It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right Gets Its Way: 'In God We Trust' Will Have Prominence on New Coin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Christian Right Gets Its Way: 'In God We Trust' Will Have Prominence on New Coin

www.alternet.org

Responding to complaints from the Religious Right, Congress has passed legislation mandating that the phrase "In God We Trust" be moved from the edge to the back or front of the new presidential dollar coins.
President George W. Bush signed the measure into law Dec. 26. It was tucked into a $555 billion domestic spending bill after having been pushed by U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.). Brownback and other Religious Right conservatives have been complaining about the new coins since the series started last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What a joke. I guess the righties will take any victory than can get nowadays. I can't believe they even made a fuss about this. they are lucky that a bigger deal isn't made of the fact that "In God We Trust" is allowed to be on coins. As we all know, not everyone trusts in God. How can we preach freedom of religion, yet our form of currency is plastered with this slogan. I guess when the elites play a role in what is on currency, you have no choice. Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

www.alternet.org

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Why does it have to be about the religious right? It doesn't say in "Christians God We Trust" does it? I'm a little more open minded to interpret it as "any" god. Personally, I think the only people that are concerned about it are either Atheists (why would they care anyway? they don't believe in God to begin with!?!) or those dead set against dismantling America.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Maybe that's why the dollar keeps getting devalued, because many are trying to remove God from everything and everywhere.

If people don't want the word "God" on their bills and coins, I'll take it off their hands.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by surfinguru

Stotts and other motto boosters fail to note that the phrase did not appear on coins until 1864. The motto was stamped on coinage after a Pennsylvania pastor suggested it to the Mint, arguing that the Civil War was a punishment from God.

Okay, the Civil War was a punishment from God. Nice try. Why was it not coins before 1864? Because religion and govt. were not allowed to mix. If it meant any "god" then it would read like this "In Allah, Yaweh, Buddha, Confucius, and others, We Trust."
We are considered a Christian nation as a whole. Most people in this country are of a "literal" variety. If it says "God", it means "God".
And, no, I am not out to dismantle America. The Bush administration has done a good job of that.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

If that was the case, wouldn't other currencies be falling as well. I do not believe we are the only country that has that motto on our currency.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
palehorse, I completely agree with you on the debacle that has been GW Bush.

I appreciate your informative post, however, don't people have better things to do with their time than worry about this? Yes our nation is considered Christian, is based on Christianity, yet we have how many thousands of people coming to this country on a daily basis? Is it really such a big deal to have that statement on our money? I mean really, is it? Does it hurt you or anyone you know? Or does it "offend" you? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by palehorse23

What a joke. I guess the righties will take any victory than can get nowadays. I can't believe they even made a fuss about this. they are lucky that a bigger deal isn't made of the fact that "In God We Trust" is allowed to be on coins. As we all know, not everyone trusts in God. How can we preach freedom of religion, yet our form of currency is plastered with this slogan. I guess when the elites play a role in what is on currency, you have no choice. Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

www.alternet.org

You realize, of course, that the word "God" is very generic? Do you realize how many different groups that applies to? It even applies to people who believe they are gods. This probably gets passed because there's more than one way to define "God." Even our founding documents say things like "nature's God," which has been argued time and time again, is not a christian statement but a very generic statement. So either it's generic or it's not, but can you knock off the stereotyping ? It's getting really old and stale.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

www.alternet.org

What a joke. I guess the righties will take any victory than can get nowadays.

Don't worry,, it could say "Eat At Joe's and it would spend just the same.

I can't believe they even made a fuss about this.

I can't believe YOU are.

they are lucky that a bigger deal isn't made of the fact that "In God We Trust" is allowed to be on coins.

What is it you got such a problem with ?? The word "GOD" have cooties?

As we all know, not everyone trusts in God.

What? God let you down? Lie to you? Steal your girlfriend?

How can we preach freedom of religion, yet our form of currency is plastered with this slogan.

You answered your own question. First you acknowledge the phrase as religious otherwise you would have no basis for your argument.

Having assumed by your post that religions are about GOD, we have to establish which religion this GOD is referring to. If God is religion and religion about God then you can apply the word God to your religion any and all religions just as you say,,How can we preach freedom of religion .

Thats how we can,, in just three words.

guess when the elites play a role in what is on currency, you have no choice. Just another example of, if you want to be a part of this country, what WE say goes.

By George!! I think you've got it!

now,, get over it.

-Con

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Issues like this one makes me laugh sometimes, people are so touchy and hook on ideologies and symbolism.

