It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right Gets Its Way: 'In God We Trust' Will Have Prominence on New Coin

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

I do agree with that statement, not being a Christian and seeing this does not bother me.. God is a generic word. If it said In Jesus We Trust.. then I would have an issue.

However.....

Those complaining about the "religious right" acting in a theocratic manor to press religion on others (which I doubt anyone really looks at the coins in their pockets..) is it not then the same to say the removal is the suppression of the majorities right to express religion? Two sides. Two evils.. one mans suppression will always favor someone, and I don't consider Atheism to be out of these bounds, they to can suppress the rights of others.

Food for Thought.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Anyone ever thought about maybe "In God We Trust" isn't a reference to the Diety, but to the medium that bears the quote. How many people worship money more than God?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Well, that is about as good as "In God We Trust" if God is even listening in the first place. Perhaps it should be "In Jesus We Trust" then perhaps the rest of the world would think of having "In Allah We Trust" because then the world perhaps could see how it actually may mean "In the Devil We Trust" because perhaps some people are just getting all of it mixed up, as well as not really knowing what they are doing and who they are praying to. Perhaps it should be something else like "In Our ForeFathers We Trust", "They Started This Nation" or something else perhaps like "We Like To Believe In God but We Are Not Sure", maybe perhaps something else, perhaps like "In The Ethics We Trust". Well, I guess we-we can not have everything in life.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23
I can't believe they even made a fuss about this.

I can't believe YOU'RE making this big a fuss about it.

And besides, there are some of the George Washington coins floating around out there that don't have "In God We Trust" written on them. I know; I've got two of them.

Originally posted by undo
More than likely (considering the official symbols are masonic

No, they're not.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To Caesar What Is Caesar's
To God What Is God's
-Jesus

If pushing to have God associated with Money is their main priority, then what Christ are they following?

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If you know me and read my threads Im not a religious person but you have to understand this nation was founded with judeo/christian values. It shouldnt offend you any more than having god in the pledge of alegance. If you dont like or want any religion theres always the netherlands. Like others have said its not like they put jesus. Jews, Christians, Muslims, they all believe in god.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You just don't get it do you? I am not anti-religious. I am not religious myself. How do you get anti-religion out of that. I could care less about who or what you or anyone else believes in. What I do care about is when people try to stuff their own beliefs, as you do, down everyone else's throats. Especially if they do not agree with you. You go against everything religion supposedly stands for when you bash others not in your train of thought. I am perfectly at ease with my morality. You seem to always jump to assumptions. Why is it you always repeat the same thing and when you are called on it, you run or continue to say the same thing over and over. And yes, you were banned form posting in the thread for a bit, no? You contributed a lot of the same thing over and over again in that thread and when challenged to a debate you ran and hid. All you do is bash instead of trying to help people understand your POV in a civil manner. Maybe your moral compass isn't pointing to true North. Now I bet you will post a reply quoting me sentence by sentence with childish rebutle as you have in the past. But that's ok, cause Jesus still loves you.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Palehorse, please take a breather and return to the topic of the thread.

If you think 'In God We Trust' is a big issue, that it is somehow offensive or ridiculous, so be it. The majority of adults are capable of allowing brief gestures of theism once in a while, and we don't think it's anything to get emotional about.

If you find yourself continually creating threads about what the 'christian right' is doing than I have to question your motive, and saying 'anti-religious' seems valid at this point. There is no reason to bring up anti-christian topics on a conspiracy theory website. As you can see, this topic was not about a conspiracy, but about your distaste for the 'christian right'.

This seems like a political issue, no? Just like the earlier thread about the jesus penis seemed more like a political gesture than about art. It's all anti-religious hoo-hah

Have a nice day

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

You just don't get it do you? I am not anti-religious. I am not religious myself. How do you get anti-religion out of that. I could care less about who or what you or anyone else believes in. What I do care about is when people try to stuff their own beliefs, as you do, down everyone else's throats.

Umm ... you're the one who started the thread, and you're the one who is trying to stuff your belief system down everyone else's throats.

You go against everything religion supposedly stands for when you bash others not in your train of thought. I am perfectly at ease with my morality. You seem to always jump to assumptions. Why is it you always repeat the same thing and when you are called on it, you run or continue to say the same thing over and over. And yes, you were banned form posting in the thread for a bit, no? You contributed a lot of the same thing over and over again in that thread and when challenged to a debate you ran and hid. All you do is bash instead of trying to help people understand your POV in a civil manner. Maybe your moral compass isn't pointing to true North. Now I bet you will post a reply quoting me sentence by sentence with childish rebutle as you have in the past.

From what I'm reading in your post ... you're the one who is bashing someone else in this thread.

Not sure why you're doing that. You're the one who started the thread. The majority of the responses to it have been "who cares?"

So let it go.

Your pal,
Meat.

Mod note: Personal attacks are not allowed. Please review these links:
Terms & Conditions Of Use.
General ATS Discussion Etiquette.

