It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

locaas is the revolution of the missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I like it very much, it can identify the tanks between T-62 and M-60,

may god bless them who want to attack US

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hmm, you didn't leave much room for discussion.

Anyways I'm gonna help you out.

FAS Article

It stands for Low Cost Autonomous Attack System. I'm assuming this is what you're talking about...

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I actually...didn't even know this existed. Thank you for updating me on this - when I first viewed the article I believed it to be just another canceled project but this one seems as if it is not...

Can anyone comment on its vulnerability to ground fire? how about it's signature??

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This thing is so small, it says that a B-2 could deploy 192 LOCAAS.

FAS.org has good information on it, but the information is at the latest, 6 years old. What has become of LOCAAS?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I imagine if this thing can travel at up to 100meters per sec, then it would go through the top armor of any tank...especially if a number of LOCAAS hit one mark at once.

However:

LOCAAS anti-armor penetration

The "eyes" of this futuristic submunition is its LADAR seeker--a laser-radar sensor that provides high-resolution, three-dimensional imagery.

Ok...so what if the enemy simply lumps sum extra parts on their vehicles and changes the way the vehicle looks significantly enough? What if mock ups of US vehicles were made to conceal targets? Also since there are a number of countries in NATO that utilize soviet tech, how this thing gonna tell the difference between a friendly BTR-80 and a hostile one should such a situation arise?

Regards,
Maestro

[edit on 2-4-2008 by maestro46]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I think the information that the LADAR is programmed with will be updated for each specific theater of operations. I don't think they just give it a program and then let it loose on the whole world and hope for the best.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
...let it loose on the whole world and hope for the best.

Wonder how if would identify "soft" targets though. Man this thing really has me interested.

Regards,
Maestro

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is the first time I've read of LADAR too.

This is really interesting, but how come I haven't seen any of it production wise?

Is it in full production and deployment?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Haven't heard about this in a while.

There was an idea to integrate LOCAAS into the AGM-158 JASSM.

The JASSM P-LOCAAS-DM P3I concept integrates powered LOCAAS submunitions with dual mode LADAR and MMW seeker......JASSM will provide the delivery platform for LOCAAS thus increasing the range and operational flexibility of LOCAAS.

The entire article can be found at GlobalSecurity.org

Believe they said each JASSM would be able to hold four. Could be wrong, though.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by maestro46
Ok...so what if the enemy simply lumps sum extra parts on their vehicles and changes the way the vehicle looks significantly enough? What if mock ups of US vehicles were made to conceal targets? Also since there are a number of countries in NATO that utilize soviet tech, how this thing gonna tell the difference between a friendly BTR-80 and a hostile one should such a situation arise?

Well you would assume first they wouldn't be shooting it at friendly forces. Secodly as somone has already said the target profiles can be updated very easily from all types of IMINT. The MMW seeker also can distinguish between dummy targets and real ones.

top topics

join