I careless what they put on the coins, but I find funny that money is after all considered the root of all evil.

So I guess having the word God on our monetary system is a mean for some to remind others of what comes first.

So hey, let them have their In god we trust it means nothing actually.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Well, as far as I am concerned, this big deal was started by the right wing when they put up a stink that it wasn't good enough to have it on the side of the coins.
I am not offended by anything really. I, for one, could care less. But, being an objective person, you have to look at both sides of the issue. Whether you agree or not, you have to at least be open to seeing or hearing other's points of view.

To undo:
How am I stereotyping? I am just presenting the flipside of things. I realize that "God" is generic, but I highly doubt that when the pastor suggested this to be put on coins that he meant anything other than God, the father of Jesus. And as far as this getting stale and old, you should keep reading all of the threads concerning the "God" issue on this site. It seems to be wuite a big topic of discussion.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I liked the fact that people complained about the change, so they changed it back.

A minor victory, but goes to show you that if you yell loud enough, people will listen.

I always thought it didn't matter what God you believed it; it was a generic statement.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
For Pete's sakes,

My only worry is having the money to live, and "In God We Trust" has always been on coins/bills. Who cares?
I cant help but wonder why this is the Christian Right's stamp?

BTW, the penis on the buffalo nickel is offensive, thoughts??? Just like this goverenment to throw in God we trust right alongside of it.

But then again, who gets hurt? When have people refused to trade before on account of God being mentioned?

I do have to think twice about that new nickel, though.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Whether you agree or not, you have to at least be open to seeing or hearing other's points of view.

Well that was the point. If you could care less, then why come from the angle that it's a big/bad deal?

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

To undo:
How am I stereotyping? I am just presenting the flipside of things. I realize that "God" is generic, but I highly doubt that when the pastor suggested this to be put on coins that he meant anything other than God, the father of Jesus. And as far as this getting stale and old, you should keep reading all of the threads concerning the "God" issue on this site. It seems to be wuite a big topic of discussion.

Would it have been more palatable if the person who suggested it was pagan? I mean, most of the national buildings are based on architecture from pagan cultures, like the obelisk, roman architecture, and so on. I think sometimes people strain at atoms and swallow the galaxy.

Well, I don't like the word "God" on money. I think it's a bad place to put the word, but I also know that no matter who's idea it is, it wouldn't still be there if the people in charge thought for five seconds that it was an exclusively christian concept.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

So I assume that you agree with the Congressman making a big deal out of this then. As I have seen you state how God is going ballistic, this must be a move that He told the Congressmen has to be done. We have to have this on the coins. The big deal as far as I am concerned is not the fact that this is on coins, it is the fact that if it is not, a government representative deems it necessary to cause a fuss.
From other posts you have in religious related threads, you obviously like to disrespect anyone that doesn't agree with your point of view. And from the sounds of things, you do it in the name of you God. Well, get used to, as you say, old fashioned spiritual warfare because it will never go away. Not everyone believes as you do. So, this, you need to get over.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

The big deal to me is that a big deal was made that the slogan was on the side of the coin and not on the front or back. They put up a stink because they felt that the motto would eventually wear off if it was on the side. I guess I just do not like the fact that it is such an issue with a Congressman. We wouldn't even be discussing it if the representative didn't make it an issue. It would have just been written of as a minting mistake and nothing else. He makes it seem,IMO, as if it was intentionally kept off the front/back of the coins.

you know what is funny to me is that people reply to you as if you are the writer of the posted article. Just because you post an article, doesn't mean that you believe in it. This site is for starting conversation, not bashing each other. People need to be more receptive to other's point of view. Becoming more hostile around here lately it seems.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by palehorse23]

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well, I think it's put there to give the currency credibility. "God" is about a million entities or more, so it could be anyone.

The one I actually think it is, is Mammon, the god of money and greed.

So what it simply says is, we trust in this currency. Unfortunately for the Feds fewer and fewer people seems to believe this.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

Yeah. Maybe it should read "In gods we trust."

Or, even better, "In Our Elected Officials We Trust". I like that better, as placing the name "God" on US currency seems profane.

F

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Unfortunately for the Feds fewer and fewer people seems to believe this

you couldn't be more right on that. No trust in much of anything coming out of America right now unfortunately. Hopefully things can get turned around. Maybe it should refer to Mammon.

fuggle: Good idea. It shouldn't hurt anyone's feelings to ad an "s" in there if indeed God in this instance is meant to be generic.

[edit on 2/2/2008 by palehorse23]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join