It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Haitians resort to eating dirt

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
This might get the atheists In an uproar but I don't care because it's still worth asking, ...
What would Jesus do?

1 For starters he would teach Men to fish so they can learn to support themselves.

2 Make many fish out of one, so it's time to put that cloning process to good use

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
One interesting comment:

Moment of Truth, a new show where you are asked a series of questions while strapped to a lie detector and then you go on the show and TELL THE TRUTH for money asked "Do you care about the starving children in Africa"?
The player is given a few seconds to answer the TRUTH. He thought and said a firm NO. His answer came up as truthful.

My point here is to remind everyone that when the subject comes up, we are all full of pity and horrified, but in real life, on a daily basis, when you're chowing down, me included, we dont THINK of those starving people at the moment. We think of ourselves.

What needs to happen is that we all make a conscious effort to send relief and donations to those people in need.

Do we know of any organizations who provide help to these people through funds sent?

I havent read this entire thread, but i'm willing to send them food. What i can. I can only take action for myself. I dont count on this government or that government to do anything.
Anyone who is hungry here can resort to the government or a church. Those people dont have anyone to turn to.
AND, when you give grace, remember those cookies, who, but for the grace of God, we are not making right now, but we COULD be.

I know, i spent at least 5 years of my life eating canned Russian ration food.

Be grateful and do something.

That's my sermon.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This is sad to see but I am annoyed by people always blaming the "fat Americans" for not helping these people and no one cares to annoy other major countries.

Go Bono!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlitzKrieger
and no one cares to annoy other major countries.

It shouldn't be "this country" or "that country" helping. It should be "this person" or "that person".

We're all capable of helping fellow humans, no matter what country they're in.

When we stop allowing our political bias, ignorance, and arrogance get in the way of helping other human beings, and stop allowing imaginary lines on maps dictate who we help, then maybe we'll accomplish something as human beings.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Why does someone always have to bring Israel into it? For crying out loud Egypt gets almost as much money and Iraq gets about ten times the amount Israel gets.

You dont hear anyone crying about the awful Egyptians and Iraqis getting all of our money. Yet when it comes to Israel and Jews in General its almost like some kind of Demonic, even Satanic hate boils into existence.

The Jews and Israel are not Humanity's freaking scapegoats. Take some responsiblity.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Why does someone always have to bring Israel into it?

Well, for one, Egypt and Iraq don't have an illegal nuclear weapons stockpile, and don't go around threatening and bombing their neighbors.

But that's beside the point, because my point is it's pathetic that we spend so much more on military might than we do on starving people.

You dont hear anyone crying about the awful Egyptians and Iraqis getting all of our money.

I don't approve of it.

The Jews and Israel are not Humanity's freaking scapegoats.

They aren't innocent angels, either.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hi Blaine.... welcome to my circle of friends!! lol... finally someone who gets it... and your point about christian organizations is spot on... it truely doesn't matter whether you're a christian or not... i mean its not like Save the Children sit around preaching the gospel to starving kids denying them food until they know what chapter of genesis adam sins in! as you've put most succinctly, we need to get out our check books and send our "hard"earned cash... i.e a call to action!

that said, how do we go about setting up something like that here at ats... i've done this a number of times where we get a group of people together to donate $1 a month and collectively support a family or two, depending on the support we gather.... lots of people don't give because they can't afford 40$ a month.... but a dollar a day? few can't....

i'd like to see ATS mods set something up... I'd do it, but i don't know enough people here and wouldn't want to run the risk of people thinking i was taking the money for myself... dispite being one of those rich and famous types that aren't suppose to be hanging here
... thoughts anyone?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

i think we need to change people's appreciation of the food they "chow down on"... i personally consider the hungry everytime i eat and am thankful for all the luck i've had in life... are there any organizations that help? there sure are... i posted a direct link to sponsor haitian children through world vision a few pages back...

just google any of the following....
World Vision, Save the Children, Oxfam.... all accredited and audited charities...

www.worldvision.com...
www.savethechildren.org...
www.oxfam.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I agree this is terrible, but bringing Israel into it is just silly. Israel has nothing to do with the plight of Haitians.

I would support some kind of aid to Haiti, but there is a bigger problem that must be addressed.

To quote the article: "Food prices around the world have spiked because of higher oil prices, needed for fertilizer, irrigation and transportation. Prices for basic ingredients such as corn and wheat are also up sharply, and the increasing global demand for biofuels is pressuring food markets as well. "

Oil prices and biofuels. What we're seeing in Haiti and elsewhere is as one person in a earlier post said, a Correction. Growth has surpassed sustainability. Modern Industrial society has allowed the planet's human population to explode. It has changed much of the Third World from subsistent societies to dependent societies.

