It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I weird for wanting a Situation X type event to happen?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
No, you are not weird.

Just "sick".

Here are two facts that confirm the above comment:

#1) You are here, on ATS .

#2) You created and posted this thread.

Please don't misunderstand me. It is not my intent to ridicule you.

Currently, and there has for some time, been an epidemic sweeping the globe. This epidemic originated in Great Britain, and has perpetuated itself exponentially in the United States of America.

This epidemic is called "Warholism".

"Warholism" is of course, derived from the name of Andy Warhol. An artist who is remembered, among other things, for the famous qoute "everyone will have thier fifteen minutes of fame".

The advent of "reality TV" has brought, for lack of a better term, "reality" to Mr. Warhols' bold statement. This, combined with the anonymous freedom of the "information age" has given "carte blanche" to anyone with two fingers and an internet connection.

Again, please do not misunderstand me. I, like you, am here. On ATS, and typing. Believing that my thoughts and opinion matter.

What you, like me, and so many others are searching for, and asking for, is called "Validation".

Spend a few minutes on YouTube, or MySpace, or FaceBook. Just look around. Why is ATS any different?

Content? I think not. We are only just sheep of a different color my friend.

Tell me I'm wrong.

[edit on 1/25/2008 by Kaiser Sohse]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I have also been having these thoughts, and although I do consider myself pretty weird, I like to think I want a global "event" to happen because it would break the monotony.

Not only that, but it would give me the sense of not being totally in control. It would scare me like nothing else, of course, but i think I would emerge a better, more humble person. That is if I don't die in the meteor's mighty explosion.

Here's a thought- why does it have to be a mass-life-ending change? Can't it be a sort of technological revolution or a bout of real peace?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I'd be happy for the bank system to collapse so I wouldn't have my 800 dollars in credit card debt

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Nah dude, you're perfectly normal!
IMHO, the world is in a pretty crappy state at the moment, and I think you realise this. The reason you feel this way is because you desire change. And unfortunately, I think we both understand that it has to get worse before it gets better.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Lol yeah i also have a some sort of "desire" for something to happpen. Be it anything.... A cyclone or WW3. Just gime something.....

Actually i had one of those moments when i wrote a post saying "The world NEEDS a WW3!"

If you view my threads started you'll find it.

People called me a psychotic idiot pretty much. And i agree i wouldn't really want a WW3 and Millions of people dying, But i just as you said, WANT something, ANYTHING, to happen.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
We don't need a major event, there's bad things happening everywhere all the time on the micro-level. People losing their jobs, families, homes and other things important to them. If a major event happens on a massive scale, then situations like that just get accelerated.

I've often wondered what it would be like if something like WW3 happened. But I think it's just an easy way out for our own problems on the micro-level. They're things we have to tackle head-on.

There is a theory that once a civilization reaches a certain level of development, it inevitably destroys itself. I hope we never reach that level, or we find a way around it.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Join westbro baptist church and i'm sure situation x will surly happen,,,, na only Joking

What a honest post,, i often have thoughts like that but when i really think about it i chicken out big time as reality sets in and imagine the horror loved ones being killed in front of my eyes my kids etc then i pray i see nothing like that and my heart go's out to anyone that has ie, Tsunami,Katrina,Earthquake,Killing fields, death camps, 9/11,etc etc.
I too used to wish for a cyclone(hurricane) to hit till i was in a small one once and then just the outer edge of it as fortunately it went back out to sea i had a sense of excitement and fear but would not like to relive it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate
"Its only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

This quote absolutely represents my feelings on this matter. I don't look forward to masses dying, but I'm so sick-to-the-gut of this modern world. As someone stated earlier, we're thrust into this system whereby in terms of opportunity, comfort and security, few of us are superior and many of us are inferior. It has nothing to do with how smart we are, or how fit we are, or how good we are, it is only about which rung of the ladder we're born onto and who of us has the lesser social conscience. I'm sick of that. I'm desperate to see a day where the playing field is levelled and that boss of mine has to fend for himself without the comfort of his ferrari, a day when finance and materialism mean nothing. Of course, the real elite will have havens in such an event, but at least they'd be powerless to control us any further.

No, we're not mad, and I don't believe that we are demonstrating the negative side of human nature here either. I'm fairly certain all of us in this thread are expressing ourselves through frustration by the current state of affairs. I made a thread about the triviality of our lives, and my biggest gripe is materialism. We don't need the latest cellphones, ipods, widescreen TVs, or fashion items. I'm afraid that the only way we're going to learn that now is through a world-changing event, and to be honest, only a bad one. A positive revolution, technological or otherwise will probably not quell our materialistic hunger (unless it's of the spiritual sort).

If I survive whatever's coming, I'm ready to go. To concur with an earlier poster, I'm a minimalist too. Even now I make do with the bare minimum. I like simplicity and I like being accountable to and responsible for myself. In our current world, we have little to no control over our lives - and that needs to change.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudfire
Here's a thought- why does it have to be a mass-life-ending change? Can't it be a sort of technological revolution or a bout of real peace?

These things would be nice, and I would imagine we all hope for such things, but I think most people who have reached this point (like myself) realise that massive global change is only likely to happen through a destructive event.

Perhaps we could call this condition cataclysmia

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I too think like the OP lately. I don't exactly hope for it though, just expecting it.

I've been reading Nineteen Eighty-Four the last few days though, so don't mind me. If you've never read this book, please do.

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty-Four

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
A couple of years ago a fire broke out at the edge of the heavily wooded campsite me and my family were spending our holiday. Even though people were panicking and crying and even though the danger was very real, I remember this night as one of the best of that holiday.

