It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expert: "We're brainwashing our children" about global warming

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Lol, this reminds me of a Newsweek article in 1974: A global Cooling. The original climate propaghanda.

Time archive

Science
Another Ice Age?
Monday, Jun. 24, 1974

I do believe this qoute says it all.

It would be silly to blame man.. there's many more women out there.

Also, is there really anyone out there arguing that humans have more to do with warming than our sun?

Satellite images are showing that the cold spell is helping the sea ice expand in coverage by about 2 million square kilometres, compared to the average winter coverage in the previous three years/ 02/18/2008

Lol biofuels are highly inefficient too, less BTUs means more fuel consumption.
What farmer is gonna grow food if they're subsidized for biofuel?
Food prices are already through the roof. Biofuel costs more then diesel right now.
Where is the infrastructure to dispense it? Where are there any service stations? -think green.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Would it be OK to show our kids this?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Or is this propaganda too?

How bout this? More propaganda?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Why are the polar ice caps melting if it isn't getting warmer.

I'm not blaming global warming on Man, but somethings up. Perhaps it's all the hot air coming out of Washington.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

geez, I can't believe you bought into it as well

absolute rubbish

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Global Warming is only an excuse to raise taxes. Nothing more nothing less.

www.desertdispatch.com...

To fight global warming, a bill in Sacramento would enable Los Angeles County transit officials to increase taxes on motorists.

Global warming at best amounts to less than a degree of temperature increase during the past century. If the recent several-year cooling trend is an indication, global warming may be going away. But because the only "proof" of long-term catastrophic consequences lies in contrived computer models, politicians like Mr. Feuer can insist even as temperatures decline that doomsday still lies ahead unless people tax themselves to fix the problem.

Los Angeles County motorists should ask Mr. Feuer what global temperature would persuade him that a new tax is unneeded. Global warming, now conveniently rechristened "climate change," is perfect for demagoguery. Those advancing the cause won't explain how they will know we have won the global warming fight, let alone what the ideal temperature is supposed to be.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by whaaa

geez, I can't believe you bought into it as well

Show me some credentials bubba, and perhaps I'll change my mind.

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Still being in school, I can attest to the fact that they really are trying top push this global warming down our throats. Ive been shown an Inconvenient Truth I think about three times now. Don't think I made it all the way through more than once without falling asleep.

That being said, I do believe in global warming seeing as how the globe is indeed getting hotter. Before you jump on me though, I don't believe in human-caused global warming. Due to the Earths natural cycles it seems to me like it would be very difficult to come up with satisfying evidence that humans are causing the increase in temperature. Not to mention the conflicting theories, "facts", and statistics that are thrown about meaninglessly.

There can be only one "truth" and chances are it will be a bit before we can tell if we as humans are truely having an effect on the environment. In the meantime, show the kids the other side of the argument so they get a non-biased view of the issue instead of only seeing one side.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Since it's early in this thread I want to say (and then I'll back off - because I know where this will end up)

This article should emphatically raise alarm bells for two reasons:

1) Regardless of your position on 'Global Warming/cooling/climate shift' and/or whatever other label you choose to assign it : Propaganda techniques are being employed here, that means that the assertion is not the issue, its the way the assertion is cultivated in the publics' eyes. Such techniques are the harbingers of deceit - self-evident truths require no 'convincing' nor do they involve 'indoctrination' of children. It cannot be dismissed as' "oh well, your just against Al Gore" (heaven forfend!) or some other simplistic retort.

Propaganda is the beginning of brainwashing. Remember how the "Red menace' was sold as the reason for every 'bad' thing in the world? Remember how we HAD to have a Central Bank - to save us from the ravages of inflation and depression? Does anyone recall the Gulf of Tonkin fantasy, or perhaps Pearl Harbor? "In God we Trust" on our money - for who's benefit? ALL THESE WERE PROPAGANDA-DRIVEN MEMES AS WELL.

They are spending billions to convince the world that a 'tax' will save them from Global whatever. Certainly they can be trusted right? Yet for a scientist to dare disagree is 'sooooooo' outrageous. The scientists selling you the government handshake are so reliable, but the one's who disagree are what, hacks?

2) Explain the mentality behind - give us your money and we'll make it so your planet survives. The complaint isn't about resistance to going green, which seems to be the path detractors wish to take. The problem is the notion that the solution is achievable by 'listening to me, Al Gore'. There are too many scientific inconsistencies in the manufactured theory - give it up, this is science - not the popularity contest the Gore-core hopes it will be. If there is a hole in a theory - the theory is no good - that's science. Statistical data does not show reality - it shows possibilities. If you are presented with scientific facts that undermine your theory - it's time to go back to the theory and rework it - not simply throw another couple million into marketing and find more 'endorsers' as if it were a nomination game.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceweasle7
as for brainwashing children for a political stance, i believe that it is wrong, and children should be exposed to equal amounts of both sides of the story. where i live, kids at school stand firmly behind the fact that global warming is real. but they cannot give any reason why they think that.

OMG! Is this not the perfect example?

Yes Daddy Global Warming is bad - I just don't know why.

