On the 2 occasions that I have been made redundant over the last few years, I have tried to apply for benefits whilst I was looking for work. Both
times I ended up telling the buggers where they could go poke their benefits due to the red tape and blinkered thinking of the benefits staff.
- You haven't filled in this section listing the work you are looking for and and what days of the week / hours you are
prepared to work.
- I haven't got a job and need to pay bills / rent. I'll do just about anything and I'm available 7 days a week, day or night shift.
- But you need to tell us specifically what work you are looking for and when you are available.
- I just told you, I'm not looking for a career. I haven't got a job so I'm available 7 days a week any hours.
- But on the form you need to say specifically what work you are looking for and what days / hours you are available.
- Ok, I'm holding out for Chairmanship of ICI, available Tuesday - Thursday, 10AM - 3PM.
- You are not taking this seriously Mr. X
Seriously, as someone who prides himself on paying his own way and has worked bloody hard since the age of 16, it irks me no end to see people gaming
the system and those with a checkable work history treated like idiots and potential spongers. From my example above, it became abundantly clear that
the people charged with carrying out the interviews have no clue about the real world. The documentation they use MUST be completed to their
satisfaction, no matter how ambiguous or senseless it seems.
My younger sister married an older guy years ago who fits the bill of "workshy waster" completely. Always able to play the systems, always got a
doctors sick note and always seems to have money.
I know there are people who genuinely are trying to seek work but, due to a depressed job situation locally may not be successful. There is also the
fact that the immigration issue has helped to depress wages as many from the immigrant population are prepared to work for much less than we are. I
am sure that's by design too, cynical bugger that I am
[edit on 14-4-2008 by Britguy]