It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTBREAK: 2000+ Have Fever In Bird Flu Hot Spot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

OUTBREAK: 2000+ Have Fever In Bird Flu Hot Spot

www.expressindia.com

Kolkata, India. January 22 About 2,324 cases of people suffering from fever have been reported from the Birbhum district — Ground Zero of the bird flu outbreak in the state — in the last five days.

According to the status report, as many as 707 fever cases were reported from Birbhum district on January 18.
A day later and another 304 people were added to the list.
January 21, 707 more cases were added to the existing figures and today an additional 613 cases of fever were recorded.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Big population areas like India and China is where this disease could spread and mutate the fastest.

I fear that this will soon begin spreading quickly.

www.expressindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on (1/23/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Does this mean that it can now jump human to human? 2000 people seems like a lot of people to catch it from just poultry...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Does this mean that it can now jump human to human? 2000 people seems like a lot of people to catch it from just poultry...

If H5N1 becomes capable of airborn transmission it can spread very rapidly.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
It's comin round the mountain..

News about it will get better then worse until the truth can no longer be contained by the media, and that's when hell will break loose.

Not from the disease itself as much as from the people fearing the disease.

my thoughts..

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Um......

Bird Flu Spreads to Nearly Half of India's West Bengal State

Indian officials are struggling to contain a serious outbreak of bird flu that has spread across nearly half of the eastern state of West Bengal.

India's Farm Minister, Sharad Pawar, said Wednesday the virus has been detected in nine of the state's 19 districts. Neighboring states are being asked to send medical staff to help deal with the outbreak.

www.voanews.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
You would really have to wait until samples from ill people come back positive or negative for the Human variant of H5N1 to start ringing the bird flu bells ~ not to say it's not serious... That many cases in proximity only increase the chance of the leap from intestinal to upper respiratory (we really don't want the later)

But H5N1 is just the well known problem - who knows something else could completely side swipe us.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It seems there's alot of conflict about the seriousness of the outbreak.

Lakshmi, who is currently in the state to get a first hand assessment of the culling operations, did not find adequate health infrastructure to combat the bird flu threat. She criticised the state government for acting irresponsibly and lacking seriousness to fight the disease. There is no infrastructure, not even qualified doctors. We have sent pills and gear but the required equipment is not in place till date. They do not understand that this is an emergency situation and they should be prepared for it,” she added.

However the state Govenor doesn't seem to be to worried.

The state government, however, maintained that there has been no case of H5N1 virus infecting humans, and tried to play down its own figures of fever cases in Birbhum.

Oh and one must add a couplke comments for damage control purposes

There is no need to panic. We do not have any reports of humans being infected. Therefore, a few hundred fever cases means nothing,” said Sanchita Bakshi, state director health services.

Seriously, what's really going on?

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Although there is no confirmation as yet that this outbreak is the H5N1 virus, it should be noted that a flu epidemic does not need to be preceeded by the word 'bird' in order to be catastrophic. The pandemic of 1918 for example.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is definitely one story to watch. Info is always hard to get from areas like this though.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
It seems arcoding to this site the outbreak was on the 15th they tried to do their best not to let it evolve into this situation but it seems they failed.
www.xomba.com...
www.searo.who.int...
gamapserver.who.int...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Very interesting, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I'm not going to worry yet until it's decided whether it's H5N1 or just something like the flu. I live in a town of roughly 3500 people and we just had a stomach flu going around that afflicted about half the town,myself included. I think it's interesting that this is in an area with outbreaks of H5N1 though. Will be watching this closely.

Starred and flagged.

Simon

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul
Although there is no confirmation as yet that this outbreak is the H5N1 virus, it should be noted that a flu epidemic does not need to be proceeded by the word 'bird' in order to be catastrophic. The pandemic of 1918 for example.

The pandemic of 1918 was called Spanish flu, but it has been traced back to Asia and also found to have links to a bird like strain.

So they could probably have put the word bird in front of that outbreak as well, but for the lack of understanding at the time: they didn't.

I haven't seen anything in the news here in Hong Kong yet, which is strange because they usually jump all over stories of H5N1. It's all been about pigs at the moment. The price of pork has been going through the hoof.

Also I believe there was a confirmed human to human transmission in China.

My H5N1 thread from December07

MonKey

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I find it curious that the main stream media, which over-hypes virtually everything and profits off of hysteria, has not run with this story. It is definitely something to watch.

www.wsws.org...

The Bush administration’s emergency plan for a possible flu pandemic involves essentially police-state methods that have nothing to do with effectively combating the illness.

[edit on 23/1/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Didn't you guys hear? The only thing you have to do to protect yourself from the birdflu is to "keep getting your flu shots"...

I read, about 2-3 weeks ago, an article that stated people who have consistently received their flu shots have a better chance of being resistant to the avian strain than those who did not. Which to me is an oxymoron. Viruses mutate so much, especially the flu, we cannot keep up with them. So the notion that as long as you get your shot every year you will be ok seems to be a crap shoot. Yyou may be ok if the avian strain matches a strain you have already been vaccinated against. Impossible odds of that being the case. Of course, I am an advocate for not getting vaccinations, so I guess I am biased.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I had a little bird,
Its name was Enza.
I opened the window,
And in-flu-enza.

It sounds like a bad situation , These things spread fast and there is no telling where it will hit next , The birds are infected all over the world it can get anywhere, The Earth will cleanse it self the way it always does , By attacking humans and killing them one way or another , So be it,

YENKO

[edit on 23-1-2008 by yenko13]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Ummm........are we screwed? Were screwed right? Awww nuts. In Stephen King's The Stand it was a super flu that wiped out 99% of the world population in a week. Anyone who hasnt read it should. Its scary in a plausable could happen sort of way. Well if its not the flu it will be a meteor or terrorists or aliens or something,right? Life is terminal. Smokem if you gotem.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
They have tested 5 people and the results came back negative.

Human samples test negative for bird flu

It's happened before I guess with no reported human cases. Have they just been lucky?

In Birbhum district, two trucks carrying chickens bound for Jharkhand were detained on Tuesday at Nalhati as the government has banned movement of poultry from bird flu-affected districts.

I wonder how many they missed before the quarantine?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
It could be a case of mass hysteria but untill the whole area is checked we should stay tuned

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
These people cut the heads off chickens in their dirty streets, after all the bird flu you'd think they'd put 2 and 2 together and realize they need to clean up their filth before they kill themselves or the rest of the world.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join