It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I weird for wanting a Situation X type event to happen?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Is it odd that I really want something bad to happen?

I dont really care what it is, be it China invading us, Aliens invading us, a Cloverfield type event, natural disasters, massive attacks, or just plain martial law. I dont really care, I just want something to happen.

Not sure exactly why, whether it would be a new experience, or because I truly want to test myself, but is it odd/weird that I want disaster?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
In my view, it's only a problem if you aren't concerned about it. Hope is a quality that should be defended vigorously.

If you feel you have none, then you might be in more trouble than you think.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
In my view, it's only a problem if you aren't concerned about it. Hope is a quality that should be defended vigorously.

If you feel you have none, then you might be in more trouble than you think.

I wouldnt necessarily say I am concerned about an event mentioned above, but more like looking forward to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

I think many people share your thoughts. I often do(especially hurricanes), but it is becoming much less frequent. I think these thoughts can be attributed to them/I not liking their station in life or the way their goverment /business operates or even just the way humanity interacts with each other. Such an event would definitely bring major change, everyone assumes it would be positive change. I am not so sure.

I think it is more likely that a situation X would bring anarchy and it would soon become survival of the fittest amongst humanity. Thus those that are weak of mind and spirit, would end up with an even lesser chance of a decent life or in many cases no life at all.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Sounds to me like you need to join the military - it's an adventure

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I too have always had this "perverse" sense of longing for some sort of cataclysmic event. Movies such as "The Road Warrior" and other nihilistic fare have always held a strange fascination for me.
Even now, as a firmly entrenched member of the establishment, I still find an odd sense of satisfaction reading Gloom-and-Doom predictions of impending catastrophes.
It only seems natural though that if a certain part of the population clings to a belief in a Utopian future (e.g. Star Trek) that a certain portion of us would have an opposite inclination. If you feel weird then count me as well

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustTheFacts

Sounds to me like you need to join the military - it's an adventure

Been there, done that, Was All that I could be

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
I wouldnt necessarily say I am concerned about an event mentioned above, but more like looking forward to it.

I understood that.

I meant it would be a problem if you weren't concerned about such thoughts.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this desire has a technical name, but maybe we should give it one because I sense more and more people feel the same way: wanting something to happen, anything to destroy the norm.

I think it stems from a sense of dissatisfaction with the status quo. Most of us are not living our lives the way we want to live them. Perhaps we sense the government ignores us, that the rules for success are stacked against us, that only a small, elite can flourish, that we don't have much of a voice.

Perhaps our values are insignificant by society's standards. What we do and what we consider important are ignored or must be ignored if we want to 'get ahead'.

I love the start to the movie Shaun of the Dead, because it aptly visualizes how we go about our daily routines. It's as if we are numb and need to splash our faces with ice cold water in order to wake the hell up and find meaning.

The 'system' (corporate, financial, societal) is so entrenched into our lives, that we begin to wonder if the only way to destroy it (and replace it with something new, fair, human) might be through catastrophe (natural or otherwise). Such forces, be they a hurricane, an asteroid, an alien invasion, or a second American revolution, would tend to level the playing field. No matter your status, your bank account, your education, this event would affect everyone equally. The person who until then has little direction and no voice can suddenly rise to the top, discover meaning, make a difference.

Should such an event occur, reality might not be everything it's cracked up to be and you might find yourself wishing for the good old days of the faceless corporate world. But, still, the desire for radical change is near unquenchable.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
i find myself wanting for things to happen, i dont really want anyone to die but i like to see how things play out. it would be cool to witness from safety an asteroid strike, yellowstone eruption, an enormous tsunami etc.

or even martial law just to see how things play out and what the public reaction would be. would we submit or stand and fight.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

But, still, the desire for radical change is near unquenchable.

Unquenchable! Ain't that the truth!

I don't know what it is either, but we certainly aren't alone. I can't really explain it, but ever since I was a kid I've felt the same way. Now that I'm older, it feels like it does stem more from my dissatisfaction with the system.

I think its almost like a Fight Club mentality,
"Its only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."

I wonder if this is the kind of desire that starts revolutions.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
It's been said many times : The thirst for destruction is human nature.

It's true. As children, what was the first thing we all wanted to do with that tower of Lego we just built? SMASH IT!

It's an inherent part of being human. At least it's natural for human males.

The distinction between being Civilized and being Savage, is your ability to control the desire for destruction.

