It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Do you want to learn a heck of a lot, be challenged intellectually, and recieve boo-koo recognition for how sharp you are (including applause from staff)? Or do you just want to wipe the smile off of our current champion's face? GOOD!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As described in the thread above, the first debate tournament for 2008 will begin in mid to late february. We can take up to 24 debaters. That's 50% more than usual, so there should be plenty of spots.

Still, preference will be given based on experience. New debaters are on a first come first serve basis for spots not claimed by experienced debaters.

The tournament is seeded based on ranking, which is based largely on experience, so new debaters who wish to participate can benefit from arranging challenge matches now in order to gain ranking.

If you wish to participate, just say so in this thread, and make sure to check both this thread and the debate forum regularly for updates. I strongly recommend that participants add the debate forum to their MyATS display so that they will know when the debate threads are created and when their opponents respond.

Please consider whether or not you have the time to participate before you claim a spot. Debating is stimulating, but also demanding.

Debaters must respond to their opponent's posts within 24 hours. In my experience, a really good debate post takes between 1 and 3 hours to plan, research, and type up, depending on how tough your opponent is. Each round of the debate will require you to make 5 such posts within the space of 7-10 days. There will be 4 or 5 rounds, depending on how many fighters sign up.
That means that if you expect to win the tournament, you will need to devote at least 1 hour every other day for about 2 months. It is however a single elimination tournament, so realistically, most participants will only have to make that commitment for a couple of weeks.

So, if you think you know a heck of a lot, and/or just like to hear yourself talk (or type as the case may be), speak up!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I am a newer member who has yet to actually post on any of the threads, but I am a huge fan of the debate threads. If there is any room, I would love to be able to debate in this tournament.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If you have any open spots I would love to play!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Welcome aboard Northern. It's first come first serve among the new members, so it looks like you'll be in.

Who else? Northern isn't afraid, neither should anyone else be.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
LDragonFire is in.

New debaters speak up quick- remember that experienced debaters get priority, so the sooner a new fighter speaks up, the more likely he or she is to get a spot.

Also remember that you new debaters can arrange practice matches against eachother. If you lose the match, it doesn't cost you anything, but if you win it, you gain ranking points, which means higher priority for registration and a better seed in the first round.

You can set up your matches in this thread or by U2U, then U2U me to make sure I know, and I'll set it up. We can handle as many challenge matches as you guys want to set up. If you move quick there's even time for some of you to get two debates in.

If you win 2 debates before the tournament starts, you'd have a rank of 4- pretty respectable and a big advantage going into the tournament.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Or do you just want to wipe the smile off of our current champion's face? GOOD!

No offense semper....as much as I encourage you to smile (anyone for that matter), I've got a scouring pad with your name on it....

I would also like to second what The Vagabond has stated....new fighters would benefit greatly from a challenge match or two before the tournament. This will not only give you an oppurtunity to work on your initial ranking, but give you a feel for the process as well. My first debate was in a tournament setting and I would have felt alot more comfortable had I done it before....I strongly urge you to set up matches with fellow newcomers.

And remember...this is FUN!!!...as well as extremely educational!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Alright, Memoryshock is in, and offering some very sound help to anyone who needs it. Good going.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
If this won't conflict with the Team Debate tourney Vagabond, I'll have a go.

To the new members that sign up, I would STRONGLY recommend a challenge match amongst yourselves for practice. Debating at ATS isn't quite like a normal post(unless your lucky enough to be debating a topic your intimate with) and it does take a a bit of effort. I was very surprised with the degree of diffuculty the first time.(I lost too
)

Also, read the old debates. Go back to the older ones and read and read and read. Check out the Head to head Political Debate Forum on Above Politics. You'll get a lot of useful knowledge from those forums.

The debates are some of my favorite posts to read. I feel they are the best forum on ATS, thanks to the work of the mods and the debaters.

Oh and don't be discouraged if you get a topic your not familiar or comfortable with or don't agree with, consider it a chance to broaden your knowledge base.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
while i am fairly new here, i regularly debate in other forums across the net, and would love an opportunity to take part here.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
We will make the challenge series and the tournament work around eachother somehow. That reminds me, I've got to give The Borg a nudge.

GAOTU, you're in if you want, and dominusluciferi, so are you, assuming there is space, which i expect there will be.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well I am in of course.....

Have to give everyone a shot at the title....

But be warned, I will not "Go Quietly Into The Night"

I LOVE seeing the new names jumping in, looks like word is getting around...

Semper

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
TITLE DEFENSE! YES! Thank god you're not staff. They keep doing that to our champions!

The pressure is on- can the incredible Semperfortis become the second champion to make a repeat?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Count me in man!this sounds to good!!

I think this is a great learning experiance!!

[edit on 18/01/2008 by GUNSINWAR]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Alright add me to the list Vagabond.

Memoryshock and semper!! Shaping up to be a great tourney all ready.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I would be very interested in trying out my debating skills here. Please sign m up.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
This is really outstanding!!!!

All of these "Newer" members signing up.... Combined with our "Older" members, this looks to be a historical debate series...

Semper

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Count me in as well, please

I'm currently in the process of sorting out a challenge, and I urge anyone who has not taken part before to do the same, and also to look through some other debates.
I particularly recommend semper Vs vagabond - an outstanding debate.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well here we go, it's time to make my full fledged return to the debate forum. I'm already extremely excited based on the level of talent that has already signed up here.

This is going to be a blast!

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

i might aswell try
it would prob help with my grammer and so on

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wecome back nyk537!! And well done to all the new fighters for braving the new frontiers and signing up!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join