It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq conflict has killed a MILLION people: Study

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by noangels

as for the toga wearing chest banger above,a lot of countries have what america has.Dont be so foolish as to think the reason people bash your war machine is because we want to live in your country!
No way would I want to live there,thank you.We are not perfect by a long way but (imo)its a lot bettter than your way of life over there.

That guy say that! HA HA HA I served six years and been all over the middle east Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Israel, Kuwait. Guess they need to see, smell and experience driving a bulldozer pushing hundreds of cadavers in a hole half of them small children, then tossing buckets of lime over them all and covering it up.

You are correct about other places too,, our country ranks so poorly in living standards from where we once were.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
In somewhat relevant news (albeit this report putting emphasis on Saddam creating many of the deaths)...

Iraq has a million-woman social timebomb

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Every week, letters from Iraqi widows spill across Samira al-Moussawi's desk. One wrote to ask whether she should spend what scant money she gets on her infant or on school books for her older son.

The member of parliament and head of a parliamentary women's committee is at her wits' end as to how to answer the desperate pleas from what could be as many as one to two million women.

Violence has fallen sharply across Iraq, but the number of women left without breadwinners is mounting, and with only a fraction of them receiving financial support from the government, officials fear the consequences could be explosive.

"What shall the widow do, deviate from what is right?" Moussawi said. "Terrorist groups exploit the destitute."

No-one can give an exact figure for the number of widows left by the brutal reign of Saddam Hussein, the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war, the 1991 Gulf War and in sectarian bloodshed since the 2003 invasion.

Moussawi, basing her estimate on a Ministry of Planning report from mid-2007, put the number of divorcees and widows close to 1 million of a total of 8.5 million women aged between 15 and 80.

Narmeen Othman, Iraq's acting minister for women's affairs, put the number as high as 2 million in a country of 27 million people.

Continued
www.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by noangels

Still getting lucky killing arabs in Iraq?I hope not,I get the feeling you have enough blood on your hands to last a few lifetimes.

whats one million to you?Nothing is it,you couldnt care-but thats why your out there in the sand pit and the rest of the world is having a party at your expense.I should feel sorry your out there,but to be honest its nice to know your types are not here on the streets!

O Don't tell me that guy is a soldier?!?

thats disturbing,,

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Yes, I am. And I've been to the Middle East numerous times. How about you? You stated you bulldozed bodies into mass graves. Care to devulge who you were with at the time this was happening?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The other morning W was getting his security breifing while he munched his Cocoa Puffs and towards the end an adviser looked glum as he said "And also sir, I must inform you that 5 Brazilian soldiers were killed in security operations in Iraq yesterday" W dropped his spoon and was visibly shaken as he put his head in his hands apparently overcome with greif. After a moment he looked up with tearful eyes and said "How many's a Brazillion?"

[edit on 30-1-2008 by ItsHumanNature]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

That guy say that! HA HA HA I served six years and been all over the middle east Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Turkey, Israel, Kuwait. Guess they need to see, smell and experience driving a bulldozer pushing hundreds of cadavers in a hole half of them small children, then tossing buckets of lime over them all and covering it up.

You are correct about other places too,, our country ranks so poorly in living standards from where we once were.
[edit on 30-1-2008 by Conspiriology]

I had nothing to add until now. I would like to see that! A pit of cadaver being limed up by the U.S. Military! And you were involved in such heinous war crimes?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsHumanNature

That's an old one. Funny, tho. Thanks for the laugh!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 30-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
While this is a hot-bed discussion, let's all take a moment to remember the Site Terms and Conditions of use and that Civility & Decorum are Expected . Please discuss the topic and cease the personal snaps at other members. Further infractions of the rules will result in warnings.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The personal attacks and off topic remarks STOP NOW!!!

Food for thought:
Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic
Announcement: Civility & Decorum are Expected

Last but not least:
Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Further disruptions of the topic will not be allowed.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
...A million people...
Thats a lot of lives ruined..
think of all the mothers and fathers of each individual... his or her friends... his or her brothers, sisters, grandparents...

