing about stock or trading, so could you explain how it works in regards to margins and speculation? I'm kind of curious.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I'm not a huge economic expert myself, I havn't take my economics courses yet. As I understand it though it seems to resemble gambling. I usually look up stuff on the net if I need info. Maybe someone on ATS could better explain the process of how a price changes due to speculators. What I do know is however the process works, its insane.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
That's about how it sounds to me from a little googling. Too bad Rockpuck isn't here, he knows all about this type of stuff. Thanks anyway Mike.

[edit on 4/25/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
speculators are like the sheep of wall street. they are also the reason the stock market appears like gambling to many people....whenever they see other people doing something they follow the trend but in reality the money was already made by the people who saw the wave coming before it hit.
Investing is simple and complex...also very abstract...
but one can learn to manage risk by doing one's due diligence...

its funny that what I learned in economics classes, from average investors, and most people about investing differs substantially from what I learned from wealthy individuals...

the most valuable thing I learned about money is that it is merely energy, and the more you give the more you get...diversified bonds are for chicken littles...focus is the name of the game....

good luck

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Great topic, Mike, Star'd & Flag'd!

Speaking of what to spend it on, an old friend sent me an email that went
something like this:

If you spend your economic stimulus check at Wal-Mart, you're giving the
money to CHINA; on gasoline, it goes to the ARABS; on a
computer, it goes to INDIA; a good car, it goes to JAPAN; on
fruits & vegatables, to HONDURAS & GUATEMALA; on useless crap,
TAIWAN; marijuana, MEXICO; coc aine, COLUMBIA;
heroin, AFGHANASTAN; None will help the American economy!

One way to keep the money here, is to buy prostitutes & beer, since these
are still produced in the U.S.!!!!!!! Thanks for supporting AMERICA

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER

Great topic, Mike, Star'd & Flag'd!

Speaking of what to spend it on, an old friend sent me an email that went
something like this:

If you spend your economic stimulus check at Wal-Mart, you're giving the
money to CHINA; on gasoline, it goes to the ARABS; on a
computer, it goes to INDIA; a good car, it goes to JAPAN; on
fruits & vegatables, to HONDURAS & GUATEMALA; on useless crap,
TAIWAN; marijuana, MEXICO; coc aine, COLUMBIA;
heroin, AFGHANASTAN; None will help the American economy!

One way to keep the money here, is to buy prostitutes & beer, since these
are still produced in the U.S.!!!!!!! Thanks for supporting AMERICA

I received this same email and laughed til I almost cried! I'm personally going to use it to get out of debt. I've been going through a divorce, and this last year I've basically been wasting my money. My head has been removed from my butt, and things are turning around for the better. Once I am out of debt in the very near future, I am going to start stockpiling necessities. To me it feels as though there is some bad stuff right around the corner for not just the USA, but the whole world. God knows I don't want anything bad to happen, it just feels like a storm is brewing. God bless us all!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
This whole thing is such a farce.

Those that don't need this money because they are either sufficiently well off or they already live within their means, will simply let these few dollars sit in the bank with the rest of their money. Or, those folks that actually really need this rebate will use it to pay for what they had ALREADY bought last year (i.e. they'll use it to pay down their credit card bills or catch up on past due bills such as utilities or medical bills). Those that will use it to buy more unnecessary crap will most likely spend it at China-Mart (which will help the poor Chinese factory workers).

Watch, this whole stupid idea will do nothing to prevent the collapse of the US dollar and glutinous economy. In fact, this rebate will more than likely expedite the crash of the US economy ~ because spending those dollars on more imported junk will ONLY increase the US trade imbalance and debt.

What an irresponsible crazy plan.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Originally posted by Cale, Logan
Originally posted by FRIGHTENER

I received this same email and laughed til I almost cried!

Me too, Cale! Funny, because it's TRUE, huh?

I'm personally going to use it to get out of debt. I've been going through a divorce, and been wasting my money.

Sorry, chief. One of my younger brothers is hurtin for cetain, cause of this.

To me it feels as though there is some bad stuff right around the corner for not just the USA, but the whole world.

I hear ya on that! Maybe your Nuclear Clock needs the hands moved
closer to midnight!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Originally posted by Divinorumus

This whole thing is such a farce.

