It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Texas School Suspends Student for Answering Call in Class From Dad in Iraq

www.foxnews.com

....Cove High School in Texas, where half the students have at least one parent deployed, justified the punishment against Brandon Hill by saying he had violated the no-cell-phone policy when he took the call from his father, who is serving in Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I know this is from faux news, but a story nonetheless. I feel bad for this kid and his dad. To not allow a child to speak with his father who is serving for our country is despicable.
This kid doesn't know when the next time he will be able to speak to his dad will be. If that time will even come. This soldier is putting his life on the line. It probably lifts his spirits when he gets to talk to his family.
How can the school say this is justified? The fact that whoever turned this kid in even did such a thing ticks me off. I can understand a rule about texting during class and yapping with your friends, but when your dad is deployed overseas and your time to talk is limited, this 'rule' should not apply.
Schools seem to be becoming more like a prison than a learning institution lately.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
That's pretty bad. I think the people who suspended this kid should be forbidden from speaking with their families except on days when this kid gets to speak with his dad, from now until his dad comes home.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The mother said the incident had been "resolved"...

Satisfactorily for the family, i hope, and NOT the prison. er,, i mean,, the
SCHOOL!

Maybe they re-instated the boy, because of MEDIA attention...

Normally, cell calls aren't allowed during class, but give me a break-
a call that important should never be prohibited!

Maybe ALL the soldier-parents of students at the school should call at the
same time, to 'school' the administrators!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
rules are rules guys. No cellphones in class. Doesn't matter who it is. I think the school did the right thing. So the guy is in Iraq, who isn't? They could have emailed eachother. And why is the dad calling the kid in the middle of the night? shouldn't he be sleeping. I'm not a supporter of the war or the troops. So I don't feel for this story as others do.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
rules are rules guys. No cellphones in class. Doesn't matter who it is. I think the school did the right thing. So the guy is in Iraq, who isn't? They could have emailed eachother. And why is the dad calling the kid in the middle of the night? shouldn't he be sleeping. I'm not a supporter of the war or the troops. So I don't feel for this story as others do.

Are you kidding me?

Do you know his schedule? Do you know if he works days, swings or mids? Seriously, that comment is just way off in left field.

And who isnt in Iraq? LMAO. Many people arent.

Sometimes they only have a brief time w/in a week's period to make a phone call home. It could have been his ONLY call that wekk. That call is priceless to families back home.

Obviously, you just dont know.

So, you dont support the troops....and rules are rules. Have a little sympathy for a child who probably hasnt seen their father in a year...and said he was going through a very hard time.

Its a child for goodness sake. Im sure you can "feel" the heartache and stress he goes through.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
So, you dont support the troops....and rules are rules. Have a little sympathy for a child who probably hasnt seen their father in a year...and said he was going through a very hard time.

if he called during school hours here, it'd say it was 3 am in Iraq. And why should I support the troops if I don't support the war. Sorry greeneyed. But I don't support any level of the war, that includes the troop and his family. They are getting paid by the government to kill and all the money from our taxes go to them. but that's not the topic. it's about no cellphones in class, common sense nowadays.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Sorry, jedi, you're not entirely correct...

The topic includes "took the call from his father, who is serving in Iraq".

While i do not support the war, either; I ALWAYS SUPPORT AMERICAN
FORCES!

I don't think you'll influence people, or make friends, with your current
attitude about our troops!

Shouldn't you be denying ignorance?

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The school has rules. I assume it wasnt some kind of
emergency or it wouldnt be an issue, probably just a hello I miss you.
Why couldnt the dad wait a few hours for after school. Half of the
students have parents in Iraq, does that mean its okay for all those
students to get calls during school hours just for a hello i miss you?
For an emergency, ofcourse.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER
I don't think you'll influence people, or make friends, with your current
attitude about our troops!

Shouldn't you be denying ignorance?

