It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

I think you meant "dummies" not "dummys"

Anyhow I digress.. wishing someone was not alive or imprisoning someone without a fair trial has many repercussions I'll not bring to light here.

I accept your opinion without prejudice or harm.. I do however disagree.

You live in a society that is supposedly democratic which means it is run by the majority and by a "society" in which ever organization one is living with and uses.

When the students are at home they are under house rules.. when they are at school they are under the schools policy. Which I'm sure is beneficial to all teachers, students and parents. If the parents or the students find certain guild lines in appropriate then they do have the option to challenge it or remove their kids from such institutions. School does not cater to individuals but to society as a whole.

There is no patriotism here or honor which needs to be defended.. adding reasons to an individual’s disrespect of an institutions rules and procedures is in excusable.

Every job has risks and every job comes with sacrifices.. there is no individual who can determine which "job" contributes the most or sacrifices the most for the populace. There are millions of individuals who make sacrifices be it personal or for another.

How many lost names and faces are dead and dying for the cause of personal sacrifice within the world we share and live on? This sounds like it needs another thread and I do not mean to derail from the topic at hand.

I digress and stand by the schools decision.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm in aww at the lack of consideration our soldiers get on this thread

I keep hearing that every job has risks....
I'll tell you what, when you strap on a helmet, side arm, body armor and walk down an enemy street on patrol all day long where a sniper or roadside bomb can kill you at any second, you have the right to say your job is dangerous. If you're not doing that or something similar, maybe you should rethink your stance as it is both disrespectful and illogical.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Willbert
Every job has risks and every job comes with sacrifices.. there is no individual who can determine which "job" contributes the most or sacrifices the most for the populace. There are millions of individuals who make sacrifices be it personal or for another.

Trust me on this one, some banker or burger flipper doesn't have to worry about getting hit by a SAM while they are at work like I do when I deploy. So, their "sacrifices" really don't pack too much weight with me or my friends.

Back to the thread.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I would say anyone who is willing to stand up and put their life on the line to protect the freedoms which we enjoy, ranks pretty damn high up on the chain. Millions have died so you and I are free today and saying what they do is anything less then heroic is completely insane.

I simply don't understand why people must speak about things they simply don't know about. Talk to a soldier and find out what types of sacrifices they make every day and compare those sacrifices to your job and you'll find you've got it pretty damn cushy.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

If the cause was just I may agree to some "degree" based on what standards one is sacrificing for. But in my opinion and in my eyes.. all I can see are hired thugs/guns looking to make ends meet for themselves and their families fighting battles others instigate.

I'm not saying individuals who fight wars are bad people. We each accept what is good and bad and live life to what we each believe is acceptable to us and tolerable.

The thread was based on whether the "distraction" is acceptable at this school. And at this "institution" it was deemed an unacceptable distraction to the "other" students within the class and also to the teacher.

I am not dissing soldiers.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

If the cause was just I may agree to some "degree" based on what standards one is sacrificing for. But in my opinion and in my eyes.. all I can see are hired thugs/guns looking to make ends meet for themselves and their families fighting battles others instigate.

Soldiers don't get to pick their battles. Blame those who put them in that situation.

I blame the Bush administration completely for the deaths of every civiilian and soldier in Iraq and afganistan and they should be charged with those deaths. Of course they won't but I still believe in our soldiers regardless of what the administration has done and they should be given some consideration such as being able to talk to their child when it's possible for them to do so.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

their child when it's possible for them to do so.

When it means distracting other's children in class and distracting a teacher doing thier job. No.

Unless your implying that special privilages should be given/taken for a select few in society who deam themselves above others who may be.. say civilians? Are we to segragate the masses based on which rights we each have now?

Hence why "policies" are put in place and for the "majority" to follow so all recieve fair treatment regardless of race, religion etc...

Is it not hypicritical for someone to break policies in which they are fighting to protect? I'm confused why? They can't fight their superiors so bash other institutions because they fall under a lesser occupation?

wow.....

And Russia say their a democrocy too... just not run like others thats all.. so how many differant democrocies are there?

If there is a policy in place and the student breaks it.. he/she should be punished accordingly. If there was no policy .. then a warning.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Willbert]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

their child when it's possible for them to do so.

When it means distracting other's children in class and distracting a teacher doing thier job. No.

When a teacher can realize the soldiers sacrifice and say, please step outside and keep it short, I don't see a problem with that. That is the least we can do for their sacrifices in our names.

