It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student disciplined after stopping out-of-control school bus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Student disciplined after stopping out-of-control school bus

www.sfgate.com

A 15-year-old girl who stopped her out-of-control school bus was hit with a Saturday detention because she was supposed to be in class when the accident happened.

Marina High School student Amanda Rouse was on a bus with 40 elementary school students Wednesday morning when the driver fell out of her seat after a turn and hit her head.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
She should have gotten an award and not detention.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hey,maybe someone wanted to get rid of those misbehaving kids, and that girl has the nerve to interfere....
Not detention- jail i say,jail.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Only in California...

As they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

A medal? No, they should give the kid about half of the injury settlement that the school would've had to pay to all of the kids who might've otherwise been injured or killed.

That kid saved this school from the lawsuit from hades.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

You not kidding, I would have pulled my child from that school if it was my child. How can parents say, oh well I guess we just have to take her to Saturday school.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is such a big problem with the world today. I'm sure we all see it, at work, at school, anywhere that we deal with positions of authority. If something is not done according to policy or a specific protocol is not followed for good reason, you are still reprimanded regardless of whether it was the right thing to do or not because that is also their policy.

It seems that people are being conditioned to accept whatever is written in black and white over any sort of logic or common sense. This is sad.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
That girl will probably think twice the next time there's an opportunity to help someone. Great way to destroy a kid's self-esteem and trust in authority figures. Good point aboaut the lawsuit, too, but I guess the school didn't take that into account.
This school's kind of thinking is the essence of stupidity.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Any more it seems like the laws aren't meant to help people live, but force people to submit. I think this girl did a great thing, she may have skipped class, but maybe that was her destiny - She was supposed to save those kids?

She wasn't even skipping school, she was ill, ffs.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
OK I'll play devils advocate.

So as long as people do something good while they are breaking the rules its ok?

She was cutting. She should be punished for that.

On the other hand she should ALSO be comended for her actions.

If a Bank Robber stops a mugger on his way out of the bank should we all of a sudden forget he robbed the bank?

[edit on 16-3-2008 by ATruGod]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I knew that was coming, lol. You can play it both ways really. I guess if she called when she got home it would have been o.k. But going through something like that, you don't even think to call. Mind you, she was on the bus going home.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by jhill76]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I read about this and couldn't believe it. As another poster said, will this girl now think twice before trying to help someone again. Not only should she have not been given detention, but an award should've been given.

I have to think, or hope, that the parents in the school will raise a stink about this. Especially the parents of the children on that bus.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
What a sad state of affairs we live in today.
If the Principal of the school had any common sense,he/she could have thanked the girl for her bravery and possibly saving some lives.
He/she then could have reminded the girl about school policy,and under the circumstances,let her off with a warning.
The young lady learns two lessons in one day and the school learns compassion.
Where the hell did common sense go?

Edited for typo

[edit on 16-3-2008 by citizen truth]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by ATruGod

I knew that was coming, lol. You can play it both ways really. I guess if she called when she got home it would have been o.k. But going through something like that, you don't even think to call. Mind you, she was on the bus going home.

[edit on 16-3-2008 by jhill76]

Actually did the bus driver have the right to not drop her off at school and take her back to the bus yard?

Maybe the bus driver should actually be the one in trouble.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

I agree with you to a point, but there's also a concept known as 'common sense' and apparently this school is in short supply. Sure, the kid broke a school rule, but common sense says that it should be overlooked considering that she possibly saved the others from injury or even death.

As it stands, the school is sending the message that they don't care whether or not you do what is morally right, just as long as you follow the rules. Punishing this kid for 'skipping' class (even though she was ill) is the height of idiocy under the circumstances and sends a terrible message to this student and the school in general, IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by InSanE1

I completely agree - as long as you are doing something good. Too many laws, when you really only need 1 - The golden rule.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Really doesn't say in the article. But, makes a good point. I think a bus driver can only pick up and drop off and not make a discretion on I don't think you look good, you should go home and lay down.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Hey,maybe someone wanted to get rid of those misbehaving kids, and that girl has the nerve to interfere....
Not detention- jail i say,jail.

I like the way you think ZeroKnowledge

Now as for that deviant girl, not only jail, but also a ticket for driving without a license and have her driving priviliges denied until she's 18.

There's only one way to show people like her what we do to those who try to help others.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is a situation in which this 15 year old girl should be excused for failing to call in sick. After all, if it wasnt for her the kids on that bus could possibly be dead right now. The school disctrict should be thankful that they dont have to worry about law suits from parents of injured and dead children.

This girl saved the lives of 40 elemantary school students, not to mention the bus driver and herself. She deserves an award for her brave actions.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
After i reaad the title of the story, i guessed that this kind of sick behaviour, was by some Power Hungary teachers... most likly in....

San FranSicko...

I don't kniow what more cAn be said about this cities polotics and the people that live in it that hasn't been already said...

Lets just file this under all the things insane about San FranPhsyco...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
the issue is children have to be accounted for. If you're sick, the first person that should be notified is the school office, if not your guardian/family, etc. The school is correct in their ruling.

BUT

that saturday detention should be something that isn't really a punishment, maybe a pep rally on her behalf? That way they are correct in their ruling, served the disciplinary action, and are done. Who said that discplinary action has to be a punishment anyway...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join