It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq conflict has killed a MILLION people: Study

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
So where are the bodies? Are they in mass grave sites yet to be discovered, or did we vaporize them with our advance alien technology. Those Iraqi officials are rather poor at their job to let 800 to 900k in deaths go un-noticed and undocumented.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I still maintain that a lot of this anti-American sentiment is nothing more than a form of "country envy", if you get my drift. Continuing with that metaphor, then making tons of anti-American posts must be akin to purchasing the appropriate "medications" and accessories over the internet. They must feel better for a little while until it wears off and they realize once again that they still live in pissant little countries with no ability whatsoever to influence events on the world stage.

Like I suggested on another thread (with some of the same members posting on it) about the mods creating a special anti-semitic category for all such threads, an anti-America thread category might also work to help all these people find where to post without even having to search.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Justifiable Homicide is what are Boys are committing in wars all the time.

We don't murder people in war. We kill them. There's a difference.

I expect the poor sods being killed dont notice a difference either?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Got a point. Dead is dead.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Really?

G.I. sentenced for murder of Iraqi soldier

www.usatoday.com...

A soldier was sentenced Thursday to life in prison with the possibility of parole for conspiring to rape a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and kill her and her family. Spc. James P. Barker, one of four Fort Campbell soldiers accused in the March 12 rape and killings, pleaded guilty Wednesday and agreed to testify against the others to avoid the death penalty. Under terms of the plea agreement, Barker will not serve more than 90 years in prison, said Lt. Col. Richard Anderson, the military judge presiding...

abcnews.go.com...

Maybe you ment "not all soldiers" murder in war?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

A while ago, I posted this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Notice how many people posted on that one. I bet if the title was "US troops killing Afghan civilians" everyone would be chiming in on that.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

I'm talking combat, not crimes.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Anti-American? Nope. I love my country. Anti-illegal-war. Yes. Huge difference and it only shows your mentality when all you can come back with is blind patriotizm.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Your country please. I noticed that you don't list a location. Why is that? Ashamed?

Well if he is American,, I can understand why he would be.

Then again,, he may just think it's none of your business.

- Con

There you go. Centurion asked if he was ashamed, you said, "Well, if he's American, I can understand why he would be."

Then I said, "Funny, I'm not ashamed and I'm an American.

And here we are.

Yeah I remember,, I was there.

I never suggested it, I responded to the suggestion and NOTE:

I responded to the person who the disparaging un-neccessary dig was made. I still don't know why you are telling me however,, like I said, I didn't bring it up. unlike you,, I responded to the one that did.

See it's easy when you know how.

keep it up,, you'll get there.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Justifiable Homicide is what are Boys are committing in wars all the time.

We don't murder people in war. We kill them. There's a difference.

Yeah I know the difference THAT IS WHY I SAID JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE
and NOT murder. There is a difference

If you don't understand the legalese then it's back to reading rainbow for you ,, maybe levar can hook you up with a good author,, like mmm Webster?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

reply to post by noangels

Got a point. Dead is dead.

yeahh mate,I have a hard job respecting you guys because of this bloody war in Iraq!If its was a legal war and Iraq had attacked both our countries I would be standing shoulder to shoulder with you here.But they didnt,did they!

So You are the pawns in this battle and it looks like there setting you up against the games persian masters on the long road ahead.The only madman threatening this world with his pathetic sabre ratling is Bush,it does puzzle me why people choose to ignore his threats and point the finger at Iran.

This stupid war has damaged the reputation of both our countries,more so my country who used to have a bit more respect round the globe seeing we are not in perpetual wars like you lot seem to be.Now we have had suicide attacks on our soil,and this is purely down to Blairs religious visions that forced us to go to war on the lies that Iraq could strike us in 45 mins!

as for the toga wearing chest banger above,a lot of countries have what america has.Dont be so foolish as to think the reason people bash your war machine is because we want to live in your country!
No way would I want to live there,thank you.We are not perfect by a long way but (imo)its a lot bettter than your way of life over there.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Anti-American? Nope. I love my country. Anti-illegal-war. Yes. Huge difference and it only shows your mentality when all you can come back with is blind patriotizm.

Yeah, pardon my "mentality" when I just try and counter some of the one-sided criticism spewed out
by people that seem to be long on criticism, but short on answers. I say one-sided because they also conveniently ignore any and all of the positive accomplishments. IMO even worse if you are American, but all you can ever do is complain.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Yeah I know the difference THAT IS WHY I SAID JUSTIFIABLE HOMICIDE
and NOT murder. There is a difference

If you don't understand the legalese then it's back to reading rainbow for you ,, maybe levar can hook you up with a good author,, like mmm Webster?

Justifiable homicide: homicide that is committed in self-defense, in defense of another and esp. a member of one's family or sometimes in defense of a residence, in preventing a felony esp. involving great bodily harm, or in performing a legal duty and that is justified under the law with no criminal punishment imposed.

OK, Poindexter, last I knew, we weren't briefed that killing in wartime is justifiable homicide. It's just killing.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Geez, Gus, you're really getting all bent out of shape over nothing. Put the Cheesy Poofs down and take a deep breath; you'll live longer. Maybe have Mom make you a sandwich or something.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A January 10th article in the washington post puts the number of deaths in Iraq at 151,000. That's still a huge number but how can there be one estimate on Jan 10 and then another estimate before the month is out of over 1,000,000.

Lower Iraq death estimate article

I posted this to add to the discussion not because I want to be flamed.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

A while ago, I posted this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Notice how many people posted on that one. I bet if the title was "US troops killing Afghan civilians" everyone would be chiming in on that.

I would think US troops killing any civilians would have people "chiming in"

I know,, no big deal to you eh Rambo

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Two diffferent groups running two different surveys. Just goes to show how numbers can be screwed up.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Thanks for posting that. It is good to see 2 sides to a story. Here is some quotes from it, in case someone choose not to click on the link:

A new survey estimates that 151,000 Iraqis died from violence in the three years following the U.S.-led invasion of the country.....

The survey, conducted by the Iraqi government and the World Health Organization, also found a 60 percent increase in nonviolent deaths -- from such causes as childhood infections and kidney failure -- during the period. The results, which will be published in the New England Journal of Medicine at the end of the month, are the latest of several widely divergent and controversial estimates of mortality attributed to the Iraq war.

The three-year toll of violent deaths calculated in the survey is one-quarter the size of that found in a smaller survey by Iraqi and Johns Hopkins University researchers published in the journal Lancet in 2006.

For more www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 30-1-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Enough

With the personal sniping.... It add nothing to the debate at hand is you feel the need to resort to ad hominem style attacks then perhaps you might need to rethink how you are defending your position.

FredT, Moderator

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Did you actually read the article man? ..

They interview 2,000 households.. 20% say they knew someone who died from war.

They then take that to mean all house holds must know one person who died.

Somehow this comes out to 1.02 million people.

Wow. There is science for you.. a 5th grader could have done better. No joke.

Last year the EXACT SAME POLL was done, and the number that came out was 600,000 deaths.

Must mean that 400,000 people died this year.

Deny ignorance people... don't embrace it, or become it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join