It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free Tibet? Hell, free America!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Free Tibet? Hell, free America!

www.sfgate.com

We have torture. We have a frighteningly simpleminded cowboy-wannabe president who supports and endorses the most inhumane treatment of prisoners imaginable despite its utter failure as a tactic, and this violent belief, this dark energy infects the national bloodstream like prehistoric malaria.

We have capital punishment. We remain the only so-called advanced first-world democracy on the planet that legally kills its own, and we top it off by imprisoning tens of thousands more merely for growing or selling a bit of marijuana or Ecstasy or meth, wasting tens of billions of dollars on an overflowing prison system and a failed drug war that no one at the highest levels of government dares speak against because oh my God all drugs are evil! Now go slam a few beers and a fistful of Xanax and forget about it.

We still have a hateful fundamentalist religious right that, despite nicely fracturing itself over the fact that certain chunks of it aren't hateful enough toward women and gays and sex and non-Christian beliefs, still freaks out when kids play dress up, still is horrified by the notion of a black or female president, still honestly believes homosexuality is an abomination and Jesus spoke perfect English and stem cells have feelings and cavemen rode dinosaurs and the vagina is Satan's playground. Which, of course, it totally is. But in a good way.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I think this actually makes some good points, particularly in regard to torture and executions (I'm anti)

This comes after the article about yet another piece of legislation which seems specifically designed to subjugate the american people.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

also see this thread

[edit on 17/4/2008 by budski]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Excellent thread as usual budski..Starred and flagged.

There are some seriously F-ed up priorities going on here, and things seem to be snow-balling in terms of the populace all but "disappearing" into non-relevance to these tyrannical megalomaniacs. It is becoming more alarming by the day.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Thanks DD - I know the article comes off as a bit of a rant, but it actually points out some very important issues in a way not usually seen.

No messing about here, this guy has called it as he see's it - and in a lot of ways he's right on the money.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You want scary...Look up H.R. 1955 The Homegrown Radicalization Bill, makes all the other stuff seem, well, insignificant.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
A very good read. It really strikes home. Too bad Bush doesn't know how to read, he might learn something from this. Meh, I take that back, he wouldn't learn anything from it.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I think this pic speaks louder than any words.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The only part from this article that I find to be true is the unjust prison system that throws people in just for smoking a natural herb.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

So you don't actually mind torture, executions, or religious zeolotry?

You're not from saudi by any chance are you?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by d11_m_na_c05

It always amazes me how we not only want them to gear their economy to suit our needs, but also want them to behave in a fashion we deem suitable, even if we don't follow that same way of doing things ourselves.

I don't like what china does - but then I don't have a lot of time for what bush&co do either.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by West Coast

So you don't actually mind torture, executions, or religious zeolotry?

You're not from saudi by any chance are you?

Torture is illegal in the US. Gitmo is NOT in the US. Its a loophole that exists. Moreover you have ZERO proof to show that there was every torture in Gitmo.

Executions are only done on criminals who have comitted grave acts of violence. You know this as well but you want to spew some nonsense for the sake of it.

Religious zelotry is a freedom . I can be a zealot if I want to , that is my liberty as long as I dont persecute other people's rights. You can be a flaming homosexual if you want to. I can hate you for that and curse you. Those are all liberties.

That is what a free society is all about. You have no idea what Saudi arabia is so dont even try talking about it. I've been there. USA is the most free and most wonderful place on the planet. Your discontent is a product of being spoilt. A few years in a foreign land will cure you of that easily.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
erm - who said ANYTHING about gitmo.

I also see a lot of people who despise religious zealotry from a non christian group but are strangely quiet when it comes to their own religion.

That's the point.

The article contains a LOT of truth.

Deal with it.

And BTW - I have spent plenty of time in foreign lands.
Don't presume to know anything about me - you know zip, nada, nothing.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Budski you made my day I just could not stop laughing when I read the title of your thread.

To think that is a good number of Americans that truly believe our nation is still free and the model of freedom for the rest of the world to see.

What a joke.

Our freedoms has been long gone, America is at the mercy of the wealthy elite that rules in Corporate America, they dictate our laws, our debt and even how we sleep and eat.

Freedoms alright as long as they are under the watchful eye of our elite chosen government so we do not step beyond the boundaries enacted by them and protected by their written laws.

Still patriotism is use against us to coerce the nations citizens that their elected leaders knows what is good for us.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
As usual, great post.

Starred and Flagged.