They are taking away our childrens ability to engage in cognitive thought. They are forcing mob mentality and God forbid your kid dare speak up because you will no doubt be having a parent teacher conference in short order.

Teach them the truth parents. It is all up to you. Get off the sidelines and get in the game.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
A few posters brought up a great point about raising taxes. It is very funny that scientists are being threatened with losing their jobs if they go against global warming. Science and politics should not be mixed together, just like religion and politics. This is just another agenda, with the help of mainstream media to loot people of their hard earned cash. Don't get me wrong, we contribute a lot to smog but global warming is a cycle the Earth goes through.

If we look back through the time line we will actually find that the Earth used to be much warmer then it is today. Now we need to pay legit scientists to figure out the cause is and what the outcome will be instead paying to see a movie that tells us how much problems we cause with our atmosphere.

Not to mention how much Al Gore has made from this movie that was released, and he and his associate companies profit from a problem that we can not solve, well not that we know of yet. In fact Al Gore is not contributing to the solution but he is adding the the problem by using his private jet.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Would it be OK to show our kids this?

www.washingtonpost.com...

Or is this propaganda too?

How bout this? More propaganda?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Why are the polar ice caps melting if it isn't getting warmer.

I'm not blaming global warming on Man, but somethings up. Perhaps it's all the hot air coming out of Washington.

Follow the money bubba - just who owns those publications? Qui Bono? (one-liner)

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Budski's got this covered rather well. The pro-anthropogenic global warming bias in academia and the media is overwhelming and completely disproportional to the amount of proof there is(n't).

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by budski

Could you please share your credentials, and an explanation of how your opinion manages to trump thirty years of research from thousands of other accredited scientists in the fields of climatology and meteorology?

"Thirty years of research from thousands of other accredited AND FUNDED BY THE PROPAGANDIST GOVERNMENT scientists in the fields of climatology and meteorology".

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I dont really care about global warming, I enjoy the hot and humid climate of florida so much I dont even turn on my ac and just leave the back door open (second floor, screened in balcony.

I do believe in sustainable living. Why would it be ok to just dump everything in a landfill and waste energy just because there is no global warming? Why is it ok to toxify the land and our own bodies just because there is no global warming? Why is it ok to become cokmplacent and stay lazy just because there is no global warming?

If anything, those are just bad manners at the very least, and disrespect to that which has beared your life (Planet Earth).

"oh you dont need to recycle its ok, global warming is fake"
"leave the water running and ac on 24/7, global warming is fake"
"who cares if you dump the moor oil down the storm drain, global warming does not exist!"

whether or not global warming is real or not is irrelevant. Living a sustainable lifestyle is not only good for the planet, and probably your health, it probably saves money in most cases, and shows a little respect and gratitude to the land that has been able enough to sustain our life.

Show a little respect and live a sustainable lifestyle. your children will thank you when they dont have to save up to take a clean shower and play in garbage in the future.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there like 2500 ca. scientists in the UN that's been pushing this global warming scam..? And yet there are 20.000 others around the world protesting against it??

How can they ignore something like that....

And why do so many people believe that as long as we; the humanrace, is on this planet, the climate; the planet, and the world won't change...??

And how the hell is a tax gonna save the planet...? I've been watching the politicians in my country; Norway, arguing on TV about these taxes... Just makes me embarresed and sick to watch those politicians trying to explain why we really need those taxes...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Yeah that's not all we're brainwashing children about. When I was in highschool contested the factual accuracy of history text books I was removed from class.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
OK Let us say that Global Warming is not real or that even if it is humans have little to no effect on it.

What would you prefer? That everyone burns electrisity all day and night, all lights on in the house, TV's blairing out in each room even if no one is in there, taps left running, the rain forest and the 1,000,000's of species there wiped out, massive gas guzleing cars pumping out tons apon tons of noxious fumes, factories belowing out noxious fumes with no filters, acid rain pouring onto our homes, children and into our drinking water, massive smog banks over out cities and all the ill health effects that come along with it. Is that really what you would prefer?

Or is it better to teach our kids energy conservation and respect for the natural enviroment, raiseing them in a clean and healthy world filled with many wonderful beutifal and unique species?

[edit on 9/4/2008 by Shinji]

[edit on 9/4/2008 by Shinji]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shinji
OK Let us say that Global Warming is not real or that even if it is humans have little to know effect on it.

What would you prefer? That everyone burns electrisity all day and night, all lights on in the house, TV's blairing out in each room even if no one is in there, taps left running, the rain forest and the 1,000,000's of species there wiped out, massive gas guzleing cars pumping out tons apon tons of noxious fumes, factories belowing out noxious fumes with no filters, acid rain pouring onto our homes, children and into our drinking water, massive smog bangs over out cities and all the ill health effects that come along with it. Is that really what you would prefer?

Or is it better to teach our kids energy conservation and respect for the natural enviroment, raiseing them in a clean and healthy world filled with many wonderful beutifal and unique species?

Thats wonderful! Could we possibly do this without imposing yet another illegal tax?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
A Timely and relavant topic !. I was just discussing this with a group of teachers today ! I have been a teacher and teacher Educator in NZ for 15 years and am very alarmed at the presentation of this information as "consensus reality" with little or no debate in many NZ schools.