It's not about making friends Frightener. it's about what you stand for. your ideologies about the war. I Don't support the war, the troops or their families. Actually, I had a thread back there somewhere where I said we should bring all the troops home and make them work in factories. Making cars, goods, building homes, painting schools. etc. I am for dissolving the military and stop spending money and supporting these people who want to go to war. Sorry, but that's how I feel. So if some kid gets a phone call from someone in Iraq should I be crying in my bed for this person? Sorry, I guess I have no feelings for this kid.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Reply to josephine:

I understand rules, j. But cell phones are relatively new, in relation to
America's last few MAJOR wars.

In this particular war w/Iraq, our troops are being victimized with an
exceptionally evil and unforgiving tactic: Improvised Explosive Devices,
and suicide bombers.

My buddies who are vets, all say that this one element has caused a
higher level of alert, and stress on our troops. (translation: FEAR of being
blown apart at any moment)!!!

Because of this issue, i believe the soldiers should be allowed contact with
loved ones back home ANYTIME; DAY OR NIGHT; as each second counts.

Certainly YOU would probably want the same consideration, if you were
looking out for your life in such a stressful environment? I would.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Fair enough, jedi. I respect your ability to stand your ground. I just felt
that you NOT supporting American forces, sounds negative to me.

"make them work in factories" Wow, harsh. Do you mean penalize them?

"disolving the military" Really? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want
to disolve the insane congress who deploys the troops to foreign lands,
under false pretenses, instead!?!

I AM glad to hear you say we should stop supporting the people who want
to go to war. Star for THAT part; friend-O

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

ot about making friends Frightener. it's about what you stand for. your ideologies about the war. I Don't support the war, the troops or their families. Actually, I had a thread back there somewhere where I said we should bring all the troops home and make them work in factories. Making cars, goods, building homes, painting schools. etc. I am for dissolving the military and stop spending money and supporting these people who want to go to war. Sorry, but that's how I feel. So if some kid gets a phone call from someone in Iraq should I be crying in my bed for this person? Sorry, I guess I have no feelings for this kid.

I guess you can't you imagine how much it would demoralize the father if the only call he could make to his son was met with voice mail, or an unreachable message. It may be the last time he gets to speak to his son.. Stuff the school policy.

As far as I'd be concerned, I'd completely ignore the schools policy also if I was worried about a family member who I may never see again.

I wonder if the same policy applies to teachers, who may be very concerned about their loved ones and opt for being contactable at any time...

Whether or not you agree with war, they are still YOUR men, women, mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters and citizens of YOUR country, for whom you should respect as you'd respect any other human being. Vent at the policy, the leaders who stay at home, or whatever..

And to show contempt for their families at home.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Actually, I had a thread back there somewhere where I said we should bring all the troops home and make them work in factories. Making cars, goods, building homes, painting schools. etc. I am for dissolving the military and stop spending money and supporting these people who want to go to war.

REMOVED SO NOONES FEELINGS ARE HURT!

This kids father could be killed at any minute, if he wants to take a minute he has free and call his child he can, and the school, the rule, and anyone else's dumb--- can sit there like the good little idiots they are and let a FATHER talk to his SON when it could be their last time speaking. Oh thats right, we live in America..family don't mean anything anymore...rules and someone elses way of thinking should overide FAMILY!!!! Give me a break...this is why the morals of this country are gone. It's pathetic.

Oh and lastly...how long do you think the US or WORLD would last without our military? I am REAL curious about this....

[edit on 4/13/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER

"make them work in factories" Wow, harsh. Do you mean penalize them?

"disolving the military" Really? I find it hard to believe you wouldn't want
to disolve the insane congress who deploys the troops to foreign lands,
under false pretenses, instead!?!

Not penalize them, but actually work for the united states. We could use the military to build cheaper homes for all of us. We could use the military to build american cars, to work the fields, to work in america and build schools. Take away their guns and give them real jobs..to help america be stronger from the inside. that what i'd do if I was president. just imagine bringing home 30,000 troops and have them work on all the schools in california..painting, fixing, building, teaching, traning kids to defend themselves. we should use the military for good things, to create better things not to destroy.