We are often 'distracted' from the 'backdrop' in front of which we need to work. Younger generations grow up, conditioned to 'ignore' the bad stuff and focus on consumerism and instant gratification. Then all the 'older' folks wax nostalgic about how much better it was in the olden days..., never one realizing that THESE are your kid's olden days. And while you may not be able to change anything, you should at least be explaining or pointing out what the 'backdrop' is - not ignoring it.

They fail to see or even register that not protecting each other from intolerance (religious or otherwise) is like laying down to tyranny, and left unchecked, makes all of us weak victims. Sometimes I really miss Marley, "Get up, stand up!..." *sigh*

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

My pleasure marg

So many people confuse patriotism with supporting their leaders - they are 2 different things.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I don't even picture religion within the elite group controlling American, see unless the power of money is as religious as it can be within the highest hierarchy .

They stand not chance for the pure bloods that has taken this nation to rob us blind while we fight because of religious matters of control.

Yes the pure bloods just use the religious leaders to keep them in their side so they can keep the faithful followers fighting each others religious denominations for easy control.

Is all about money, greed and the power to turn a nations into zombies.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
erm - who said ANYTHING about gitmo.

I also see a lot of people who despise religious zealotry from a non christian group but are strangely quiet when it comes to their own religion.

That's the point.

Well there is no other case of "Torture" that goes on that you cant sue for.

Religious zelotry is despised when it infringes on the inalienable rights of an individual like the RIGHT TO LIVE. There are NO christian groups that infringe on this right because that would be antithetical to Christianity.

There is no point to the article other than it being a gripe.

If this was the hell hole that the article claims why do thousands upon thousands of immigrants risk life and limb trying to get into this country ??

Most of these article about "our rights have been taken away" are BS written by anarchists who yearn for something that exsists in their heads.

There are no "good old" days. The good old days they speak of were a time when going out for a burger was an "event". The threat of nuclear destruction was imminent and the government carried out commie witch hunts. Today we dont have muslim witchhunts. Despite the invasion of privacy, it much better that I didnt know my privacy was being invaded that go through a McCarthy style drum head trial to "prove my innocence".

Good old days my foot.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Here the cry as the world despises the policies and passes you by;

There is no ABU GHRAIB

There is NO PERSECUTION OF PEOPLE FOR THEIR CHOSEN LIFESTYLE

There is NO RELIGIOUS ZEALOTRY

The Patriot act, Homeland Security act and The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act ARE GOOD

There is no FAILED WAR ON DRUGS

The US does not EXECUTE CHILDREN

Killing others for their oil IS GOOD.

Have a read of this thread I suspect it may appeal to you.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

If this was the hell hole that the article claims why do thousands upon thousands of immigrants risk life and limb trying to get into this country ??

Economics 101 topic — Supply and Demand.

Millions of people come to this country because corporate America is addicted to cheap labor.

We have seen a lot of jobs shipped overseas to satisfy corporate America's addiction to cheap labor.

It is a drug that our corporate backbone cannot live without.

US is not the only rich country in the world is other countries with systems of governments that works for their people, Why immigrants do not flood those nations? because their borders are not so easily broken and these countries do not allow immigrants illegally.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The world does not despise the US. It is merely the liberal pansies in Europe who have a hard time when the US gets down to the dirty work that they started in the first place.

ABU GARIB is in Iraq not America. Plus the conduct of the soldiers there was against the US Army rules and they were prosecuted as such. If they were put in American prisions they would have needed rectal re constructive surgery. They are lucky they got off easy.

Persecution of people for their CHOSEN lifestyle. That is a liberty of every American. I have the right to hate and loath every single sexually deviant lifestyle I see and all their activities. Just because I hate their guts doesnt mean I have a right to harm them. That is freedom. freedom to hate as well as practice.

No religious bigotry is right. People are allowed to preach any religion they want as long as they dont infringe on anybody else's rights. Unlike the Islamists.

The Failed war on drugs was started by a liberal president who followed the same idiotic strategy of appeasing minorities and having open borders.

The USA does not execute children. Go read the Army manual regarding the treatment of non-combatants in a conflict zone. Any premeditated killing of civilians are illegal. Usually children die as collateral damage. That happens all over the world in any conflict.

Killing others for oil ? What oil ? The US is facing the highest oil prices in history (bar the 70s) . If we did get Iraq's oil we would be having no problems at all now and I could get fuel at a $ a gallon but I'm paying 3+.

Getting your head out of some utopian fantasy is a good way to wake up to the real world. Some fantastic dream sold by anarchists and preached by liberals is not America. Never was. Never will be.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join