It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Whatukno makes 22.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Whatukno makes 22.

I would like to try my hand at this as well if there are still openings.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I would also like to join. It will be nice to have some direction for my research and writing. As well as a group of people willing to read, analyze, and counter.
Good luck everyone.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Hey Vagabond!!!!!!

Looks like we have 24......

How cool is that???

Semper

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The roster is now full and closed to inexperienced debaters. Experienced debaters will become unable to invoke priority by rank at 5 PM Pacific tomorrow. (at this point I find it unlikely that anyone will be bumped, but the rules do technically allow for it).

This is the current roster in order of seeding. Rankings remain subject to change until the 14th, however no debate which has not begun by the 7th shall be elligible to affect seeding.

In simplest terms- if you want to earn a first round bye or an easier match in the first round, get into a practice debate and win it. If you really want to climb- do it twice. Do it before the 7th of February.

If you want a challenge match, U2U somebody to issue a challenge, and when they accept, U2U me and I'll create the thread. Make sure you get an answer from me though. I've got a new semester starting at school and I DO need to be poked sometimes- just ask my math prof.

Last but not least, I STRONGLY suggest that you read as many past debates as possible and read them carefully. Ask yourself why a debater did the things he did. Pay attention to diction, to organization, rhetorical devices, humor, sources- what were the differences between the winners and the losers? These are things it will serve you well to know.

Remember seeds 1-8 recieve a first round bye.

1. semperfortis 13
2. Loki 11
3. MemoryShock 9 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
4. kenshiro2012 8 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
5. GAOTU789 5
6. Skyfloating 5 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
7. TruthWithin 4
8. Argos 4 (non-challenge match underway- may gain 2)
9. budski 2 (match underway- may gain 2 or lose 2)
10. NYK537 2
11. FreeThinkerIdealist 2
12. Northern
13. LDragonFire
14. dominusluciferi
15. GUNSINWAR (match underway- may gain 2)
16. TLomon
17. bodrul (match underway- may gain 2)
18. Sublime620
19. jitombe
20. TheDuckster
21. thesaint
22. whatukno
23. illusionsaregrander
24. Parabol

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Can't wait.....

The roster is certainly impressive...

Semper

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I am a little confused about how this is arranged but I can't wait to get started. I remember last year debating Semper and what an impressive and tasteful discussion it was. Truly Semper you are the man to beat here. I don't envy you with all the debaters gunning for your title.

So are we chosing what we want to debate this tourny or are the subjects going to be handed out to us? There have been a few suggestions thrown out there that I think I can sink my teeth into.

Whichever the case this is gonna be great

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Excellent!

I come back from a weekend off and find a full roster of debaters ready to tear each other apart!

This looks to be another great tournament.

'Better watch out though...I have something to prove this time!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Few heavyweights are signed up here. Never underestimate the underdog though, they might be the one to surprise you.

Having participated in these in the past guys, and as an attentive reader for this tournament.. please make an effort to meet your deadlines. If you can not make them, make an effort to give heads up. If you're unavailable for any extended period of time in the next month or so, think twice about diving in.

With everyone making an effort, these tournaments are always some of the best threads ATS has to offer.

Good luck!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Anyone here want to do a quick match? I'll do any topic, and on either side.

Just let me know.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Practice Debators?

Please contact me via u2u.

We can set up a schedule via Vagabond!

Thankyou kindly.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I just want to be clear about something- I despise tournament forfeits. If you miss two posts during a debate, you are disqualified.

If you get disqualified during a practice match, then I reserve the right to find a reliable member to replace you in the tournament if at all possible.

I REALLY don't want to replace anyone, that's not what I'm getting at at all. I LOVE having new fighters to grow our wonderful forum.

But it's a matter of respect. Everyone here deserves a shot to work hard and earn a win for themselves, and when you forfeit, you deprive them of that. If you do that to somebody you agreed to a challenge match with, I just can't let you do it to someone in the tournament.

Nobody is in real danger right now, somebody did just lose one post for being late, and I want to be fair and put the word out right now, and not spring it on everyone after the fact.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Is it possible to have alternates on "Stand-By" in the event someone does forfeit during a tournament?

Especially early on...

That way they could step in and assume the debate.

It would not be a perfect system as the alternate would have to assume a debate he/she had not started and get online with the thought process, but at least it would provide for continuity and everyone would get a full debate...

Semper

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Outstanding point. If anyone else is interested in the tournament, say so here. Past experience suggest that as many as 4 alternates may get their chance, but there is no limit on how many people may sign up as alternates.