Unless your implying that special privilages should be given/taken for a select few in society who deam themselves above others who may be.. say civilians? Are we to segragate the masses based on which rights we each have now?

I believe that if you are willing to die for your country, you deserve a few "perks" and if that is possibly talking to your child for the last time before you die in a fire fight in another country, so be it.

Hence why "policies" are put in place and for the "majority" to follow so all recieve fair treatment regardless of race, religion etc...

Rules are important to maintain order but if rules are "all important" we lose what we cherish the most-our humanity.

If there is a policy in place and the student breaks it.. he/she should be punished accordingly. If there was no policy .. then a warning.

Policies have flexibility and should have flexibility. I broke a policy and saved 3 lives. Based on your black and white world, I should have obeyed the policy and let those people die. The world isn't in black and white.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

Soldiers are paid and do receive perks from their governments. Ask those who are retired now how kindly their government takes care of them.

We all "die", there is no sacrifice in dying for an unjust cause. Standing up to what one believes is a sacrifice unto its self.

But I guess the benefits and the pay is much better then as you say.. forgoing the policy? Why don't the US soldiers oppose their commanders? Oh that’s right.. you will get shot or do time in prison? Or worse.. no pay and no benefits for the wife and kids.

Everything comes with a price.. so no.. the teacher should not have to look at what another individual does for them as they are doing what they can for you by educating your kids. If you didn't want them to be educated by the teachers then you would have removed them from the school.

Don't ask of others when a soldier is not willing to do the same, in regards to breaking policy and coming home to help a fractured society find their identity again rather then raping another nation of their families and friends.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

Soldiers are paid and do receive perks from their governments. Ask those who are retired now how kindly their government takes care of them.

Why don't you visit your local VA hospital and then describe all those "perks".

We all "die", there is no sacrifice in dying for an unjust cause. Standing up to what one believes is a sacrifice unto its self.

Again, soldiers don't get to decide what cause to die for, they trust their government is giving them just orders to follow.

But I guess the benefits and the pay is much better then as you say.. forgoing the policy? Why don't the US soldiers oppose their commanders?

They go to jail and or lose all their benefits and it follows them for the rest of their lives.

Everything comes with a price.. so no.. the teacher should not have to look at what another individual does for them as they are doing what they can for you by educating your kids. If you didn't want them to be educated by the teachers then you would have removed them from the school.

myopia can be cured with education.

Don't ask of others when a soldier is not willing to do the same, in regards to breaking policy and coming home to help a fractured society find their identity again rather then raping another nation of their families and friends.

Well this blanket statement shows ignorance. Sorry but true.
You simply don't understand that just because a war isn't just doesn't mean soldiers aren't good people making sacrifices. Maybe you should join so you can actually understand what you're talking about.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I would, if the wool was pulled over my eyes.

And following a superior because its policy does not make it right. Knowing one is following a bad policy does make one a bad person for not fighting the true fight.

We all have priorities and we all decide on our "own" what we each wish to do with our lives.

Most employers know that employees do as they are told because of the bills and life style we each want for ourselves and loved ones.

I still disagree that an individual should decide how a policy should be broken when it affects others.

In the old days.. did the wife run to the school to read a letter she got from her husband in the battlefield? Or did she wait until the kids got home? Just because a life is taken does not mean perks should be taken without proper channels.

You’re sort of insinuating that soldiers are above the law?? Sort of like OJ.... I know, bad comparison in regards to moral standards.. but same kind of benefits/perks due to popularity for what one has accomplished and done...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

You’re sort of insinuating that soldiers are above the law?? Sort of like OJ.... I know, bad comparison in regards to moral standards.. but same kind of benefits/perks due to popularity for what one has accomplished and done...

No I'm sort of insinuating the school policies are not laws and should be flexible to accomodate, when possible, those who serve our country.

OJ is a criminal and comparing him to our soldiers is absurd.

Laws and policies allow for flexibility all the time and because of the sacrifices involved in joining the military, I believe soldiers should receive a bit fo extra consideration when possible.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

policies are not laws and should be flexible to accomodate, when possible, those who serve our country.

I might agree if those abroad were serving their country...

I digress

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

policies are not laws and should be flexible to accomodate, when possible, those who serve our country.

I might agree if those abroad were serving their country...

I digress

They are it's just that that their country is not serving them. Talk to the Bush administration about that.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join