It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you believe it is possible that you have chosen the wrong religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Well, what do you think? Is it possible that you are serving the wrong God and are completely unaware?

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Attari

IMHO this is more about personality than belief. For example, if you are an obedient child with a religious bent then you are likely to follow the religion of your parents without question. However, if you are deep thinking and your upbringing encourages this type of thinking then you are more likely to choose for yourself. Unfortunately, I think that the choice is more about choosing God or atheism nowadays. Science seems to be running down faith like a juggernaut...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
reply to post by Attari

However, if you are deep thinking and your upbringing encourages this type of thinking then you are more likely to choose for yourself. .

Well i think those are the ones that will either adapt atheism or won't follow a religion.

Even the ones who have been brought up with strong religious backgrounds are starting to move away from religion i.e christians.

I feel that giving people the 'choice' to chose a religion is what's making them not choseing a religion...

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I feel my religion lead me on the right path.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

Whats your religion if you don't mind me asking?

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. (John 14:6)

I know that makes peoples nose ruffle, but the reason I believe I haven’t chosen the wrong path is based upon the fact of the above scripture. You have to ask, “How is it, that a man could make such a bold claim, as Jesus did?”

Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.(II Corinthians 5:18-19)

The reason Jesus could be as bold as He was, and the reason I believe I haven’t chosen the wrong belief stems from the fact that in no other religion will you find God IN another individual, RECONCILING the entire world back to Himself.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
if you use this chart...

List of religions

Then there are 40 to choose from (not including all the crazies and the funky off shoots), chances are we've all got it wrong.

Ho Hum Pigs Bum...

We'll all find out one day I suppose?

MonKey

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Unfortunately, I think that the choice is more about choosing God or atheism nowadays. Science seems to be running down faith like a juggernaut...

Hope you're well, hero!

I think the two might be related. Thus, when kids are strongly indoctrinated, then make their way into the open world, they will either tend to stay with the faith of their original community or lose the faith altogether. That's not to say that some don't find other faiths. But I'm sure the vast majority stay in the faith they were indoctrinated in. You know what they say about a child before seven. Why do you think Xians in the US are big on homeschooling

I feel once strongly indoctrinated people start to question their faith in the developed world, they will tend to become atheist and agnostic. And even take on one of the new-agey types. For example, what will happen to these children?:

In my opinion, the strong indoctrination will either lead little Samual into Haggard-land or to be an atheist. 'Worms that eat your flesh up'? Can you ever see him being a muslim or buddhist?

[edit on 1-3-2008 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You know, I think that's beautiful.
My child at 7 years old told his classmates that they were not going to heaven if they didn't love Jesus.
He got in trouble and I got a phone call from school. I wondered what was going on, We hadn't pushed our children to evangelize. Then, I was FURIOUS that he couldn't have free speech, so When I got to school, I was ready for a 'good' talking.
Well, I found out that the ONLY reason he got in trouble because he did it during schoolwork and wouldn't quit.

Mel, did you know Al Sharpton preached his first time at 7 or 9 years old?
Many of the Albiguenses(I think it was)
were holed up in caves away from society and death from the pope. Even so. their young children(around 12) would risk their lives, without their parents telling them to) by going into the cities and preaching!
They couldn't keep the news to themselves!

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Attari
reply to post by ben91069

Whats your religion if you don't mind me asking?

It was Christianity. Now it's just something else. I don't want to even label it, but religion was just a stepping stone to bigger and better things. If it weren't for that religion, I would have not had the perspective I have on things.

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
You know, I think that's beautiful.
My child at 7 years old told his classmates that they were not going to heaven if they didn't love Jesus.

Aye, some people like to create little fundiebots, rather than allowing a child to grow to know their own mind.

I know a few adults online who went though such an intense fundie homeschooled indoctrination, and they hate their parents for it. Brainwashing a child isn't something to be proud of. But it's all in the service of jay-sus, and almost anything can be justified to this end.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

I have words to say to you my friend Is it hard to know what’s right from wrong Have you ever felt your life so self assured You don’t know the things that you’ve done wrong And then we’ll say We’ll rip out our covers Shake the walls until they break I’ll hold out my hand to you Supreme love and respect Peace man At first it seems so daunting How to start or how to grow But make believe becomes a living Cuz in life, in life you will know

Jeremiah 6:16

16 This is what the LORD says:
"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls.
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'

Isaiah 34:16

16 Look in the scroll of the LORD and read:
None of these will be missing,
not one will lack her mate.
For it is his mouth that has given the order,
and his Spirit will gather them together.

1 Timothy 3:15-16

15but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.

16By common confession, great is the mystery of godliness:

He who was revealed in the flesh,
Was vindicated in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Proclaimed among the nations,
Believed on in the world,
Taken up in glory.

1 Timothy 3:15-16

15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work

I hope you all like this one (^^,)

Can’t believe how you set me free
The way you purify this soul don’t you know
Got you into my arms now I’m never letting go
This old dog is finally home… finally home… GO!

Friend or foe you come to me
Wasn’t sure how deep a hole I was getting into
Yet I choose to wake up every mornin with a smile on my face
Or see life for what it is one big fat race… GO!

[edit on 10-3-2008 by johnb1]

posted on Mar, 11 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Well, chances are that I have the best chances of being on the right path, or at least I think so. I say this because I take what I believe are the core tenets from every religion, and put them together. It seems to work well, when I think seriously about it. If ever there's a doubt about what I think, just remember what my name here is, and all should make sense. There's a reason why I chose this name, after all...

To me, there's no stronger religion than the one that can adapt to all others. However, I don't think that what I believe is really grounds for another Christian denomination; merely the passage of knowledge will suffice. I detest organized religion in all of it's facets and belief systems. Everyone always claiming they have the ONLY way to everlasting happiness, and then fighting over it.

Quite honestly, I can't understand why anyone cares what another chooses to believe. So long as they're happy with their choice, then I'm happy; just don't try to force me to believe the same thing, and we'll be good.

Sorry about the rant there. I tend to run off on pig-trails when I start into this...

I digress.

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have a pretty simple religion.
It helps me not worry about beliveing in the wrong god.
It says, if a religion uses murder to inforce its laws, that is the wrong religion.
God will give us understanding about himself, in the next life.
If you want to show your faithfulness to God, be kind to God's other creatures.
The most important thing to know, is that we do not know.
Do not pledge aliegence to a creed, and do not demand anyone else to pledge to a creed.
This is my religion.
It is not something I made up.
It is an actual denomination and has millions of members.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I didn't choose my religion. I was born into it and now I can't get out. Help me! Aaagghh!

Nah: It's not wrong but something I've learned to accept despite my ever-changing views from outdated dogmas of my current religious organization.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
l l l l l l Are you Anglican?
Presbyterian?
????

[edit on 12-3-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If you find that you can't reconcile the teachings or actions of your faith with your own sense of values, then quite possibly you are following something that is not right for you.

It is important to develop your own inner moral compass, in addition to what others tell you is right.

There are many cases of preachers who are later exposed for entirely inconsistent conduct. Of course at the moment we have the Lieutenant Governor of New York doing a Spitzer. Saying one thing and doing another.

That is why you need to develop your own sense of values and measure what you're told against what you've learned from your own experience.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
All religions are equally wrong.

except for the worship of Cthulhu.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

worship of Cthulhu.

So long as Cthulhu stands for what I stand for he, or she can join me anytime he/she likes.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well Cthulhu stands for nothing but violence and malcontent. The worship of him will allow you to be graced to be the first to die by his eternal maddening torment which he inflicts upon others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join