It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Submachine Gun-Toting Cops To Patrol NYC Subways

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Submachine Gun-Toting Cops To Patrol NYC Subways

wcbstv.com

NEW YORK (CBS/AP) ― In what officials describe as a first for a U.S. mass transit system, teams of police officers armed with submachine guns and bomb-sniffing dogs will soon begin daily patrols of the busiest sections of New York City subways.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
In my opinion. The take over by the NWO has begun!
Under the guise of terrorism protection, we'll start to
see more and more military in our streets. Road blocks, check points, aren't far behind.
The orchestrated world wide fuel and food crises; is designed to drive the worlds population, into the fold. When the time is right. The NWO government will reveal itself and a solution.
But at what cost?!

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Howie47]

CX

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I don't see this as a major thing really. There are enough armed cops everywhere on the streets nowadays, and i bet there will have been plain clothed cops carrying weapons on the underground before now.

This will just be a bit more high profile.

They do it at the airports, and after the London bombings i'm suprised this has'nt started already.

I know that if you are going to have cops on the underground anyway, i'd rather they had the firepower to deal with whatever comes thier way.

My only concern over this, is when they look up and say that due to the manpower needed to carry out these patrols, the government is going to be letting private security firms like Blackwater patrol the transit systems.

That i'm afraid will make our slippery slope just that little bit more slippery.

Whether you want to put a conspiracy spin on this story or not, fact is there are people out there that have planned to and carried out terrorist acts on the transit sytems.

Whether that has been real terrorists or not, i certainly would'nt mind having a bomb dog patrolling about.

Another thing, why do they always over dramitise the story by saying "Gun toting cops to be carrying sub machine guns".

As if these are some weapon of mass destruction super duper automatic gun that is only seen in war!
They won't be any diferent than the guns the cops carry everywhere else when they carry automatic weapons.

CX.

[edit on 24/4/08 by CX]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
And this is new? I just rode the subway yesterday and there were "Hercules" team guys standing around with machine guns by the train station entrance and in the station. This has been the case since 911.

I have a hard time understanding how this is NWO, or even a "bad" thing. They are not bothering me or harassing me, and if their presence stops one idiot from lighting off a pipe bomb or worse, then GREAT.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This is not about the NWO this about our for the people deceiving government getting ready for the mass protest and unhappy citizens that will start taking over the streets in our nation as our nation's economy and weak dollar start to corrode American citizens pocket to the point that no even food will be affordable anymore.

This a fight no against terrorism but against the citizens of this nation.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Sub machine guns, are used for assaulting enemy positions, protection against such assaults and intimidation of crowds of people.
Would it be advisable to open up on a crowed subway with a machine gun, to kill a suicide bomber? No. a pistol would do. Besides that, there are thousands of easy ways to sabotage the NY subway. Without ever getting on board! IF it was a protection against terrorism, against the subway, it is a huge waste of money. But that can't be what it is about.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Howey your crazy man. this has been happening since 9/11. welcome to 2008.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Swatman]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Here is what I am saying -

Lets say some jerk wants to be cute and blow something up in the subway. He is nervous and scared - but determined.

He sees some guy in a flak jacket with a big ol' gun and decides its not worth it. Cool by me.

My problem will arise when I am being - or see someone being harassed unjustly.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWithinMy problem will arise when I am being - or see someone being harassed unjustly.

Consider this... when you do see that... it will be too late for you to do anything about it.

You have been in the process of being desensitized... you think you will speak up later? Great!

But, people will start to wonder, shortly after you do... "whatever happened to TruthWithin?" I heven't seen him/her for awhile..."

Just take it into consideration.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Howie47

Gotta love it:

Among the threats cited by the NYPD: A reported plot by al-Qaida terrorists to kill thousands of New Yorkers by spreading cyanide gas in the subway; a thwarted scheme to blow up the Herald Square station in 2004; and the discovery by investigators in the 2004 Madrid train bombing of a crude diagram of Grand Central Terminal on a computer disk seized from one of the suspect's homes.

However, Kelly said, the New York subway system "is the safest it's been in memory."

If it's the safest it's been, then why the need for automatic weapons and bomb/drug sniffing dogs? That's counter-intuitive.

Set the precedent and let the rest of the country follow. I guess the gov't thinks we're all sheep.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

This a fight no against terrorism but against the citizens of this nation.

