It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Haitians resort to eating dirt

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

sorry didn't mean to offend you but i think he will try to help them out---he's already said he intends to help the mexicans(worldnetdaily) in the usa so why wouldn't help the people of haiti ?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't think bring Haitians to this country in masses would help either. There is plenty of way to help, without placing the burden on the population of this country.

Edit to add:

And when I mention population and also refer to the already eroded social services systems of this country.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
The USA gives more money in financial aid to the rest of the world than anyone else.

When it means political gain.

Originally posted by on_yur_6
In fact I bet you can combine the financial aid of every nation on earth and it still won't match what the USA gives.

Source?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by never_tell

I'm sorry, but are you being sarcastic or what do you mean by that?

[edit on 30-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ths not a new thing in Haiti, the news piece mentions that the mud is (has always been) prized by pregnant women for it's calcium content (the fact that entire families are resorting to eating it IS new). It also mentions the rising costs of food because of higher oil prices, floods (who can stop a flood?) and fertilizer. It can't get better when the price for the foods that poverty stricken people eat will only go up in response to bio-diesel development. Poor people don't rely on beef, after all. They eat a whole lot of corn and corn products.
You won't see anyone in the US trying to help out the people of Haiti--didn't you know they're all black?? And not a drop of oil in sight. NO reason on earth to help them out. God must WANT them to starve huh?
Let nature take it's course, you say? Alright...at some point "eat the rich" won't just be the title of a song. It'll just come naturally!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I believe that every spoonful of food, or drink of fresh water that we gave to them would be returned to us with interest. Many don't believe this way, I do.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pc is here

I believe that to be the case as well. Throughout history the US has help many Latin American countries and that has cause many positive relationships between the U.S. And the countries of this region.

I also believe that every situation is different and should be taken care of with a particulare approach. Not because you help a country one way it means that you going to use the same approach with others. For example the situation in Africa has been dealt with sending money despite that after decades of billions of dollars being sent in aid, the situation has not improve.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
you people with hearts are earths saving grace.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Republicans had make a living of bringing more illegala to this country and then resort to different forms of amnesty to cover their mistakes. Reagan did it and Bush wants to push for amnesty too.

Wait, Republicans? The Democrats have more readily endorsed giving citizenship to illegals, though plenty of Republicans have failed as well.

In fact most of the Republican Party has failed at being conservative at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Haiti, being the poorest nation in the western hemisphere, is nearly at US(richest in the world) door step, and most definitely US could and should do more to alleviate the sufferings of these por people, as a minimum of helping out the needy neighbor. Given the recessionary pressure, I doubt much will be done, unless some of the military mis-adventure money is redirected.

[edit on 30-1-2008 by NeedToNo]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
In fact most of the Republican Party has failed at being conservative at all.

Which is exactly my point, this issue should not be politicized in the manner that the earlier poster try to because when it comes down to both parties are responsible for the mess that we have when it comes to immigration.

Besides as I stated earlier I dont think thats the way to go in this issue.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Why are we talking about nuclear weapons and other countries?

i was responding to this comment when i gave you the kudos and suggested the reason people are "debating" this topic is because they themselves have the luxury of doing so... i.e they aren't eating dirt sandwiches...

i think your question spoke volumes as to how we in the developed world treat these types of tragedies... we talk talk talk... get off topic... go for a sandwich... return... talk so more... maybe we talk so long the problem goes away?... someone else dropped a note describing people standing around debating on how to save the drowning man while someone walks up and saves them... question is who will be that person?

i put a idea out there for us all to donate a few dollars collectively and no one responded... classic.... all i read afterwards were comments on how corrupt aid agencies were etc... i can tell you from personal experience that a dollar a day goes along way... i've been sponsoring through world vision for over a decade and have helped financially raise more than one child in the developing world... i've corresponded with parents and eventually the children themselves as they reached an age they could write or dictate... i've seen the pictures and watched them grow up healthy and with an interest in school and helping their community... to me that's living proof... it had nothing to do with removing a political party or corrupt community leaders... its about helping one person at a time...

no one asks people to give away everything they have, but next time you have that second coffee at starbucks for 4$ think about it...

and to the post that suggested starving people just move... that's so far from the realms of reality... in some cases were talking about people who don't have the strength to move or that live in political environments that disallow any movement at all... i find these kinds of "quips" a slap in the face of people in real need everywhere... shame

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
For those thinking the U.S. should do something about this, let me debunk to the 2 most common ideas here:

Giving our (taxpayers) money to Haiti is UNCONSTITUTIONAL

Importing large numbers of 3rd world people into the U.S. would do nothing but beg for disaster.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
So you're basing your opinions about GE crops on a bias. Gotcha.

I'm not saying we should all start eating engineered food. I grow my own for a lot of things, too. But you know what... it's probably pretty hard to say, "I'll stick with my heirloom tomatoes thank you" when you've got a mouth full of DIRT!

Your heirloom is ofcourse also the perfect way of escaping the real world facing you...
Namely that you could make a difference, if you really tried to help...

If you really cared... you would place your money in someone elses pocket, then the already capitalistic pigs of this planet!
Whom by the way are already raping Africa out of natural resources such as gold, diamonds, coal and manganese.

Do you really think it is moral and humanitarianly valid to keep this up...? Just feeding them a little whenever we please, to keep them on the brinck of survival, while stealing all the resurses they could use themselfs to become self sustainable?

But according to your heirloom, you should be pleased yourself, to accept bananas, as payment for your work, when your employee tells you he has run out of money...?
And don't go "I'll just find another job" cause thats not possible for theese people.