The next hundred years are going to be traumatic as Oil demand far exceeds supply, biofuels begin to be mass produced, and the First World is not able to continue its support of a planetary Welfare program for dependent Third world nations.

The best thing we can do is provide these people aid in the here and now, while we still can, get some education and structure in place to correct the problem before Survival of the Fittest corrects the problem in apocalyptic fashion.

This is within our National Interests and need for Security. The famines, civil wars and mass migrations that will result will destabilize the planet. It is in our best interest to act now, while we still can. Haiti is just the beginning.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Why are we talking about nuclear weapons and other countries?

Anyway, these people need education on how to gather food, such as farming and financing.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

i'd suggest because they've never eaten a dirt sandwich...

kudos for your response...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Very sad. However why do we USA need to feed them? How about France, China or whatever. I agree the UN should do more......Hell move the UN to Haiti! We have starving people here in the USA that ate nothing last night. let us fix that then we can try and fix the rest of this crappy planet.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

it's not about countries helping... its about you and me

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by never_tell
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

it's not about countries helping... its about you and me

Its actually about: from the Article

"Food prices around the world have spiked because of higher oil prices, needed for fertilizer, irrigation and transportation. Prices for basic ingredients such as corn and wheat are also up sharply, and the increasing global demand for biofuels is pressuring food markets as well. "

Until this is addressed and we face reality, it will only get worse.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

and so do nothing? i hope for the sake of the hungry around the world there's a violent revolution that sees all the elite thrown from positions of power and the resources of the earth returned to the management of the worker... lol... where have i heard that before...

i'll suggest, without any malice, your "solution" is idealistic and falls short of anything helpful in the here and now... its akin to a previous post debating the nutritional value of a dirt sandwich ie. insulting to the hungry of this planet

the rich and the powerful will continue to ignore the plight of the developing world and think of it only as aplace to rape for resources... same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

and so do nothing? i hope for the sake of the hungry around the world there's a violent revolution that sees all the elite thrown from positions of power and the resources of the earth returned to the management of the worker... lol... where have i heard that before...

i'll suggest, without any malice, your "solution" is idealistic and falls short of anything helpful in the here and now... its akin to a previous post debating the nutritional value of a dirt sandwich ie. insulting to the hungry of this planet

the rich and the powerful will continue to ignore the plight of the developing world and think of it only as aplace to rape for resources... same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

I'm not saying do nothing. These people need help, especially education and social structure. Without it they'll destroy themselves, each other, and blame their problems on the First World. Essentially creating spawning grounds for terrorist and guerilla movements.

Violent Revolution by desperate and hungry mobs will be the endgame if this mess is not fixed. Like other idealistic "Worker" societies before, it will meet the Iron Law of Oligarchy and a new elite will be born, like in the USSR, North Korea, China, etc.

Yet at the same time we cannot perpetuate a global welfare program. These people need help, but we must face reality. People need to take responsibility. Out of control populations, waste, and ignorance are some of the main factors creating these conditions.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

i guess the question is, "what can you and i do mike?" today... tomorrow... besides just talk about it and debate its causes and the effects it may have on our lives.... these are the answers we need....

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   

i guess the question is, "what can you and i do mike?" today... tomorrow... besides just talk about it and debate its causes and the effects it may have on our lives.... these are the answers we need....

People need to contact their Senators and Congressmen. People can also contribute to various aid programs ran by numerous organizations. The biggest part is awareness. Inform people. Without it Congress and the People wont do squat.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I hate these posts, they serve no purpose what so ever, to all those who think everyone hates America, we don't, we just Dislike George Bush and his crappy foreign policy's! The E.U not the USofA is the biggest aid donnor in the world, fact, not only that but our aid doesn come with any conditions like 90% of americas aid, if america gave haiti 1 billion dollars ye would tell them its on condition that they spend 999million on american products which are vastly over priced for there needs, rather than investing in the local economy this aid money goes stragiht back to the united states, ye get yer money back, yer economy grows and ye look good, it's a win win! And to those saying this is a terible thing to happen, DONT WRITE A CHECK, GET UP OFF YOUR FAT ARSE AND VOLUNTEER!

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

other than contributing to aid organizations, which i think is a very good idea... i read " wait for other people to fix it..." tell ya what mike, maybe you and i should throw in the first shekels and get this ATS fundraising campaign rolling... what do you say? i bet if we set an example, others will follow... shall we try? it doesn't have to be much... for example we could send some hungry kids some food and it would only cost 50$... that's only $25 each or we could get others to contribute too and send even more... or pay even less.... game?

i just checked the world vision site and the donate pages are down...
www.worldvision.org... ... do some shopping and let your philanthropic imagination run wild...

i have to go now, but i'll check back in tomorrow and maybe we'll chat further about it? that was agreat idea you had mike

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join