It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Haitians resort to eating dirt

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by pc is here

well i fed and gave haitians work like dem do me.....the lack of calcium in dem in haiti diet is from illegally obtained mining of calcium bicarbonate on their soil obtained by torturous means under a corporate black op shield and using the U.S. flag as a false allegiance because of exhisting operations on U.S. soil. you can trace materials through the cement and sheet rock/ gypsum board businesses that they sell the waste to.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
People are starving all over the world due to the selfishness of others.

Often they are at the mercy of a dictating warlord who channels all the money into a fat Swiss bank account, deals in the drug trade and imports arms from the USA, France, China, Russia and any other country you care to name.

Yes...lots of countries do send aid...to keep their humanitarian reputation intact but Blind Freddy can see that governments around the world condone this behaviour because they all benefit from it. They all get kick backs some way or other...you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

In 1974 Henry Kissinger undertook a study called "National Security Study Memorandum 200: Implications of Worldwide Population Growth for U.S. Security and Overseas Interests." President Ford made it policy in 1975, it is known as NSSM200. Basically it stated that less developed countries were a threat to the US and the only way to resolve this threat was by population reduction. Covert methods would be employed i.e birth control, war and famine.

We see charitable groups in these countries trying to make a difference, swimming against the tide whilst their efforts are undermined by those in higher places.

These people are easier to get rid of than those of us in wealthier, industrialised countries. They don't ask questions, they do not always have the means to fight back (too weak from starvation) they are lead along, exploited and soon die. The have nothing to offer and are expendable.

These people can eat if some of the power players let them

Just my crazy thoughts

res

[edit on 30-1-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Ever take a look at Hispaniola? That is the island shared by Haiti and The Dominican Republic. The Dominican side is a lush tropical environment. Then there is Haiti. At the border you can clearly see how the Haitians have destroyed their own environment. The land is almost completely denuded of vegetation. One side of the island looks green, the other side looks like a pot hole.

Haiti can blame itself for the mess it is in. A nation of Voodoo children, ignorance, and internal greed have turned a wonderful tropical island into a mud pit.

Lesson learned.... When one forgets to keep a healthy environment, one must live with the consequences. Hope it tastes good.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Why are we talking about nuclear weapons and other countries?

Anyway, these people need education on how to gather food, such as farming and financing.

So, are you are farmer? Does going to Taco Bell every night make you some sort of genius? Teach them how to "become" a financier? How the F do you plan to teach 16 year old Haitian mothers making dirt patties to be financiers? Do you even understand what a financier is? It means that YOU ARE THE ONE WITH THE MONEY TO LEND. Ridiculous. It makes me think of an old Steve Martin routine. He starts by saying "becoming a millionaire is easy. Ok - first-(muffled) you get a million dollars- and then..."

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by leira7
I just don't get it. What does the UN do exactly? There are so many problems in the world but it seems like nothing is being done about it.

You see all of these "feed the Children" adds, but you don't hear much follow up, or news stories on the progress or accomplishments of these groups. Can world hunger be stopped?

It is horrible that this is happening every day when you have fat countries like the US throwing millions of pounds of food away each day. Something has got to change.

yes organizations live save the children, world vision etc do work... you don't hear the follow up in MSM because its a non-story for them... the story is the starving poor, which keeps the developed world thinking nothing can be done... ask someone who works with these organizations and they will tell you countless stories of hope... sponsor a child for a year or two and correspond with them through the family and they'll tell you themselves... don't get caught up in the "nothing i can do" trap of ideology..

btw, the UN does nothing but send money to the powers that be for distribution ( i minimalize) ... aid organizations on the other are on the front lines often handing out the food you help them buy from the back of trucks staright into the hands of the people needing it... big difference

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluess
Ooooh yes then we just have to buy some more GE crops...WTF! Capitalist earth rapers!! Get out of this world allready will you!!!

I'm not sure if anyone should even waste their time responding to you.

I'll try, though. Can you define what a "GE crop" is?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onchemonuttintolose
inappropriate content removed

I imagine that you are a new member on this site, so in the interest of having you here for a long time you might want to check these links

Terms and Conditions of Membership

One line post

[edit on 30-1-2008 by Bunch]

Mod Edit - Removed Inappropriate Material In Quote

[edit on 1/30/08 by niteboy82]

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Good luck your going to need it posting all these random posts.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Dirt can be very good for you, despite the obvious lack of protein it can be chock a block of vitamins and minerals, and would do you at the very least no more harm than a happy meal, probably more nutritous if im gonna be honest about it!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Pro-genetic

Good take on this-LOL. This would be a huge hit with the "I don't consume anything that had a mother" crowd. I know some granola / grass juice bars that would probably put dirt cookies on the menu. The trick would be to charge $10 each for them and tout their "nutrition" and eco friendly production. "Our mineral rich dirtcakes are carefully hand packed by serene vegetarians and no animals are harmed in their methane free production"
Pure genius. I wonder what the shipping cost on Haitian dirt is......