Unfortunatly the school I was working at last year was 1 of those schools.
It had some very pro anthropomorphic GW supporters who were hell bent on hearding us through endless screenings of Inconvienient Truth.

I was not at all happy about this and discussed it with my class
in the spirit of free thinking. Management stated we were "not allowed" to skip the screening so I decided to try and "balance" the situation by showing them"The great global warming swindel" (yeah I know it has errors too) but I was trying to make a point with the students and get them to snap out of their unquestioning haze. So a little counter propoganda got the ball rolling.

This set up some healthy cognitive disonance and really got some great student questions flowing, not just about GW, but the role of the media, global politics and "why is our school doing this so unquestioningly ?(student questions)

I encouraged the students to talk to their parents about the issue and for them to seek their own consensus ,as I would any other issue presented in the in the classroom.

Im sure there are many other teachers worldwide and in the US who would do there small part to counter this kind of educational quackery

Unfortunatly outdated pedagogies , Industralised curriculums, Standards based testing and a general lack of money in Education conspire to produce students (And sadly some teachers !) who lack the Intellectual motivation or bravery to Question what is presented to them as Fact.

Some of the other teachers eyes just seem to glaze over when I ask them about the validity of Man made GW and why they belive in it. They just belive-cause it's in the MSM !

Finally I would state that despite my actons, Idon't have a definitive position yet on man made global warming because I don't have enough valid information to form a solid position, I just belive that students need to be encouraged to question and explore and be aware of the sometimes political nature of some of the arguments they will be presented with in their lives.

I will however be marching in the streets, if our country introduces a Carbon tax without SOLID evidence of the role carbon plays ,if any ! lol

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
A Timely and relavant topic !. I was just discussing this with a group of teachers today ! I have been a teacher and teacher Educator in NZ for 15 years and am very alarmed at the presentation of this information as "consensus reality" with little or no debate in many NZ schools.

Unfortunatly the school I was working at last year was 1 of those schools.
It had some very pro anthropomorphic GW supporters who were hell bent on hearding us through endless screenings of Inconvienient Truth.

I was not at all happy about this and discussed it with my class
in the spirit of free thinking. Management stated we were "not allowed" to skip the screening so I decided to try and "balance" the situation by showing them"The great global warming swindel" (yeah I know it has errors too) but I was trying to make a point with the students and get them to snap out of their unquestioning haze. So a little counter propoganda got the ball rolling.

This set up some healthy cognitive disonance and really got some great student questions flowing, not just about GW, but the role of the media, global politics and "why is our school doing this so unquestioningly ?(student questions)

I encouraged the students to talk to their parents about the issue and for them to seek their own consensus ,as I would any other issue presented in the in the classroom.

Im sure there are many other teachers worldwide and in the US who would do there small part to counter this kind of educational quackery.

Unfortunatly outdated pedagogies , Industralised curriculums, Standards based testing and a general lack of money in Education conspire to produce students (And sadly some teachers !) who lack the Intellectual motivation or bravery to Question what is presented to them as Fact.

Some of the other teachers eyes just seem to glaze over when I ask them about the validity of Man made GW and why they belive in it. They just belive-cause it's in the MSM !

I should state that despite my actons, Idon't have a definitive position yet on man made global warming because I don't have enough valid information to form a solid position, I just belive that students need to be encouraged to question and explore and be aware of the sometimes political nature of some of the arguments they will be presented with in their lives.

This of course means students must also be encouraged to question Me or any authority figure who wants them to act in a perscribed manner.

I

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:53 AM
link   
What? Which planet are you from? If you (and your children) are being "brainwashed" by being told Global Warming is man made and dangerous, what is the harm? Taxes are beeing raised for no reason anyways. If it isn't this, there's something else. In my country, the taxes hasn't gone up since the "Global Warming" fuzz started! We've just become more aware of things we can do to save energy and pollute less! And I don't see anything negative about that! I know that Al Gores' documentary isn't all fact, but that is besides the point! Like any other documentary he's just trying to make people aware of a problem that has been there for years, but have never been taken seriously! Many have tried to warn us for years, but after Gores' film, it's been taken seriously! And that is why he won the Nobels Peace Price!

I find it pretty obvious that people are polluting the earth, and that if we don't stop, there will be consequences! Are you denying all that?? Can you honestly say that when a factory is pumping out black smoke every single minute since it was built, it doesn't have any impact on the environment??

What I've read is that the Bush administration didn't want to use money on fighting global warming, so they (and many other countries' government) paid off scientist to deny that global warming exsist. That was quickly discovered by european media, but the Bush administation denyed it as usual. I'm not suprised if US citizens are not aware of this, because you/they Do in fact live in a brainwashed country with government owned media! But that is for another thread!

I know this will raise some eyebrows, but:
In my opinion, everyone that believes that global warming ISN'T man made are afraid of taking responsibility of their own actions! What or who are you blaming it on, because you can't deny that the weather is changing and that the polar ice is melting! IT IS A FACT! Go to the artic and see for yourself!

Sorry! Got a little carried away!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join