It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right Gets Its Way: 'In God We Trust' Will Have Prominence on New Coin

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

An yes, the "We don't necessarily mean OUR god *wink wink nudge nudge*" defense. Do Christians really think the rest of us are so stupid as to think when you're pushing God into government, you mean Vishnu, too?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Have you ever heard Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger's rendition of "Old Time Religion"? Its off their live album "Precious Friend" and it is a hoot. They evoke Praying to Aphrodite, Vishnu, the Druids, the ancient Egyptians etc. It would send these funnymentalists into fits.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Originally posted by Conspiriology

Actually,, it is the obsession or love of money,, that is the root of all evil.

- Con

Exactly!!!
1 Timothy 6:10
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

Why do we so frequently hear this passage misquoted?
Please, remember this, people for next time.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

What a joke. I guess the righties will take any victory than can get nowadays. I can't believe they even made a fuss about this. they are lucky that a bigger deal isn't made of the fact that "In God We Trust" is allowed to be on coins. As we all know, not everyone trusts in God. How can we preach freedom of religion, yet our form of currency is plastered with this slogan. I guess when the elites play a role in what is on currency, you have no choice. Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Its better than "In george We Trust" being on the coin

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Its a kick in the shins for anyone who is smart enough to realize that government and religion should be separate but I'm not concerned. Next time the coin needs to be redesigned, in god we trust is going to be omitted. The Christian population is going down rapidly, and name one other religion that calls their god "god"....thats right. Also as long as they don't get a retard president, (hopefully they'll get Ron Paul, or the Foreman from house (don't know his name) it might only be a rumor but apparently he's running for president as independent) The US might even survive till next year

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

First of all, thsat's just stupid to say that.

But really? WE?.... WE?
It's called the Majority.

How about what 80% of WE say?
Not how about what 20% of WE say...

If there were 100 people in a town voting for the color of the post office and 80 said "Brown" and 20 said "red" would you say the same thing?

Just another example of, if you want to use the post office, what WE say goes.

The religious "right" (by the way.. where is the religious "left"?) represents 80% of the country. Go ahead, ask 10 of people you do not know if they believe in GOD or approve of "In God we trust" on a coin and you'll see some truth. That YOU are in the minority (me too) and yes, you need to deal with it, it is how it works.

Otherwise we would have a cluster F*** in dealing with everything imaginable.

and don't go sprouting on about how we need to be neutral and that'll make everyone happy, because it is bull, it'll just make the 20% happy.

Please with the B.S. talk ok? use your brain.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Because you know, American law is totally based on "winner takes all"
Funny how that standard applies when it's something in favor of the corpse-stick worshipers, but when it comes to evolution in schools or reproductive rights, they suddenly feel their minority opinion needs protection.

You, sir, are depriving a lion somewhere of a meal.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i really don't care what they put on coins. i want someone to fix the
american economy. my relationship is between me and god. the hell
with humans!!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Did you read? First off, do not call anyone stupid, that makes you sound just as stupid. Second, THE ISSUE ISN'T WHETHER WE ARE OK WITH THE SLOGAN. I don't care what is on the coin or if Jesus has a huge erection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Religious folk get over your holier than thou attitudes!!!!!!!!Not everyone worships your deity!!!!! It is the fact that this is even in legislation by Brownback that the motto has to be on the front or back and not the side. *SIGH* Please, stop the B.S. posting.

[edit on 2/6/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Jeshua was raised FROM the dead, thereby making him a non-corpse(and behold he is alive for evermore!)

Also, What are you meaning about Lions?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
It's "Freedom OF Religion" NOT "Freedom FROM Religion" there is a difference but some of you are trying to confuse the issue by telling the nasty Religious Right to keep their Christian God to themselves.

No one can argue that this country was founded on Religious beliefs, namely Christianity. If you don't believe in God [Christian or otherwise] then that is your choice, but you can't expect people to ok with eradicating this country's belief in God and/or Religion just cuz you don't believe/like it.

BTW, It's been already mentioned and I agree, what about the Religious Left?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Jeshua was raised FROM the dead, thereby making him a non-corpse(and behold he is alive for evermore!)

Also, What are you meaning about Lions?