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsHumanNature

Good take on this-LOL. This would be a huge hit with the "I don't consume anything that had a mother" crowd. I know some granola / grass juice bars that would probably put dirt cookies on the menu. The trick would be to charge $10 each for them and tout their "nutrition" and eco friendly production. "Our mineral rich dirtcakes are carefully hand packed by serene vegetarians and no animals are harmed in their methane free production"
Pure genius. I wonder what the shipping cost on Haitian dirt is......

hahaha!wonder what kinda quality control they would employ? if a shipment of dirt is late youll see the local jucie bar manager in a field takeing a piss on his fresh pile of mud to enrich it and for flavour(obviously)!YUM

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

AHEM

This type of post will cease now. This thread is not intended to be a discussion of the realtive health benifits of dirt. To make fun of this tragic situation speaks volumes about a lack of morality and appaling ethics.

In addition it adds NOTHING to the thread at hand.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
FredT, moderator

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Sorry i took it to far!But regardles of me feeling bad or good or indifferent about this situation it wont change the situation at hand, they will still be hungry regardles of how much my heart bleeds!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pro-genetic
regardles of me feeling bad or good or indifferent about this situation it wont change the situation at hand, they will still be hungry regardles of how much my heart bleeds!

It still is rather thoughtless to say things like that whether it has an effect on the situation or not. I'm quite sure you wouldn't appreciate, nor would you find it funny, if people were laughing or cracking "jokes" at your suffering.

If you believe in not making fun of people with disabilities, or not making fun of people with diseases, or anything like that, then you should know better than to make fun of people who are starving. All three have the same thing in common - they don't choose their lifestyles. They're victims of unfortunate circumstance.

Forced to eat dirt and nobody does anything to help is probably the most disgusting and disgraceful thing I've ever heard in my life. Regardless of your personal opinion on it, that isn't a laughing matter.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
back in the 80's we had "feed the world / do they know its xmas". (band aid?)
and thats pretty much all it was, a band aid fix.
there has also been many other feed the people type fundraisers since.

so its clear to me feeding them does not help because 20 years later the situation is worse. it sounds cruel and i hate typing it, but it is the sad truth.

you could send a trillion tonnes of food to them tomorrow, but give it two years, maybe 5.. and they will be back in the same situation again because as biggie smalls has said "feed a man a fish" is all we are doing.
we need to teach them HOW so they can feed themselves.

also, one has to wonder what the heck a 16yr old is doing with a kid in this situation.
if life was fine and dandy a year ago and in the past year some tragic circumstance (hurricane, flood, tsunami) has happened then you could understand it and i think most would help with donations.

but what we have is someone who has almost certainly eaten dirt or gone hungry several times before, then at the very young age of 15 gets pregnant and becomes a mother.. now everyone is supposed to feed her AND her baby (and there will be more kids to come i assure you)

and if you do feed them, then what in 15 or so years when mother has had more kids and the kids start having kids? more mouths to be fed, all from hand outs.

what if someone in our civilised society was starving their kids or having to eat dirt? its exactly the same and you have to wonder who in their right mind brings a child into those circumstances knowing it *will* go hungry for most of its life and every scrap of food it does get is a hand out.

what i think would work best is to give them help growing and producing their own food.

maybe john deere can ship over some tractors of some sort, mobil can supply a bit of fuel, some other companies send some seeds and other things to help them start producing their own food supplies.

it gives them a job and purpose in life, every year it should get better and should help reduce hunger, and instead of giving say, 10 million in aid or food you'd be giving 10mil in supplies and equipment to help get them out of the hole they are in.

just feeding them does not help, it only makes things worse in the future.
teaching them and also offering tools and supplied with a helping hand to start a new direction is what is required.

[edit on 31/1/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obliv_au
also, one has to wonder what the heck a 16yr old is doing with a kid in this situation.

How do you know what happened? Let's not make assumptions, please.

I don't think I have to really go in to the other possibility of why she got pregnant. The article makes no mention of a father, so this would sort of support that "other possibility."

But regardless of her choices, the fact is, there are more people starving than just her and her family. A potential bad choice on her part doesn't diminish what is going on there.

And hurricane damage could very well be a possibility. Haiti is right there in the path. Look how long New Orleans has taken to rebuild, so one can only imagine how long it takes there.

Originally posted by Obliv_au
just feeding them does not help, it only makes things worse in the future.
teaching them and also offering tools and supplied with a helping hand to start a new direction is what is required.

I completely agree. But someone has to make the first move and do SOMETHING. Even if it's small. Just get things moving.

[edit on 1/31/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsHumanNature

Dude why are you attacking me lol

It's easy to farm, these ppl just need to get seed and plan, plus wood to build a mill, then read manual on how to build it etc.

For how long have humans been farming?

As for financing, you can use some of the food to sell, etc.

Education is all that matters.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I'm irish, people have been laughin and cracking jokes at our suffering for centuries, and we have a dark sense of humour so deal with it!
And it's not thought less to say that they will still be hungry no matter how much i feel bad! ever hear the saying "if only tears could feed" so my statement was thought provoking!
And 90% of jokes out there(dont actually have figures:@@
are about unfortunate circumstance! It's a real crappy situation there in, Ireland went through the same thing(a million dead) which gives me more right than most people to comment on this!

[edit on 31-1-2008 by Pro-genetic]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Yeah he doesnt mean anything by it, now forget about it guys, a bit of sense of humour goes a long way, I'm sure thats how so many people have coped in such hard times, a bit of humour.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join