Imagine if you died, how many people would be devestated?.. how many of your friends/family would avenge your death and take up arms?

How did we honestly believe that entering Iraq, would REDUCE terrorism and anti-American feelings?
for each 1 person we kill, wether it be through direct armed actions, mistakenly dropping a bunker buster on a school bus, or family.. running someone over.. mercenary maliciousness...
for each of those individual souls, we effectivley CREATE 2, maybe 3 more terrorists.

And for each one we kill, we add to the feeling of American Hatred, that we seem to there to remove..

Its doesnt make sense, it doesnt work, and it was never meant to work.
This million people wernt all killed with bullets, bombs or knives.
what about the ones dying, or whom have died from disease?
Maybe lack of water/food?
what about the bodies that were never recovered, because our bombs obliterated them?
How about the list of missing?
The bodies buried or dumped in the rivers?
the mass graves??

So many avenues of death here, which can b directly attributed to ONE ACTION!

Unjustified, illegial military action against a soveriegn nation whom didnt deserve it.

I would like to ask, Americans in particular..

why they believe these Iraqi's are attacking our troops?
why it is that muslims around the world, burn effigees of Bush, why they taunt and attack the western nations verbally?
why they set off carbombs in western hotels

They arent doing these things for the hell of it, just to look cool and mean you know.

They are watching their fellow man be slain in Iraq, based on nothing but corporate greed.
and it is for this reason alone, they are willing to sacrifice their lives just to kill us.

a million?

Huh... if we keep following in the footsteps of the third reich, that figure will look like a walk in the park.
because surrounding arab nations are starting to see the reality behind the wests intervention in Iraq.

Its like a frauduel slip

'' fool me once... shame on... shame on....''

Bush couldnt of created a perfect irony.

here's the most powerful man on the world, struggle to say a basic line... which depicts people being fooled once.

Well, '' the west '' fooled the arab world once with Iraq... they wont be fooled any more.
How does it feel America?.. your own destruction came at the hands of your own stupidity and immoral greeed.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You are right, the poll is not an accurate way of measuring body counts.

I can't say a million people have died as I'm not in Iraq to count each body.

What I do know is that thousands of civilians have died as a result of our invasion along with thousands of 'insurgents' (freedom fighters) and 'terrorists' (anti-Western revolutionaries) for those of you who believe in that sort of thing along with our soldiers.

Oh I forgot to mention the mercenaries, can't forget Blackwater and Halliburton can we

[edit on 1/30/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Someone like your self is astute enough to see the flaw in their method of finding this number.... of course, there are ulterior motives no? .. The death count last year was 600k according to you.. 400k in one year? .. A year where death levels have fallen? .. Whats your angle?

Most likely 150k have died... is that not enough to mourn with out propaganda?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I agree with you, and I said as much on the 1st page of this thread. If the roles were reversed and that was someone else's country occupying my land for years and they had (whether purposely or not) killed ANY of my loved ones, I would do everything I could to fight them with extreme prejudice. And I think that even the soldiers here, if they're being honest, would do exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Absolutely.. I agree 100%.. its a terrible loss for little cause.. what has come of iit? .. We where better off assassinating the jerk and letting someone else from the Baath party take over.

But blowing death out of proportion is the worst kind of emotional propaganda.. it ruins the cause of the anti-war activist.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

But blowing death out of proportion is the worst kind of emotional propaganda.. it ruins the cause of the anti-war activist.

They don't really care, I don't think. It's an emotional topic and they figure that if they get enough people fired up, they'll get their point across.

How many times after the US strikes a target, the first thing you read is how many civilians might have been killed.

Remember the "Big Lie"; you repeat it enough, everyone will believe it.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree, problem with these numbers is you NEVER REALLY KNOW!

88000 from day dot to today is only 44people a day...
thats a lot.

BARRRT, you think of the initial days when we sent in 150,000 troops gunz blazing, missiles dropping, tanks pounding... that we could of easily been killing... 150,000 per day?

Thats only 1 person per solider.....

or, 2 per half soliders?

numbers games are BS no matter how you look at it...

but its not that main point here..