Gosh darn right, Divinorumus, Star!

Those that don't need this money because they are either sufficiently well off or they already live within their means, will simply let these few dollars sit in the bank with the rest of their money.

Sad truth!

Or, those folks that actually really need this rebate will use it to pay for what they had ALREADY bought last year,to pay down their credit card bills or catch up on past due bills

More truth, and I fall into this category, too!

Those that will use it to buy more unnecessary crap will most likely spend it at China-Mart

That's what I call it! Man, everything in that store is "Made in China"

Watch, this whole stupid idea will do nothing to prevent the collapse of the US dollar and glutinous economy. In fact, this rebate will more than likely expedite the crash of the US economy

Geniously said!

What an irresponsible crazy plan.

Yeah, seems like Bush is trying to "buy" favorable opinion from 'we, the
sheeple', on his way out, huh?
NOT buying, myself, but do appreciate the scratch!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well just in case the economy or the dollar tanks, as everyone seems to predict, I'm spending mine as soon as it gets in my bank account.

I was scoping out that big screen tv just this morning. I already have the computer I'm going to run through it and I can't wait.

Let the serious brainwashing begin! WooHoooooo

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Already spent mine on an American made Pressure Canner/Cooker, lots of Jars and accessories for Canning. Puttin' the Garden in right now. Got 6 Cord of Wood also.

I wanna Thank the Chinese and Arabs for fronting our Gov't this money. On top of the 60 Billion a month they already give us. They really are generous.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'll be using it to buy window air conditioners. My a/c furnace unit died and it'd cost couple thousand to buy one of those, so getting window a/c's for about five hundred. It's already in the 80s here. My asthma gets really bad when I get hot. I've been having bad attacks.

Interesting that they're sending it early. Kind of concerning really.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Investors in times of uncertainty usually go from the market into commodities to save their assets from a devaluing market. The entire objective is, all your stocks are set to fall, and even if they rise they will not keep up with inflation. But there are products that are necessities and must be used, that would be wheat, rice, oil, gold, silver, and so forth.

So someone hedging their bets on Wall Street buys a crap ton of rice.. well the price of rice goes up, and as more and more do so, the price continues to rise. World wide, a shortage occurs, price accelerates, with the help of those speculating on it going up as well. Same thing for oil. We have to use oil, we are not just going to stop. So oil if you can afford it anyways, is a great place to hide your money.. I would not be surprised if oil made it to $150 by summer.

It's not a new situation, the markets have fluctuated like this before back into the 1800's even, people buy up food stocks and so forth to protect their money. Of course, the poor typically starve because of this..

Ah well, to bad I don't have the money to invest in the commodities market lol..

And it looks like the IRS, tired of being ringed by the Congressional dumbasses have been implementing new software until they get it right (at the expense of millions to the tax payer) so that we could get the money out a whole 5 days earlier!

Already, it is to little to late, with inflation a good percentage will be eaten by oil and food prices, whats left won't impact the economy what so ever.

$600 aint a lot of money any more.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by Rockpuck

Already, it is to little to late, with inflation a good percentage will be eaten by oil and food prices, whats left won't impact the economy what so ever.

Agreed whole heartedly. In the real middle class world 600 dollars isn't going to do much at all for catching up on bills. It's almost a joke!

If I am under the right impression the stimulus package is supposed to "stimulate" the economy, and give relief to the ones under the credit crunch. 600 hundred dollars probably won't even touch a payment on interest that is owed to a credit card company, mortgage ect...

All this is doing is delaying the inevitable collapse of the American economy..

HimWhoHathAnEar made a good point. MAybe you should invest in survival equipment.

Or how about we all go to the bar
Drinks are on me

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
For the schedule of payments (based upon your SS#) see this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
You're probably right about this one. This scares me also because it seems the collapse is imminent. If this is the case, then stocking up on food would be a great idea, but understand that in very short order the Amero will be introduced as it will have reached, by then, enough printed currency in it's form to circulate and "save" the economy from the collapse of the dollar.

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Great link, jsobecky, Star!

Found out my expected date of receiving a check, nice job!

Suppose you'd like 10% for that, huh?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Good points, always good to be prepared, espeically now while the Dollar is still worth something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join