Unfortunately, looking at recent world events, the powers that be are anything but Civilized.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

It is unfortunate.

I would say it is also true that the desire for creation is just as strong,
so if we know conflict is inevitable, by what other means can change be
brought than through destruction?

Can good people lose their civility, in the hopes of bringing about
creation and positive change through destruction?

I hope so.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I look forward to the end of global corporate fascism, be it revolution, disaster, whatever, and i find many people i know share the same view. While i disagree with genocide, eugenics, and the likes of "ethnic cleansing", i strongly agree that the world needs a lot less people blindly consuming resources for no other reason than than consumerism. I don't wish any specific disaster really, even a peaceful revolution at the ballot box (if such a thing were possible) just to get us headed in the right direction.

We're all the same, thirsting for change. In the US roughly 1/4 our spending goes to the military driven to resource conquest by profit margins, and the same to a flawed medicare system which allows the insurance companies to monopolize and bilk for billions. We have a skewed election process where it's obvious that votes don't count. Add the recession caused by artificially inflated energy prices (with repercussions of such affecting all industry) and the mortgage crash and debt crisis, and we stand on the brink of disaster as it is.

As of right now, I'm ready to welcome the end of the gross injustice the devils who run things impose upon us, especially the biochemical and psychological (food additives and TV) warfare tactics being applied to the population. A lot of us are ready. I'm a minimalist, i'll just run off into the wilderness with a small pack full of gear and be just fine without civilization. I'm probably going to do just that even if nothing happens. I welcome the day when there's no electricity, when the oil is gone, when man's vile machinations cease their incessant cacophony of rattletrap noise pollution, when the satellites drift from orbit or crash to terra firma, and cease their emanations of microwave radiation, the day that this very computer that i use (which is recycled) ceases to be of any use.

Many hundreds of millions, billions will be unable to cope with a world not supported by the current unsustainable path we plow blindly along, and will perish. I may be one of them, and so may you and your loved ones. I hope for peaceful and positive change, where a revolution begins by the population becoming aware of the lies and deceit and doing something about it. Doing things like investing in solar and wind power generation where feasible, getting off the couch and planting a garden of useful stuff, and as much as possible, ending one's own dependency on the power provided by the powers that be.

Personally if there was going to be an asteroid strike of extinction level proportions, i'd want to be close to ground zero to witness the event.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Count me in.

Could it be that some of us feel that something big is gonna happen soon (natural or otherwise) and just want it over and done with so that we can move on?

I sound like a doom and gloomer these days lol but in the words of a song, 'theres something in the air'

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
It's been said many times : The thirst for destruction is human nature.

It's true. As children, what was the first thing we all wanted to do with that tower of Lego we just built? SMASH IT!

It's an inherent part of being human. At least it's natural for human males.

The distinction between being Civilized and being Savage, is your ability to control the desire for destruction.

Unfortunately, looking at recent world events, the powers that be are anything but Civilized.

And I would have to agree with that...as the next step of the process.
Destruction is simply a step toward creation. As humans, we love destruction because, really, we want from transformation.
And, really, this is more of a conservation thing rather than trying to make something new. It's adaptation.
At least that's how I see it.

Anyway.

For the rest of it:
I am the same way. I'm waiting for 'X' with anxiety, yeah, but mostly excitement. I rationalize it by saying, well, it's bound to happen, so what gets to me the most is the wait.
Then again, I've never been the most patient person.

As a gut-feeling / conjecture, watch for a spike in events come spring.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Short answer - despite people here trying to make you feel better by saying they have similar feelings - is yes. You are weird.

But....humans are weird beings.

People want or look forward to destruction and seeing other people's misery, until it starts happening to them.
I guarantee you these feeling would go away if you are sitting there watching your family be gruesomely killed or your life was in mortal danger.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
There's a name for this, or there should be one. Doom Syndrome or something. I too want to ascend. I too want this all to end. I want off this crazy f-ing planet.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I dont think you're crazy.

If you start making lots of threads promoting it with no evidence or unplausible evidence, and clogging up ATS with BS, then I think it will become a problem.

Dont become a scaremonger or doomsayer....I implore you

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
count me in 2.
i always am fascinated by disasters and have a feeling of satisfaction when seeing this happen. its not that i want animals that i love btw allot more than people, and humans to die no but exactly what is being said before to see a change in daily life, new opportunities, possibilities, etc etc. its to stable alll and boring..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join