It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK sword ban becomes law

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
What are we suppose to use? Harsh language?

Pretty soon, it will be mandatory for British citizens to curl into a fetal position when they are assaulted by a criminal.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by guppy]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
This law sucks-bigtime.

It collectively bans any and all curved blades over 50cm long.

While,wait for it....not banning any straight bladed swords of any type or length.
So I can still go out and buy say a carbon steel,razor sharp ninja sword-as long as its straight.

Because as we all know-it would be impossible for anyone to be harmed by a straight blade.

SO any curved long blade-including pirate style swords and many others are now illegel to buy hire or sell here in the UK.

The law says nothing about those who own a sword prior to the ban-as long as you do not sell,lend or rent the blade you can still own it.

BTW it has been an offence to carry a sword in public for a long while here.
I think its similar to air guns-you must only carry/transport them in a case,and not on display in public.

Here is the actual government document explaining the law changes:

www.opsi.gov.uk...

There is talk on sword forums that the UK gov will extend the ban to include ALL swords by october 08,although i have nothing concrete on that,but it would not surprise me.

I think this move by the Gov is possibly one of the most idiotic ideas they have yet had--I mean knife crime is huge in the UK,where as I can only remember 4 or 5 incidents of crimes involving proper swords over the last 10 years or so.

In my experience people who own swords do so for non violent reasons,such as artistic merit or historical value.

Just because a tiny minority may abuse swords does not in my opinion mean that they should be banned.
I mean MY GOD...more people use their cars as a deadly weapon to kill and maim others---Shall we ask our beloved Gov to ban them next?

The main reasons this pisses me off is it is more of the gov deciding what is right for all of us-without any consultation with the public.And because the law covers those who make blades as well-like my friend who is a traditional blacksmith.
I think he should still be allowed to make such traditional items as swords.
Being a fan of archery I also worry that in the future will bows and arrows be the next in line for being banned?
Then what?

Plastic cutlery anyone?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Get a grip Brits: An armed society is a polite society.

If you are using the USA as the proof behind that statement, then you are clearly wrong.

The United States is not a "Society", if you have to carry a gun to feel safe walking down the street then you are basically just a bunch of seperate groups or tribes forced to live near each other...

Anyway its only these "samurai swords", nothing stopping you getting a good Claymore!

I dont know if theyre banned in Scotland yet (Remember, its not a UK ban its "England and Wales"
, however there was talk of "banning" swords here a couple of years ago:

Exemptions to the ban on sword sales include swords that are to be used for Highland dancing, museum displays, historical re-enactments, fencing and martial arts.

Source: BBC

That basically covers everything you would need a sword for...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dawa

dawa, so you are saying if society's outlaw people from carrying guns, knives, swords, and wifflebats, crime will be nonexistent?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Next they are going to ban my hands. That way I won't be allowed to kill anyone with my hands.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Why bother to ban any items? I mean, if they would just ban murder it would solve the issue of murder if bans work so well. Oh, wait. There is a ban on murder.

Bans are idiotic and anybody who supports a ban believing they are somehow better off because of it is no less idiotic than the ban itself.

If somebody out there with murderous intentions is deterred only by a law that says "murder bad" then you have far greater problems to worry about. Consequently, can anybody show me a murder that has been prevented by murder being illegal? How about a shooting that a gun ban stopped? Maybe a ninja-esque slashing prevented by a sword ban? How about a drug user who stopped using because of the drugs legal status? Maybe a rape or assault prevented by a restraining order?

Anybody? Anybody?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Guys,

You're missing the big picture. Each time a weapons legislation appears crimes using them soar. You can find the statistics on Wikipedia. You migth also want to try nationalstatisticsonline. These are from the UK too.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by amanbuthimself
Guys,

You're missing the big picture. Each time a weapons legislation appears crimes using them soar. You can find the statistics on Wikipedia. You migth also want to try nationalstatisticsonline. These are from the UK too.

They think it's cool to have illegal things. Do you think that's why?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by amanbuthimself
Guys,

They think it's cool to have illegal things. Do you think that's why?

No, its because they have illegalized ownership of those items, which by default increases the number of people considered criminals in the eyes of the law.

For example, after the handgun ban there was a Church of England reverend who didnt turn in his handgun and was charged with firearms violations.

Statistics are meaningless when it comes to crime. Either the stats are good, which means the police is doing a bad job of catching the criminals; or the stats are bad, which means the police are doing a good job.

Damned if you will, damned if you dont situation.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Man o' man you british peeps got something big coming if your government wont trust you with swords. I forget.. Is your country a dictatorship or a communist state? Because your sure not free people. Over the years I have seen the british government push its citizens around left and right and all they do is take it and smile. Seriously now.. when is the last time a british citizen was murdered with a sword? I think your government is trying to take away any and all means of self defense so as part of their master plan.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Hey I understand perfectly well.

I mean we ban knives, guns & sharp objects in our prisons here in the U.S. Yeah, that's it lets turn the whole world into a prison and we'll all be real safe and happy knowing only the chosen class can carry weapons the rest of you are slavers. As long as you perform your duties we'll continue to feed you on a regular schedule. Blah blah blah.