It meant that he is lion food! I thought it was a quite funny comment, albeit inappropriate. Are you all getting sufficiently mad at each other yet?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nailer

What a joke. I guess the righties will take any victory than can get nowadays. I can't believe they even made a fuss about this. they are lucky that a bigger deal isn't made of the fact that "In God We Trust" is allowed to be on coins. As we all know, not everyone trusts in God. How can we preach freedom of religion, yet our form of currency is plastered with this slogan. I guess when the elites play a role in what is on currency, you have no choice. Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

Its better than "In george We Trust" being on the coin

And what if In George We Trust were on the coin? Then what? Then people might actually point to this as BS as opposed to saying only atheists care 'bout this. Why is the second the gov does anything subversive a million people can see through it on this forum, yet when some religious nut says the world is going to end we ask "how?" Mabye the fed isnt the only monster in the closet, maybe the fundamentalists and their science clouding, mind rot, religious dribble is also a bad thing. So while you are all arguing over whether "god","God",or "gods" is the most general, I'm going to have to say they are all generally subverting the way we think by setting a precedence , lowering the bar, starting a trend, and creating norm.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Maybe that's why the dollar keeps getting devalued, because many are trying to remove God from everything and everywhere.

If people don't want the word "God" on their bills and coins, I'll take it off their hands.

so what that a nice number of people don't want a "piece-of-# that-means-nothing-other-than-empty-words-even-to-most-christians" slogan on our money?

I'm a taxpayer as well and I don't feel that the religious right speaks for me, so why should they have so much influence on what goes on the paper and coin that I work hard to earn?

As it stands, most "Christians" aren't devout - they're the "twice a year Christians" (Easter and Christmas) - for lack of caring about their faith, and also as just putting down whatever their parents raised them as, so the data is *a bit* skewed on the religious majority of the country, I'm sure of that much.

Just look at other religions, such as Islam. Other than in places such as the bible belt of the US, you'd be hard pressed to find Christians who are as dedicated to Jesus as Muslims are to Allah, and from my knowledge, most Muslims are devout.

Anyways, back to the money - why hasn't a religious movement started over the fact that all the letters in the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" all in caps? It's pretty much a very circumventing way of giving everyone what they want (except the atheists) by not specifying WHOSE god we're talking about. I'm sure if the religious right wasn't busy reveling in winning the small potatoes battles like getting a # motto like "IN GOD WE TRUST" all over OUR money, they'd maybe realize how ridiculous that argument is given that in CAPS the statement holds no water.

Gah, what a stupid motto.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by acid22burn

If someone brings up something the "Religious Left" has done that you do not like, we'll talk about it. Start a new thread. find an article that you disagree with. Pretty simple. People ask what about them but do not produce anything. We need the topic to be more specific than"What about them?" What are you guys getting at when you ask this? Either side, Left or Right, shouldn't mix religion and politics, period. Unfortunately, it has become a mainstream part of our political system.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
America: Reversing the advancement of modern society since 1776.

Putting God back in your money isn't going to get him to give you the 9 trillion dollars you need to get out of debt.

Muslims pray to their God a lot more.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
America: Reversing the advancement of modern society since 1776.

Putting God back in your money isn't going to get him to give you the 9 trillion dollars you need to get out of debt.

Muslims pray to their God a lot more.

9 trillion is pocket change. We can just print more money and we should be okay right? Orrrrrrrr, we can just give everyone a bunch of money for nothing and they will spend it all foolishly and pump it right back into the system. We are on our way to RIGHTING the ship!!!!!!!LOL

[edit on 2/6/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

I'm asking- what about the "Religious Left"? We always hear about the "Religious Right" but I don't hear much, if anything about the left. I think that there is such a thing as a Religious person who is also liberal. It just seems to me that if someone says "Religious" and speaks about a person or group, they are always called "right" as in conservative [not right vs wrong].

A good portion of my family is both religious and liberal. Where I personally tend to lean conservative. But just as Chris Rock says; 'I'm conservative in crime and liberal on prostitution'.

But seriously, no matter what side of an issue you're on there's always a segment of that side who want to force their opinion on you and that always sucks. I don't want ANYONE coming into my house and trying to rearrange my house just cuz they think their idea is better. I believe in free will. Make up your own mind.

"In God We Trust" on money isn't physically hurting anyone! It's our country's tradition, so we should keep it.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

But seriously, no matter what side of an issue you're on there's always a segment of that side who want to force their opinion on you and that always sucks. I don't want ANYONE coming into my house and trying to rearrange my house just cuz they think their idea is better. I believe in free will. Make up your own mind.

This is exactly right acid. Both sides do try and push their opinions on you. that is how they get elected. Free will is the only way to go. You have to be able to at least see both sides of the argument. You never hear about the religious Left, IMO, because they do not make an issue of a slogan being on the side of a coin versus being on the front or back. If someone can find something as crazy as this argument by Brownback, I would love to read it. And I would feel just the same if it was Obama or Clinton, or any other politician. I just haven't seen any lefty bring something like this to the table. Maybe it has happened, and as I say, to me it would be just as ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Then for his sake, get the poor guy down already!

Unfortunately, as I find it impossible to accept Jesus' divinity, you are kind of worshiping a dead man. Sorry.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join