It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

an UPRISING?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
theres alot of talk over at infowars about the how , the where, the when and the whether or not to just sit back and keep takin it.

im talkin about in the message boards, the common folks that is.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
In my opinion, an uprising would be worthless right now. There aren't enough people willing to stand up to make a difference in how things are run.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i sadly concede........ ur most likely correct but.......... im not all that tuned in to the attitude of people all over the country. in my corner of the world evrybody seems to have the attitude of " here i am ..... and here ill stay........ but if they come on my property..........."

it will be too late

when they came for the communist
when they came for the machinist
when they came for the jews
and when they came for me there was nobody else to help me

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
By the time politics becomes intolerable enough for armed uprisings, there won't be any point--the most powerful post anyone will occupy will be SYSADMIN. :p

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
please explain mako

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuter
i sadly concede........ ur most likely correct but.......... im not all that tuned in to the attitude of people all over the country. in my corner of the world evrybody seems to have the attitude of " here i am ..... and here ill stay........ but if they come on my property..........."

it will be too late

when they came for the communist
when they came for the machinist
when they came for the jews
and when they came for me there was nobody else to help me

that's why if it's someone else's fight, it's your fight too. I highly doubt anyone likes the way things are headed in this world. As corny as it may sound; we need a hero. Someone to bring the people together and rectify things. It's sure as hell not going to get any better while people sit on their arses and just accept being indentured servants the rest of their lives.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Basically, at the rate technology is progressing, pretty soon we'll have the ability to abandon flesh entirely. The same nerve-circuit links that the mind control crowd is wanking over can also be used to GIVE control to the brain--which is already the only part of the body we can't replace or grow. At the moment, only the rich can afford replacement parts--but someday (long before we get fed up with our rulers, if I know humanity) cybernetic enhancements will be as ubiquitous as cell phones. And a few decades after that, they'll be standard issue. And probably around the same time that computers become more powerful than the human brain, we'll begin abandoning the human brain entirely--again, just the rich at first, but in time this could eliminate every problem facing humanity today.
It used to be a fact of life that, in order for eudaimonic societies like ancient Greece to exist, you needed large amounts of slave labor--but imagine replacing the slaves with a totally automated infrastructure. Why go to all the trouble that our current elites are going to to maintain their position when you can replace everyone below you with a robot or computer? Eventually, every task that people don't enjoy doing will be handled by machines--and in time, we'll probably BE the machines.
EDIT: And by that, I don't mean that we'll be mindless drones--I mean we'll be able to replace every part of the human body with something better. Heck, you could just abandon the body altogether and live as data. You'd hardly need any government for a world like that--maybe a few programs to monitor things and penalize unlawful behavior, and maybe a sort of Admin account, either a trusted human mind elected by popular vote (another benefit of digital transmigration: as Anonymous has shown me, being able to reach consensus at the speed of light makes true democracy possible for the first time in history!) or a program created specifically to act as a sort of divine authority.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Makoto]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Makoto

Hence...Rage Against the Machine.

Coincidence? I think not...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
People often think of automation as a bad thing--but what happens when there are no more jobs left? No more work to do? Endless leisure time, to spend as you please--hopefully on something intellectually stimulating, but knowing humans we'll probably just screw all the time...

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Makoto

If computers advance the way many people, including you, think that they will, there will be no need for humans. We'll simply be done away with. Our leisure time will be dead time.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
it could be cool but knowing us wed probably just screw....... it all up

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

AI doesn't just arise spontaneously when a computer gets powerful enough--replicating human consciousness would be a ridiculously complex endeavor that would be utterly wasted on your average servant. People around here are always talking about how the people in charge (whoever they are) are denying people their freedom and trying to control them--why the flying bat # would they do the exact opposite to a machine empowered to kill people with its bare manipulators?
EDIT: Technically, yes, humanity will go extinct--by virtue of ceasing to exist as an animal species. What we become... well, it's probably going to be sort of like a global version of /b/. Only with no CP, because there aren't any children.

[edit on 19-4-2008 by Makoto]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
anyway enough hijacking back to the point ...... lots of folks are getting pretty riled up.................... comments?

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Makoto

I realize that AI doesn't come about by itself. But if it does come about how you say it will, then it probably be more 'powerful' then we will at first think of it, and that's where the problem comes from. How will we control something that is smarter than us?

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It won't be--by the time we can make an AI that's smarter than a human, we'll be using related technology to improve our own performance, both mentally and physically. I've mentioned before that the only body part that we can't build or grow something to replace is the human brain--and with nerve-circuit connectivity improving by leaps and bounds, pretty soon we'll be buying memory upgrades for ourselves as much as our PCs.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
People won't start fighting until their wallets get hit...HARD.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Exactly--America wrings its hands a lot, but it won't actually do anything until it's absolutely necessary. I mean, if nobody suffers from this NWO, it wouldn't be worth rebelling against.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I have a hard time following you, Makoto. Why are we talking about humans becoming cyborgs and robots and stuff when the original point was basically "What do you make of talk of an uprising?". Not meant to disrespect, just to make you aware that it's a little confusing.

As to the origfinal question.... an uprising will happen in due time. It's just a question of "How bent out of shape do people have to get before they snap?"

Another question you have to ask is this: "Who will take advantage of the rage and anger, in order to round us back into the same situation over again?"... because we're thinking about doing the same thing we always do when the problems build up. Just fly off the handle into chaos, and then let someone come in, most likely the same idealist that we're opposed to, to offer us up a solution to the problem that eityher he, or similar thinkers like him, have given us. Which is fear based control. When the country explodes into violence, the fear takes over, and irrationality sets in, and naturally, people will keep appearing to take advantage of the fear, because it is rip[e for the picking.

May I suggest that people calm down and really think about what should be done before just snapping and accepting anything that offers immediate gratification of whatever strong emotion being felt at the time?

Well sure I can suggest that... but it won't happen.

This uprising you speak of... I'm not looking forward to the aftermath.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It started a little further up the page--I put forth the idea that modern politics will implode well before people get sick of them, and when I was asked for details I elaborated. Sorry about the colossal non sequitur. ^^;

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
mako

thanks for your input , honestly, but to be truthful you lost me somewhere in all the techno jargon....... however i do realize there is truth in what youre sayin what with the exponential expansion of technology and such

top topics

join