If a debate ends in disqualification before one of the posters has even made his post, the alternate will simply assume the position of the disqualified debater.

If a debate ends in disqualification before reaching the half-way point, the alternate and remaining debater will have an entirely new debate.

Once a debate has gone past the half way point, disqualification will cause the remaining debater to advance by default, and no alternate will be assigned to that debate.

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
A thought or two... (maybe three)

Have a few alternates that could be utilized for the opening round, if somebody fails to appear. But moving forward into the second and third rounds, I think someone from the earlier rounds should be utilized. Adapt a philosophy that nobody gets very far in the tournament without winning. A tournament back in early of 2006 saw members winning twice without having to of competed. I don't really agree with that. But rather than having someone jump in the third round, without having participated in the first two, that doesn't seem fair either.

So what if you had an alternative or two for the opening round. After the opening round commences, select one or two from the losing side and place them as the alternatives for the second round. Obviously go with a member who put up a great fight and went down in a blaze of glory. Someone who deserves a little something, but still came out on the losing end.

If nobody forfeits in that round, those members are just scratched. We would take the losing members from this next round and pick one or two of those that really put up a great fight, and slot them in as alternatives. So if someone forfeits, we go to them. And so on down the line.

This way nobody moves forward without winning, and only members who've made a solid effort and proven their worth can a second chance at the title.

Clear as mud? Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 30 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I like it...

Seems more fair to me and yet still gives alternates a possible shot of getting in....

Semper

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

If nobody forfeits in that round, those members are just scratched. We would take the losing members from this next round and pick one or two of those that really put up a great fight, and slot them in as alternatives. So if someone forfeits, we go to them. And so on down the line.

I like this idea ALOT.

Inquiry? Any news on when the matches begin?

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well, how ever the rules on alternates fall, add me to the list. I am kicking myself for not signing up for the tournament already. Amazing how fast it fills up.

Regards,
DMN

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Chissler's idea is an outstanding one, and unless somebody can see a huge problem with it of some kind, I think we should use it.

The obvious question is how we determine which defeated members will fill vacancies first.

I believe that the only fair way to do this is that if a member quits, he should be replaced by the last fighter he eliminated.

If we don't do it that way, then it will be theoretically possible for a fighter to lose to you and still walk away with the title, without even having to face you a second time necessarily. That would obviously be flawed.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I've made a bit of an executive decision, and it's the kind of thing that I usually like to avoid, as I believe consistency is EXTREMELY important, however I have granted illusionsaregrander and sublime620 each 1 free ranking point on the basis of their enthusiastic and incredibly timely posting. There have been 7 posts in that debate in less than 3 days. They are going at DOUBLE the speed they have to be going, even while many are, quite regretably, forfeiting posts for non-posting, in other challenge debates. Hats off to those two gentlemen. (please note that their 1 point bonuses are not subject to wager because they did not have them when they started. that means the loser will still have 1 point- he wont be reduced to zero).

Extensions are available guys.

I know what a time crunch is. I've been sleeping 5 to 6 hours a night lately, or else I wouldn't have been on ATS this week. I'm at peace with my addiction to ATS, but I don't expect others to live that way. If you ask for another 24 hours, maybe even 48 (with good cause) you'll get it, as long as it's not every single time. But if you don't ask for an extension, you'll forfeit your post.

In other news, the debate between Argos and The Borg from the team debate series has concluded. Argos has won and gained 2 points.

The 3 changes mentioned here are of significant effect. Here is the new lineup. Budski You have lost your bye. You will need to win your current match and one more to get it back. Sublime620 and Illusionsaregrander- whoever wins your debate, will be 1 more win away from a bye as well (Budski, that would be bad for you, and ditto for TruthWithin). It's a foot race now gentlemen. Shore up your position while you can.

1. semperfortis 14
2. Loki 11
3. MemoryShock 9 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
4. kenshiro2012 8 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
5. Argos 6
6. GAOTU789 5
7. Skyfloating 5 (match underway, may gain 2 or lose 2)
8. TruthWithin 4
9. budski 2 (match underway- may gain 2 or lose 2)
10. NYK537 2
11. FreeThinkerIdealist 2
12. Sublime620 1 (challenge match underway, may gain 2)
13. illusionsaregrander 1 (challenge match under way, may gain 2)
14. Northern
15. LDragonFire
16. dominusluciferi
17. GUNSINWAR (match underway- may gain 2)
18. TLomon
19. bodrul (match underway- may gain 2)
20. jitombe
21. TheDuckster
22. thesaint
23. whatukno (challenge match underway, may gain 2)
24. Parabol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join