See....

If I go outside and murder 5 men.. I get the lethal shot
If I go outside and murder 10 men... I get the lethal shot..

It matters not exactly how many I murder, it matters for the fact I killed, innocent people.

Now, This administration clearly went in, on purpose, under false intel directly to CONTROL Iraqs oil.

Are you farmiliar with the following:

www.roadstoiraq.com...

An Iraqi MP preferred to remain anonymous told the newspaper that highly confidential negotiations took place by representatives from American oil companies, offering $5 million to each MP who votes in favor of the Oil and Gas law.

The amount that could be paid to pass the votes do not exceed $150 million dollars in the case of $5 million to each MP, pointing out that the Oil law requires 138 votes to pass, which the Americans want to guarantee in many ways, including vote-buying, intimidation and threats!

We'd rather spend $5 million per Iraqi MP to pass the advantageous oil laws..... than provide running water, constant food or power...
So whats the priority here?

My main point is..

one single death is enough to outrage anyone.
Because that one death devestates dozens of people.

That one death was the result of nothing but GREED.

it matters now if its in themillions, hundreds of thousnads or even teens

its the point that innocent people are dying,
dozens PER innocent are devestated...
and a country has been shattered, all so your oil execs can smirk while standing in line at the ATM, and so you SUV drivers can continue to feel macho and manly in your tanks.

god damn disgusting, If I were an American supporting this war, id be ashamed.
Hell, Id hide from the world.

But then again, if you can handle innocent people dying, you can handle your own people spitting in your face.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Justifiable Homicide is what are Boys are committing in wars all the time.

We don't murder people in war. We kill them. There's a difference.

Well that depends on the exact situation, for example bombing a neighbourhood to kill a couple of extrimist leaders, but also killing innocent civillians around the area is murder,(cheap murder)

killing a guy with a gun shooting at you is what you call killing.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   

True, in the early part of the war the number of soldiers killed is still unknown.. maybe never known.. I don't count them with casualties as they where registered military.. grouped together its still going to read "civilians" when the largest part would be military? I would say though more civilians die AFTER the initial invasion then during.. we don't carpet bomb, it was a very precise job.. not saying innocent people didn't die, they always do.. but I don't think a significant amount did. It was not until the Golden Mosque was blown apart did civilian casualties REALLY rack up..

I still say roughly 150,000 civilians, militia type citizens (not all fighters are evil.. some are desperate, its an only option.. I know I would be in the streets giving hell if someone came into my country..) .. and various support staff .. be it reporters, humanitarian, government officials, what ever..

To say 1.02 million out of 27 million died is absurd.. way over exaggerated, regardless of the bombing we did at the beginning (Lebanon.. a nation leveled, did not suffer such extreme casualties)

But aside from that, the war was corrupt, it was for oil rights, we got the contracts there is no denying it, so did Britain, very immoral war. The more we learn about it, the bigger the sham turns out to be.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

...god damn disgusting, If I were an American supporting this war, id be ashamed. Hell, Id hide from the world.

But then again, if you can handle innocent people dying, you can handle your own people spitting in your face.

Well, guess what? I support the war. I believe that what I did over there was helping the Iraqi people. Due to the actions of my squadron, I know that people who didn't in the pass were allowed to vote.

The only people I had a hand in killing were ones that were trying to kill me, or ones that were trying to kill my fellow military members. No one "innocent", regardless what people want to believe.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I would also like to point out.. all those who die...

I consider lucky. Compared to...

What honestly tears me apart inside is not that such and such amount of people where killed by this bomb or this group or what ever...

Its the kids BORN in this mess... the ones born before and during this war.. who grew up seeing death, bodies, body parts, bombs at night.. seeing their mother crying as family members disappear into the militia undergrounds.. its the little kids who will grow up knowing nothing but war, and believe me, those memories will be with them for as long as they live.

I mourn their lives over those who lost theirs.. that is where the REAL injustice of war comes in.. some people lost their lives, but the kids had their innocence stolen from them.. That is wars greatest victim..

[edit on 1/30/2008 by Rockpuck]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join