You speak the truth. Evidently things are safe enough already. This move is just for the reason you speak of.

CX

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Howie47
reply to post by CX

Sub machine guns, are used for assaulting enemy positions, protection against such assaults and intimidation of crowds of people.
Would it be advisable to open up on a crowed subway with a machine gun, to kill a suicide bomber? No. a pistol would do.

Thats not thier only uses. Firearms teams have been carrying these for ages, not to assault enemy positions, and not to intimidate crowds of people.

In this day and age, criminals carry more firepower than i had when i served in the army. If someone suddenly shows up anywhere with explosives or a lot of firepower, i want him taken care of quickly if it comes to that.

Not hope that a pistol does the job, which in many cases it does'nt.

As someone here has said, if a cop with a big gun puts off some nutbar from doing something stupid, fine by me.

CX.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
the people that hate this police in the subway idea are the same people that will complain when someone blows up a subway by saying "well if police were in the subway it wouldnt have happened". its typical liberal rhetoric

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Hey that's a good idea.Make it look like a train station or air port terminal in North Korea. I wonder what other good ideas these people have.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
These 'measures' are meant to make us safe? I ask you this, how would you feel if a person of unknown psychological makeup was walking around with an assault weapon? Are does anyone wish to contend that these heavily armed individuals are 'trustworthy'? If so, based on what? The badge?

Do you really think that someone devoted to the notion of 'killing many American pigs' is really going to cease and desist because there are police in the vicinity? They will just go out and get 'bigger' 'better' weapons. Or kill at a location without so much security. What will the solution be then? More lethal weaponry in the hands of our saintly police?

Can you imagine the next incident where cops kill an unarmed person by 'mistake'? Hundred's of rounds instead of dozens.

The more the authorities do stuff like this, the more I feel 'terrorists' have already won.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Great idea

If it hasn't been happening before, its long overdue.

I would be more concerned that this wasn't implemented already.

As someone already mentioned, if something happened that could have been prevented by these 'Machine Gun Toters', people would be crying 'why weren't we prepared'.

If nothing else... the bad elements may think twice.

CX

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Can you imagine the next incident where cops kill an unarmed person by 'mistake'? Hundred's of rounds instead of dozens.

Contrary to what appears to be public opinion, most of these weapons have a single shot and semi auto option, and believe it or not the officers who carry these weapons are actualy trained to use that option.

Not sure i can remember the last time i heard of a cop spraying anyone with automatic fire like they do in the movies.

Mention the word "machine gun" and i'm sure some people think you'll have the cops stood there at the end of the platform with a big .50 cal spraying the crowds of commmuters!

CX.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I find the "submachine gun" statement just a little dubious.

The media are brain-dead when it comes to firearms and the article doesn't describe these submachine guns.

There are a lot of military-style weapons available to law enforcement and civilians that don't have the full-auto capabilities of their military counterparts.

Some of these weapons have selective fire, but I'm doubtful of that, as well.

Clearly, using full-auto in a subway system would be highly ill-advised, if for no other reason than all the surfaces from which rounds could ricochet, creating a danger to everyone, including law enforcement, in such a confined space.

Until I see better evidence, I will just mark this up to typical media fear-mongering relative to firearms.

[edit on 2008/4/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I've seen law enforcement officers carry AR15s. Submachine guns are just peashooters compare to that.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Would you like to site some evidence that the reported, sub-machine guns. Aren't really sub-machine guns. Most local police are now being
outfitted with M4's.

8 months ago: Milwaukee Police range master Sgt. James MacGillis fires an M4 rifle at the range Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2007, in Milwaukee. MacGillis said his department is ordering bullets now that won't be used until next spring and has repeatedly dipped into its ammunition reserve. Troops training for and fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are firing more than 1 billion bullets a year, contributing to ammunition shortages hitting police departments nationwide and preventing some officers from training with the weapons they carry on patrol.

The Army, the carbine's heaviest user, is outfitting all its front-line combat units with M4s. The Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and special operations forces also carry M4s. So do U.S. law enforcement agencies and militaries in many NATO countries.

The M4 can fire hundreds of rounds per minute!
Such an open show of force would only intimidate the very rare kook.
Any real terrorist threat, simply work round, (known) defensives. Like in the (1974?) Olympics!
Unless this is supposed to make the dumb public feel safe. It is a total waste of money. Unless, as I said it is for a more diabolical purpose!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join