Now I know why we told your King to F Off way back when.

Must be a nice place to live there in your prison land, err I mean UK prison state.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
As someone tried to counter my argument (whilst making the situation neutral) I will kindly respond. The police don't target those with weapons. The statistics are crimes using the weapon(s) regarding the legislation, not possession. With that also comes sentences and increased statistics in ownership but these are on crime with a weapon.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear on those statistics.

As someone said earlier, it is like a prison. I mean... the bigger picture is clear now. Why don't we build more prisons in the UK?

Is it because we are already living in one?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

And with all the "bans" in prison they still shape toothbrushes, snap bed springs, pull out nails, screws and bolts from the building itself, melt two or more sporks together and still they arm themselves and cut stab and kill their fellow prisoners.

For the gun-grabbers to accomplish e the "no more murder" goal they pretend to have the world would have to be locked down in such a way the prisons would actually be bastions of liberty in comparison.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by tac109

I completely agree with tac109. How do you control a population? Unarm them. That's how a number of martial arts were created because peasants were forbidden to have weapons. Today, it would be much harder for peasants to fight against the select few who do have weapons.

This is why Americans should be worried about the debates on their 2nd Amendment. There would be chaos in many states if firearms were banned and people were required to turn them in.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Tac, the problem is that it isnt our government thats tyrannical in nature... its our fellow citizens (subjects, actually).

The workings of democracy are clearly visible in these governmental bans.
The sequence of events:

1. Isolated incident of violence occurs with a legally owned weapon.
2. Hysterical mothers form hysterical, non-logical groups such as "mothers against sharp cocktail sticks".
3. People are influenced by these groups, who are given an unfairly strong voice in the media.
4. Pro-weapons groups such as the NRA (pathetic compared to the US NRA) are incapable of exercising influence. Logic holds no sway over lawmakers or voters.
5. Sheeple vote in government on the promises of a "safer, disarmed Britain".
6. Weapon violence continues to skyrocket because, somewhat surprisingly (!), criminals dont follow laws.

Lather, rinse, repeat until we are all slaves.

This is a case of democracy being a vile form of governance where the will of 51% is being imposed on the other 49% of the population.

I wouldnt trust my fellow countryman to peel a potato and yet I must trust him to select my government.

The problem here is freedom being curtailed by democracy.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I hate golf, so I have a plan to get it banned. It's simple really, all I need to do is walk into a school, and club a few children to death with a 9 iron. After the mass hysteria in the media, commons debates, and online polls, the sale of golf clubs will be banned. After all, the government banned the ownership of pistols after one incident involving a deranged nutcase and a school. And now due to 80 attacks leading to 6 deaths in the past 5 years, we can no longer buy a sword should we wish to hang it on a wall.

The simple fact is, only the truly stupid and moronic walk around the streets with a sword. They are just too noticable, and with CCTV being everywhere in cities and large towns it won't be long until they are caught. Most people who are intent on carrying a weapon, will be carrying something concealable, or innocuous. Knife/screwdriver in the pocket stays hidden, or alternatively carry a golf club/snooker cue/cricket bat and tell the police your off to practice somewhere. Out of all the violent incidents I've seen, no one has pulled out a katana, but I have seen bricks, bottles, wood, bats, hammers, fire extinguishers, screwdrivers, knives, and other stuff that just happened to be laying around.

Bring on a general election so we can get rid of these muppets.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
First of all, this definitely isn't the end of this sharp object hysteria plaguing the UK. As someone already said, there is word that by October they are planning to ban ALL types of sword, and possibly 'hunting knives' (How do you define a 'hunting knife' without including various common chef's knives used for food preperation?). All this will do is create huge black market value for the banned items, as well as make it hard for collectors who don't have considerably large sums of money to purchase a genuine Japanese sword made over 100 years ago.

I doubt HMRC are going to know the difference between a genuine antique sword being imported or a reproduction. They will most likely confiscate it, have police arrest you, and then fine you up to £5,000 with a possible sentence of six months imprisonment. All because you wanted to own a replica of a sword (In reality, a large letter opener) featured in your favourite film. It seems fake swords are now seen as more deadly than a genuine traditionally folded katana specifically crafted to kill. Keep in mind, they do know all of this but still proceed in order to look like they are doing something with tax payer's money. Remember, the guy down the street who collects swords is an easier target than the murderer lurking the streets.

How about just giving us back the freedom to own swords?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Shame for those who like to practice martial arts. I, for one, have a whopping great sword. I wouldn't say I can barely lift it, but it sure does build up the chi! Scares the willies out of my neighbors. But even the wooden practice sword gets some looks. Oh well. I shall simply cut of their heads if they give me any crap. J/k in case it wasn't obvious.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
rather odd coincidence. out here in the california bay area, a man was just convicted of killing his room mate with a kitana.

where i live, a few months ago, a mentally disturbed man was shot wielding a rapier.

another man was found dead with an arrow in him on the highway.

what are we, back in the middle ages?

have a nice day!

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
For all you poor British citizens who can not even use a sword to protect your home and loved ones, here is your solution until the gov't bans it:

Safe Bedside Table:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join