Why? Partly because of the adrenaline and the fact that no-one was harmed I suppose, but moreso because in those moments individualism ended. Everyone came out of their tents and bungalow houses, wondering what all the fuzz was about, gathered together on the streets and interacted and bonded with each other. I remember this experience as very different from when these same people gathered that afternoon to watch a number of sporting events, where everyone stuck to their groups, their own friends and family units. That afternoon we were divided, that evening we were one.

I believe everyone has a deep down desire for something to happen which will end our modern, materialistic and individualistic ways and make us go back to our roots, even for just a short while. This is why I believe our current societies can't last forever. We aren't hardwired for it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Go out and find someone 3 times bigger than you. 3 times as strong and mean as hell. Kick them in the family fun sack and wait for the return pain...That will test you...believe me..lol

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Most people on ATS usually are looking for something, something to give life a bit more "umpfh" if I may put it that way. Breaking out of routine as alot of people have put it.

I personally just want.. something to happen. To end the pain of the tension building up between countries. I havn't gone a day this year without thinking about what I may do when the time arises for the fittest and ones with conscience of the world around us, to flee the terror that may follow after we leave.

And I have always been a firm believer of everyone on ATS as having conscience. Why would we all be here if we didn't want to know what is actually happening? We are all here because something has happened to enlighten our conscience, in search of a deeper meaning as to whats going on with life, beyond what the media tells us, what the government statements are.

Lots of people in the world today are blind, but on ATS we are not.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
humans

heh,push the button

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Wish that too, but...

Then you lose everything too. Imagine, your old frail parents, if you have any. Nieces, siblings, cousins, friends, how many of them will survive? How many will be displaced never to be seen again?

Its inevitable that the show down will come. The same people that you attribute so much control, are the same people engineering it.

Destruction is coming and its all planned. Read the Protocols Of Zion.

Why do you think all the gold has gone and was replaced with worthless paper and booms and recessions that are so predictable?

One day, when their messiah comes, the One-Eyed One, the anti-Christ, then they will set it in motion, with or without your consent. And we the people shall starve and kill each other.

Then they shall offer us salvation. They'll say, here, join us, know your place in the hierarchy of things, you are a slave, but our slaves will be fed and our slaves won't have to toil hard for their bread.

You might argue, but we are already their slaves....

Not completely, not totally, not yet.

zionist-watch.net...
www.inter-islam.org...

[edit on 25-1-2008 by raze78]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
For those that have posted they want something terrible to happen... how many of you have children, or someone that you love more than yourself?

I ask because I get this mental image of a young, bored, person who thinks that life is like playing their PS3 or XBox... that if something goes wrong you just press "reset", and everything is as it was. The real world is not like that... once you are dead, it's game over forever.

Though I find it sad that you wish for your own life to end... just leave the rest of us that do have a reason to live, out of your death wish. Or better yet, get a life that IS worth living and fighting for. DO something to make the world a better place. GET involved with a cause that will help others to survive. TRY to correct an injustice. LOVE someone more than yourself.

Oh ya... and clean your room, take out the garbage, and don't talk back!!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by yankeerose

While I value your point of view, I think it's a little offensive to accuse everyone in this thread of being immature. Granted, I'm only 24, but I do have a long term fiance who I, as you put it, love more than myself. Fact is, she has some health issues and has been constantly betrayed by the British healthcare system, and we're both faced with the prospect of a difficult future (housing, jobs, health) even if no catastrophic event occurs. That's the way I see it - absence of a world-changing event doesn't bode for any brighter a future. Better that something big shakes us free from these shackles (albeit into newer shackles of natural law and seasonal reliance) than nothing happens and our shackles be gradually tightened.

And just to clarify, I'm not hoping for billions to suffer and die. I may be a little misanthropic but I'm not a sadist. It's just that by sailing our current course, I'd rather one big iceberg cross our path than watch the ship rust itself into oblivion. At least instant oblivion might give us that little opportunity for escape - a spiritual escape if nothing else.

[edit on 25/1/2008 by Cythraul]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Sounds weird to me. Sounds kinda selfish too. You want people to die so you can test yourself?

It also sounds like you think it would be a game if something happened. And you would go running around like some movie guy shooting up aliens or whatever.

Maybe you don't think that, but thats how I see it.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
You want it now, while your sitting safely at your home on your computer. With food and water just in the other room. The heaters on so your nice and warm and comfortable. Take all these away, spend the night on the street with only the cloths on your back. Go several days without water and food. Factor in a family whom you are responsible for and watch them starve or freeze. Trust me once something major happens you will wish for the good ole days. Take comfort in what you have now and hope we dont experience any of the senarios you wish would happen. Many believe that something inside them would rise up and they would be great leaders or hunter gatherers, survivors. Sorry its not like the movies. Ive endured hardships before. No home, no heat, no food, no idea where your next meal is coming from let alone when you could use a real bathroom and shower. The reality of it isnt as romantic as your imaginations make it out to be. Trust me, enjoy these boring times and pray you finish your life out in peace and safety.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
It's to release the tension that seems to be building up constantly but no going anywhere. How many threads do we have on ATS saying things like "We will be at war within the month!" or "The world will end in 7 days!" or "Disclosure this week!". And when nothing happens it just leaves us disappointed and feeling like nothing interesting actually does ever happen in the world.

Add to that the glamourisation of these things in movies and on TV, and we all kind of think that war, aliens, natural disasters and anything 'big' in general is actually pretty cool. That we will see some massive explosions and hero figures like John McClane/Rambo/The Terminator coming to the rescue all guns blazing and everyone will rally together and it will all work out.

No matter how cool that would be though, the fact is that it wouldn't actually play out like that. James Bond isn't actually going to save the day, and if there was a war, we might not win like in the movies. So yes, people like to fantasise about something big happening, but let's just hope that it doesn't, because this is the real world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join