I had no father and no cellphone while growing up. I was in class in junior high, high school and I could do without being in contact with my mothers and sisters. Heck my dad never called, He left when I was 6 and I never saw him again. So this kids could talk to his dad on the weekend..any other time. he's in school to learn (hopefully) not to be on the phone with his dad. times are getting ridiculous. the kid could call him during his lunch break. I can make international calls on my cellphone, i'm sure the kid could do too. So call me unpatriotic or whatever else. but I am not going to back down and let some kid break the rules because his dad is in iraq. should we also let this kid kill someone because his dad is in Iraq. didn't think so.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I'm sure the soldiers will gladly come home to do that as long as you keep your job flippin burgers, don't move out of your mommy & daddy's house, make sure your Star Wars collection is up to date, and you finally throw away that sticky picture of Princess Leia you have to keep by the bedside!

Personal attacks are not welcome here rcwj75. Read the TOS. deny ignorace friend. I will now report your post to the mods.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

I had no father and no cellphone while growing up. I was in class in junior high, high school and I could do without being in contact with my mothers and sisters. Heck my dad never called, He left when I was 6 and I never saw him again. So this kids could talk to his dad on the weekend..any other time. he's in school to learn (hopefully) not to be on the phone with his dad. times are getting ridiculous. the kid could call him during his lunch break. I can make international calls on my cellphone, i'm sure the kid could do too. So call me unpatriotic or whatever else. but I am not going to back down and let some kid break the rules because his dad is in iraq. should we also let this kid kill someone because his dad is in Iraq. didn't think so.

Oh don't compare your deadbeat runaway father to that of a soldier trying to stay in touch with his kid. And your mom and sister who cares...they weren't in a place where IED's or enemy fire could have killed them in the next 5 minutes. Here is a dad IN WAR trying to make contact with his son during THE ONLY TIME HE HAD. Being in the military and especially a war zone is not like your job. We don't get lunch breaks etc...to go make a call...you call when you can, eat when you can, sleep when you can....but of course you have no idea living in your perfect AMERICAN FREE get what you want when you want it world...oh and guess who you have to thank for that??????????? yeah..you know!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Report yourself by the way for attacking a soldier fighting a war & his innocent son, 5000 miles away from home trying to call his son who he hasn't seen in god knows how long and MAY NEVER SEE AGAIN!!!

You wanna post stupid posts and say dumb stuff like you do then report those who disagree with you....yeah real nice...proves to me who and what you are! Don't say things so blatently stupid if your not man enough to hear a rebuttle!

[edit on 4/13/2008 by rcwj75]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I hate to be the one to break the news to you................but military families can NOT just pick up the phone and call over to Iraq.

Nor can the military member just pick up a phone and call whenever they feel like it.

Sometimes you can only make one phone call in a long period of time. That could have been the only call he could have made.

You act like these military members are staying in a 5 star luxury resort n the Bahama's.

And just because you had a crappy upbringing is a poor excuse to say that other kids should too.

Give me a break.

I dont care if you are unpatriotic. Reallly, I dont. What you are though is clueless on the military, the military families and everything that surrounds it.

You really have no clue what you are talking about. But hey, thats okay. I have no clue about Star Wars.

[edit on 13-4-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
but of course you have no idea living in your perfect AMERICAN FREE get what you want when you want it world...oh and guess who you have to thank for that??????????? yeah..you know!

Oh please that old excuse about freedom. America has been free since 1776. Read the declaration of independance. We are not fighting this war for any type of freedom. We have been free from the British, their taxations and laws. Iraq has not done anything to take our freedoms away. So please stop with nonsense please.

it's funny, you guys will make up any excuse to go to war. So I suppose any war that the US fights is for freedom right?

This kid should not get special treatment..military soldiers are already treated like gods. they are given special treatments everywhere they go. They are given homes, cars, money, discounts. We should give them a throne room too. Yes, maybe i'll make some foes here and there. but guess what? I don't support the war, so I wont support the soldier, his kids or his wife..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join