It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amid Mounting Food Crisis, Governments Fear Revolution of The Hungry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Amid Mounting Food Crisis, Governments Fear Revolution of The Hungry

wsws.org

What is emerging in the crisis over food prices is a tumultuous manifestation of a breakdown of the global capitalist order. The catastrophe facing billions of people around the globe cannot be resolved within the confines of a system based on private profit and the nation state.

The revolutionary implications of this crisis are beginning to dawn on elements within the ruling establishment itself. In an article published Monday, the influential US magazine Time noted: “The idea of the starving masses driven by their desperation to take to the streets and overthrow the ancien regime has seemed impossibly quaint since capitalism triumphed so decisively in the Cold War... And yet, the headlines of the past month suggest that skyrocketing food prices are threatening the stability of a growing number of governments around the world.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
How terrible will it be if this leads to total world-wide revolutions and uprising against TPTB---Starvation? These greed-mongers may take their profiteering and globalistic policies too far, and it may finally be the straw that breaks the camels back into total chaos on a planetary scale...

With terrifying rapidity, hundreds of millions of people all over the planet have been confronted with the inability to obtain the basic necessities of life. The global capitalist market is dictating intolerable conditions for masses of people on every continent, provoking a worldwide eruption of class struggle.

It is the concern that this struggle will spin out of control that found expression in the statements of concern issued by the IMF and World Bank leaders together with finance ministers and central bank chiefs gathered in Washington.

wsws.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Something has to give. These wealthy parasites have ridden the backs of working people too long. I'm certain that no one is more amazed than they are at how far they can go and what they can get away with.

Maybe they will push it a tad too far. Or maybe what they have set in motion has spun even out of their control. At any rate, starvation is a powerful motivator.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
We all know what happened the last time the "hungry masses" rose up to overthrow the "tyrants".

Decades of further starvation.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Be careful of leaders that emerge from chaos.

They are almost always opportunists, not saviors.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Yet another detail being fulfilled of the apocalypse. It's amazing how a 2000 year old Biblical prophecy is being fulfilled today.

Mark 13:8
(In the last days) Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be earthquakes in various places, and famines. These are the beginning of birth pains.

It's just a pain that we have to be the generation to start seeing all of this.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Geez, why do you have to go quote the bible? Like this is the first time in history that there have been earthquakes and famines... This really brings absolutely nothing to any debate. This should be a site where you think for yourself, not quote somebody else's words like they're the absolute truth.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajmusicmedia
Geez, why do you have to go quote the bible? Like this is the first time in history that there have been earthquakes and famines... This really brings absolutely nothing to any debate. This should be a site where you think for yourself, not quote somebody else's words like they're the absolute truth.

Hmmm... it appears you've been here long enough to know that every source on the planet could be quoted here and just because someone does quote something, doesn't mean they aren't thinking for themselves. And your opinion may not be that of others... get it? Jeezus... look around. No worries... I used to be a complete A-hole at the beginning of my ventures here, too... now I'm down to a partial

And thank you for posting that little tid-bit from your thoughts, Seven!

That said, the Haitians already rose up against their government because of the food issues (posted elsewhere at ATS too)...

news.yahoo.com...
Haiti's government falls after food riots

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haiti's government fell on Saturday when senators fired the prime minister after more than a week of riots over food prices, ignoring a plan presented by the president to slash the cost of rice.

Stone-throwing crowds began battling U.N. peacekeepers and Haitian police in the south on April 2, enraged at the soaring cost of rice, beans, cooking oil and other staples.

The unrest spread this week to the capital, Port-au-Prince, bringing the sprawling and chaotic city to a halt as mobs took over the streets, smashing windows, looting shops, setting fire to cars and hurling rocks at motorists.

U.N. troops, stationed in Haiti since Jean-Bertrand Aristide was ousted as president in a revolt in 2004, fired tear gas and rubber bullets on several occasions to disperse protesters.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The problem is.
If you rise up to overthrow the controllers and corperations.
There will be even less food to go around as they have deftly removed the small farmer from the scene.
Things are not as they once were.
I'm afraid we rely on these scoundrels for our very lives.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Worker bees can leave
Even drones can fly away
The queen is their slave

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RabbitChaser
I used to be a complete A-hole at the beginning of my ventures here, too...

Thanks for the compliment. I am in no way at the beginning of my ventures. ATS is certainly not the be-all and end-all of human knowledge. I understand why so many people are leaving this place. I think I will include myself in these numbers.

Religion is a road-block to finding the truth about anything at all. It is a means of manipulating people. Read a bit of real history and you will find out so much. Or don't; really, what do I care? (you called me one, might as well enjoy the privilege).

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Another article put out today, along the same lines, from The International Herald Tribune...This is becoming deadly serious, world-wide. We may soon see planetary rioting and the oppressed rising up against their govs...

Across Globe, Hunger Brings Rising Anger

That anger is palpable across the globe. The food crisis is not only being felt among the poor but is also eroding the gains of the working and middle classes, sowing volatile levels of discontent and putting new pressures on fragile governments.

In Cairo, the military is being put to work baking bread as rising food prices threaten to become the spark that ignites wider anger at a repressive government. In Burkina Faso and other parts of sub-Saharan Africa, food riots are breaking out as never before. In reasonably prosperous Malaysia, the ruling coalition was nearly ousted by voters who cited food and fuel price increases as their main concerns.

"It's the worst crisis of its kind in more than 30 years," said Jeffrey Sachs, the economist and special adviser to the United Nations secretary general, Ban Ki-moon. "It's a big deal and it's obviously threatening a lot of governments. There are a number of governments on the ropes, and I think there's more political fallout to come."

Full Story:
www.iht.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Rice is hitting a new record tonight. Corn, soybean, and wheat have all hit records lately. The CBOE and maybe another commodities exchange have increased margin requirements in an attempt to reign in the speculators. It doesn't seem to be working.

I find this Bible verse more appropriate

Revelations 6:5-6
5When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, "Come!" I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

top topics

join