[edit on 3/2/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by NewWorldOver

Responding to complaints from the Religious Right, Congress has passed legislation mandating that the phrase "In God We Trust" be moved from the edge to the back or front of the new presidential dollar coins. President George W. Bush signed the measure into law Dec. 26. It was tucked into a $555 billion domestic spending bill after having been pushed by U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.). Brownback and other Religious Right conservatives have been complaining about the new coins since the series started last year.

to all who believe I am the one making a big deal out of this story: As the original article states above, the religious right has been making an issue out of this since last year. I would tend to be a bit more forgiving if the whole slogan was omitted from the coin. Then a valid argument could be made. But because the motto is on the side and not the front or back? C'mon. At least it is still on the coins. Who cares where it is. As stated before, many do not even look at their coins.
Another point to make is the fact that this, as many other things admitted by Bush in his SOTU address, have been snuck into other bills. That, ultimately is what continues to piss me off as I am sure this is the case with others. So to say I and Atheists are the ones making this a big issue, IMO, is not a true assessment of the situation.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

to all who believe I am the one making a big deal out of this story: As the original article states above, the religious right has been making an issue out of this since last year. I would tend to be a bit more forgiving if the whole slogan was omitted from the coin. Then a valid argument could be made. But because the motto is on the side and not the front or back? C'mon. At least it is still on the coins. Who cares where it is. As stated before, many do not even look at their coins.
Another point to make is the fact that this, as many other things admitted by Bush in his SOTU address, have been snuck into other bills. That, ultimately is what continues to piss me off as I am sure this is the case with others. So to say I and Atheists are the ones making this a big issue, IMO, is not a true assessment of the situation.

Actually, you ARE making a big deal out of this. And you seem to be jumping on everyone.

Let it go.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

Is that all your brain can come up with mmmeat? you should try and bring something interesting and intelligent to a thread every once in awhile, then maybe someone would take you seriously. So go ahead and say in your next post:
"Why don't you bring something intelligent to a thread then maybe someone will take you seriously.

your pal,
palehorse23

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Is that all your brain can come up with mmmeat? you should try and bring something interesting and intelligent to a thread every once in awhile, then maybe someone would take you seriously. So go ahead and say in your next post:
"Why don't you bring something intelligent to a thread then maybe someone will take you seriously.

As I've said before: you're the one who keeps attacking people on this thread. Obviously, the members who have responded here aren't as anti-God as you are. I'm sorry that that makes you so angry. I hope you get help.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

Please refer to this thread. It may give you good info.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Unfortunately, I do not think good info or debate is why you are on this site though.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

I hope your not refering to me I didnt bash anyone I just stated the truth. This nation was founded on religious foundations. Do I think they need to be pushed on everyone no but that does not mean we deny and try to eliminate it from our system.

[edit on 3-2-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Hey Palehorse..

I believe the issue here is seperation of church and state. Correct? Thing is after much study "God" doesnt have to relate to religion at all. I stay as far away from any religious representations as I can but many disgruntled former followers of any given religion are much happier considering God to be a philosophy.

BUT...I will admit that the religious slogans on our money let alone everything else is very much pushed by Christians throughout history. Interpret it as you may and thats fine but the original intent behind the slogan is and has been very much to push the Christian god on everyone else.

Im an avid coin collector but I really dont mind it because I believe it adds artisticly to the coin as long as its well done.

Pick up any "Red Book" on coins. They come out yearly and are very well done and include complete histories on US coinage.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Strapping Young Lad

that is one of the issues. Another is that it comes from continued pressure from Religious Right wingers. Not that all right wing advocates are religious.
As a collector, would you feel any different if the slogan was on the side of the coin rather than the front or back? That is what I find so ridiculous about Brownback's argument. As I stated, as long as it is on there, what is the difference? Should such a stink have been made by him? And if this stink had been made by a Democrat, I would have posted the article just the same. Just to let everyone know that.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't understand. All the other coins have "In God We Trust" on the front. Why not this one?

If you don't believe in God, fine. The fact is, other money is like this, so why change?

Some of you people will do ANYTHING to bash religion

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ChocoTaco369

The problem is that you have people on the religious side that are almost extremist and give religion a bad name. A lot of them happen to be on the right wing of politics and a lot of these people are the leaders of our country. They do things that don't make since. And so does the left side for that matter. This is why, IMO, people tend to as you say "bash" religion when it comes to government. People get heated up when the two are mixed. I wouldn't call it bashing the religion as a whole, but more so bashing the way it is represented in government. There are though, out there, people who are very anti-religion. As some on ATS think I am. But, I do not considered myself anti-religion, I just am a person who questions things when people tell me what I have to believe. Whether it is religion, politics, sports, etc. What is more sad, is that people cannot refrain from insisting on pushing buttons instead of having decent conversation.

[edit on 2/3/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What do you want on the coin? In Bush we trust, or the next pres? --------PC

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join