We need to help them get self-sustainable! Not feeding them off with the failed GE crops, now invested so many money in inventing, that the inventers just have to get rid of them at any cost!
Eventhough GE crops are dangerous to the surrounding plants, trees, flowers you name it... And it also has the little sideeffect of being sterile!

Ooooh yes then we just have to buy some more GE crops...WTF! Capitalist earth rapers!! Get out of this world allready will you!!!

I myself will resort to eating dirt, if I ever vind up with GE crops being the only alternative!
atleast I'll die faster than the slow death lurking in the shadow of GE crops.

This end up all about money... And once again, the blinded halfbrain high-consumer mass population of TV watching zombies, will just donate a dollar, while sipping a coca cola and stuffing their face with the next Mcdonalds meal, while they think their consciousness is clean.

We live in a world where people would rather dry their ass in another mans face, than in a 1 dollar bill!

Wake up people and smell the coffee! please?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
There are only three things sentient beings can do that will bring an end to world hunger and suffering:

1. God shows up and sets things right by force.

2. Aliens show up and convince humanity to set our political differences aside, allowing those who "have", and who want to help, to do what can be done to fix the problem. Those that fight the efforts of said aliens would be convinced through force.

3. The elite and powerful take down by coercion and force all governments and tribal leaders that refuse to allow the billions of dollars to flow into the programs that will fix the problems.

It seems that if any other method than force were going to succeed then it would have by now. Unfortunately, the ones with the power to end the problem are the same ones too greedy to do so.

We all seem to fear the One World Government, yet cry out for these same elite to do what it takes to right injustices. They should, but are we willing to give them the control it would take to accomplish the goal of a world without hunger and war? I submit that we would ultimately allow it.

"Those that would give up freedom for security deserve neither" is a statement made constantly throughout these forums. But will we sleep better at night knowing no one goes hungry anywhere? We all want our freedom. We value other countries' rights to religion and sovereignty when there is nothing to be gained. Why don't we consider then the rights of those countries' citizens to a decent diet and the opportunities we have, as resources to be gained? We do, but we also don't. At the heart of the problem is the heart of man. The heart is filled with greed and self-ness. Those that are in power are there because they either want to help, or want to have it all for themselves. Those that are in it for themselves "win" most of the time, so nothing gets better. The only way to fix everything is to fix the broken and backwards spirit inside humanity. Since that isn't ever going to happen, it would seem that overwhelming force is all we are left with. So, who's it gonna be?

[edit on 30-1-2008 by obilesk]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Not sure where the content of my Edit went to on that last comment. I will give it time, but if it doesn't show up then I will post it as a new...um, comment.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Originally posted by obilesk

1. God shows up and sets things right by force.

Completely out of our hands and I for one am not expecting it to happen in my lifetime. (or anyone elses for that matter!)

2. Aliens show up and convince humanity to set our political differences aside, allowing those who "have", and who want to help, to do what can be done to fix the problem. Those that fight the efforts of said aliens would be convinced through force.

Again, completely out of our hands and if it does I don't hold much hope for the aliens being the amazingly altruistic beings a lot of people expect them to be. (I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but.....)

3. The elite and powerful take down by coercion and force all governments and tribal leaders that refuse to allow the billions of dollars to flow into the programs that will fix the problems.

The only option we can directly influence.
But how do we force our "leaders" to take such a drastic step?
Direct Action?
Mass Protests?
Mass boycott's of selected brands and products?

If the elite were going to do this they would have long ago.
They are acting out their own personal agenda and I suspect universal freedom, equality, free will etc is not part of that agenda.

Would I give up my freedoms, (limited that they are), to end world poverty.
I very much doubt it but I suspect it's a choice I won't have to make or one that other's will make for me.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I just don't get it. What does the UN do exactly? There are so many problems in the world but it seems like nothing is being done about it.

You see all of these "feed the Children" adds, but you don't hear much follow up, or news stories on the progress or accomplishments of these groups. Can world hunger be stopped?

It is horrible that this is happening every day when you have fat countries like the US throwing millions of pounds of food away each day. Something has got to change.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

PS: This post encompasses what my magically disappearing EDIT on my first post contained.

I agree with all you have said. Except maybe the part about God...but anything is possible.

My point of course was to point out the futility of eradicating the problem of hunger outside of the use of force by those that have the power and the conviction to do so.

Unfortunately, a full scale rebellion would be a short-term fix. After the rebels take the resources and use them to accomplish the feat of ending hunger (and that would have to be one HELL of a rebellion), a new elite would be established in ensuing generations and the cycle of greed and corruption would begin again. It's human nature, and cannot be stopped by humans. If it could, as we both have said, it already would have been.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If an evil force or entity is behind this then why so.....trap door teeth were probably cut in their teeth like mine were......mind control drugging and illusory tactic to create zombie slave for servants and info / gem smuggling. 100 percent violation of huuman rights. corporate structure behind this operates off of stolen and hidden nazi information....they want blame placed on germany as a distraction......they have run a private campaign of bio/chem/mind control attacks world wide. chem / bio /tech testing was done on our soil for interrogative purposes to gain information and wealth. they used criminal means of torture on me ......I never sold out.....and I suffer from long term disability from their means of torture on U.S. soil under a corporate shield......private hospitals are where they extract information.....and kill witnesses if they cannot be made to cooperate. I got names faces dates and witbesses world wide. ask yourself how my credibility rates.....

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join