It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Submachine Gun-Toting Cops To Patrol NYC Subways

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Yeah, you bring balance to the collective orgy. I mean conscience.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Makes me think about old days in Chicago when Thompson's were the norm on the street.

Giving Cops sub-machine guns, or even M-4's will still leave them underarmed against any gang these days. FYI, does everyone remember that SWAT teams carry M-16's, Mp-5's etc..

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I didn't get to read through the whole thread yet, but I figured I'd mention this point in case no one else has yet.

The NY subways are also the place where the police can search you, your bags, without probable cause and without a warrant. Now that that line has been crossed, there is no going back and you can bet this practice will be coming to a town near you.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
The NY subways are also the place where the police can search you, your bags, without probable cause and without a warrant. Now that that line has been crossed, there is no going back and you can bet this practice will be coming to a town near you.

You mean like at the airport?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

It is one thing, when they have them in their car trunks, just in case.
In contrast to carrying them around in public crowds. Does this discourage terrorist? Or just intimidate average Joe? I think the later.
I think they know this. I think it fits in with a plot, to institute a World Government. A Government that is over all others.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

The airport is a little different. A lot of people don't fly. It's a bit more of a choice. I've never flown on an airliner.

In NY, you're pretty much stuck riding the subway every single day, a few times a day.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

A lot of people do fly. Have you notice that we have thousands of planes flying overhead?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Its America. Doesn't everyone and their grandmother own a gun ?

I don't live in America so I don't understand this problem. Why travel on the subway to begin with ? I mean if the gun-toting cops patrol there. Walk the streets. If they're there too. Then drive, if you can't drive then get a taxi. No money ? Then your plan to travel was flawed to begin with.

You speak of road blocks and such. Don't you think people would notice ? There are large banks in New York.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Yes, I am aware that many people do fly.

And for that matter, I don't agree with so much security at the airports either. But it is a little bit more understandable. It's not like you can just stop in the middle of the trip if there is a problem.

Besides, I seriously doubt anyone is going to crash a subway train into a building. Yes, someone could kill a lot of people by bombing the subway, but they could kill a lot of people in many other places too. I'm not afraid of the terrorists, so don't go taking away everyone's rights on my account.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by trilateral

New York City has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. No one can own a sidearm without a license and only the rich and connected can get a license.

NYC is one of the most highly populated cities in the world and a lot of people who live there, especially Manhattan, don't own cars because parking is at a premium and mass transit is so efficient.

If you live in the City, the subway is an almost essential mode of transportation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

i think this is an overreaction to this proposal. Anyone in NY actually see and of these weapons on the street? That is in the hands of police and not with some gang banger?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I love how most of you love fascist tactics. You would fit right in with Hitler's Nazi Germany, Mussolini's fascist Italy, and of course who can forget Franco's fascist Spain.

Nowadays its American fascism or Americanism as I like to call it.

Jump on the band wagon. Next thing you'll be wanting all the arabs (or illegal immigrants) to be rounded up, then it'll be the atheists, and then everyone else.

Welcome to the police state. We had a good ride America, but our republic is coming to an end.

Hey, at least we can all still get jobs at McFascists. I hear they have health benefits.

Watch FREEDOM TO FASCISM to find out where our liberties went...down the drain along with our economy.

Suckas

[edit on 4/24/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
They have been doing this now for 5 years. What is the big news? I don't have a problem with SWAT, but when they started this policy it pissed me off. Most of these cops get handed a MP5 with a couple weeks training and that is what really scares me.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
How is this a bad thing? I ride the metrorail nearly everyday here in DC. Theres next to no signs of security at all. I wish theyd post armed guards at every station. I get pretty nervous riding the train all the time especially when my train stops at the Pentagon.

Out of all the major US cities DC is by far the easiest target. Anybody can bring
anything into a DC subway station its a joke! Bring on the armed guards! PLEASE!!

Those who rail against it as un needed obviously dont ride the train.

And submachine guns are PERFECT for the subway! Anybody seen the new Kriss .45cal submachine gun? Give THAT to the security personell!

Theres no armed security in Londons metro? Youve GOT to be kidding me..right? Ill look it up....

P.S. I love Blackwater!! Post Blackwater mercs to the DC metrorail PLEASE!!

Its Blackwaters owner Eric Prinz(sp?) that creeps me out. A former navy seal
and one pretty hard core ultra right wing christian extremist. Now that guy is scary!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Being a former New Yorker, I do not see how it would be possible to use such a weapon in the subway and not endanger the public. At rush hour, people are stuffed in the subway like sardines in a can.

For those that do not know... the subway is how people get to and from their job.

I think there is more going on than what has been stated. I sense that something is lingering on the horizon and soon.

I think that type of weapon may give some the impression of security, when, in fact to see it and experience it (like after 911) is quite different. In my opinion, it is unsettling. It also, says, that they think the terrorist (whomever they may be) are there already.

Some of the comments posted sound flip. I think this is a grim reality.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Carrying machine guns in the subway is an intimidation tactic. A psychological warfare tactic against the citizenry, not the terrorists. This measure has nothing to do with practical security.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I remember a time when we used to laugh about Communist countries resorting to such methods. Like soldiers on trains and listening in on common phone conversations.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I remember when America was a safe country.

I remember getting up at 0430 and riding my bike a couple of miles to throw my paper route and staying out late to collect.

I remember working at the high school football games selling concessions or ushering for the ROTC and walking home a couple of miles in the dark and never having even the slightest idea that something bad might happen.

I remember when people would have laughed if you talked about an armed police force for the school district, or metal detectors in the school, and the idea of a school shooting by a student was as foreign as flying saucer.

Today, the murder rate in that neighborhood where I grew up is such that no one walks anywhere after dark and crack heads will hold you up at gun point in broad daylight.

It's a different world and those who haven't noticed aren't sharing a common reality.

I remember when America was safe.

[edit on 2008/4/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

America was never safe. Zodiac killer? Bonnie and Clyde? Manson family? The Wild West?

Putting machine guns in the subway is not the answer.

You want things to be safer? Give people hope. Give them an education. Give them a job.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Look can't you see it yet? Now? Anyone?

As I said before, anyone actually SEE any sub machine guns in the hands of anyone in authority in NY?

And as an aside, people you do know that cops have shotguns in there cars right? Tell me which is safer. A shotgun in a subway, or a submachine gun with single or burst rate of fire? If you haven't fired either weapon, please refrain from answering. Or at least look up what spread of the police issue 24' barrel is for the shotgun.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join