It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTBREAK: 2000+ Have Fever In Bird Flu Hot Spot

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Drug-Resistant Flu Virus on the Rise

This winter's most common flu strain is showing resistance to the frontline anti-flu treatment, new data shows. More than 10% of virus samples taken in Western Europe this winter were resistant to oseltamivir, better known as Tamiflu, according to figures from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Nearly 10% of the samples in Canada were resistant too, according to national authorities there, and the U.S. found nearly 7% resistance. The number of resistant strains are still small overall, but the superbugs aren't evenly distributed around the world: In Norway, a staggering 75% of the 16 samples taken this winter were drug-resistant — enough to pull up Western Europe's average by about 8 percentage points.

Source

I know this is about the regular flu virus . But with the talk of avian taking on regular flu mutations . It seems the good o'l flu is doing some mutating pretty fast itself.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

[edit on 1-2-2008 by oLDWoRLDDiSoRDeR]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Pardon me if this has already been introduced. The numbers are astounding if you compare the rate of infection to death stats.

Cumulative Number of Confirmed Human Cases of Avian Influenza A/(H5N1) Reported to WHO

www.who.int...

[edit on 1-2-2008 by antar]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

India has put 26 people in isolation with bird flu symptoms and hundreds more people are being monitored, officials said on Friday as Pakistan and Thailand reported outbreaks of bird flu in poultry.

www.reuters.com...

Just ran across this. Seems to be the latest. I also heard that Indonesia had its 101st human bird flu case. Mutation will eventually happen. The only question is what will the virus gain or lose in the process?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hey guys I have been checking up and theres nothing new posted. Anymore news on the subject? If I find anything I will post it.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
So its been a month and all those crazy prediction of imminent death and destruction of the world are as usual just the paranoid talking. Nothing has happened, not one single human case so far and I may have won some money if people had taken me up on my bet.

Next time some third world country gets a pandemic we should not be in a hurry to dismiss them and their efforts as futile and and start booking coffin space at the local cemetery.

2000 people have the flu even in NY any given Spring. Does that mean we should call quarantine the city every spring ?

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Next time some third world country gets a pandemic we should not be in a hurry to dismiss them and their efforts as futile and and start booking coffin space at the local cemetery.

No third world country got a pandemic. If it had, the entire world would have followed. Even the most educated know that it's not IF it's WHEN. So stop running people down for keeping an eye out. 'Paranoia' as you call it has kept many a living creature alive. Because if the virus had jumped I'm sure we wouldn't be hearing your smart remarks. I will always WATCH inspite of people like yourself who preach Passivity. You are of the same mind as Israel, "Ignore it, and it will go away". Ignore is the root word of Ignorance.

posted on Feb, 8 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Agreed. Just because a pandemic has not happened does not mean it won't. Also, the comment about not one single human case is wrong. As has been stated on this thread several times, there were several more human deaths attributed to H5N1 in Indonesia this year.

I, too, will continue to watch and wait.

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No third world country got a pandemic. If it had, the entire world would have followed. Even the most educated know that it's not IF it's WHEN.

LOL. That statement shows you know even less to fuel peoples paranoia that those who are genuinely aware.

Do yo know that in the last 50 years how many pandemics have happened in India alone ? Is India a developed country ?? Apparently you take your ignorance as knowledge and have deluded yourself that the world is going to end real soon . There can never be enough proof for the paranoid. Thus, it is useless to prove to them otherwise.

Do you know how many people die of Tuberculosis in India every day ? 1000. one ever minute. Are you going to wait for a TB pandemic to ravage the human populace ?
Drug Resistant TB rampant in India
People like you spread fear and ignorance to others just to get yourself off on some "crying-wolf" complex. Just like this H5N1 paranoia, nothing happens in the end except wasted worry.

[edit on 10-2-2008 by IAF101]

posted on Feb, 10 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Just like this H5N1 paranoia, nothing happens in the end except wasted worry.

What is the 'end' that we've reached? We're at the beginning. The virus is actively jumping to people in Indonesia and has been for a while. The experts at WHO and CDC are concerned about this, but no, I should buy what some yahoo on a discussion board has to say.

I know you're just getting your 'There is no Wolf' fix here. I'm sure if it does go human to human you'll not be heard from again in this thread. Like I said, alot of us are here to WATCH and get the latest so we can stay abreast of the situation. I'm not sure what you're here for.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Apparently as long as somebody in the some distant land is suffering for some strange illness you are ready to scare people with your paranoia and prophecy of death and destruction . Thats as good as any other pass time I suppose.

However, I hate exaggeration and the mobs that are fed by the paranoid. And apparently, the Center for Disease Control in America is worried about what is going on in Indonesia while children were exposed to STAPH in America!

Yet another ridiculous waste of time for people too lazy to do any real work.

[edit on 11-2-2008 by IAF101]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Feb 12, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today reported that a 15-year-old girl from Indonesia is hospitalized in critical condition with an H5N1 avian influenza infection, a week after her mother's H5N1 illness was announced.

The girl, who is from West Jakarta, got sick on Feb 2 and was hospitalized 6 days later, according to a statement from the WHO. She is listed as Indonesia's 127th case-patient.

An investigation into the girl's illness is ongoing, though the WHO said she was exposed to her sick mother on Jan 27 and 28 and also spent time in a neighborhood where chickens and other birds were present. The WHO said samples from the birds have been taken to determine if they were the source of the girl's infection.

The girl's mother fell ill on Jan 23 and was hospitalized 3 days later. The WHO's Feb

See full article

It should be noted that it is too early to speculate whether the daughter contracted H5N1 from her mother (human-to-human transmission) or through contact with poultry in the neighborhood.

Since the Indonesian government does not carry out mass culling of infected birds (unlike neighboring countries), it is logical to expect more human H5N1 cases here than elsewhere in the region.

Those of us who recognize the potential threat of this virus will continue to monitor and report to this board.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I replied in another topic www.abovetopsecret.com...
that accepted findings on how Avian Flu spreads may need to be revisited.
Back in 2006 the accepted theory was that the avian flu receptors located on cell membranes were
only located in the lower (deep in the lungs) respiratory tract. This has a two fold effect, One is to
make it hard to initially infect, the other is once infected sneezing and coughing do not spread the virus
as easily, as that takes place mainly from the upper respiratory tract.

In 2007 further research shows that children may be infected much easier than adults, It was
unclear from the articles whether children could spread the virus even though they could be infected easily.
It might just be that children breath much deeper than adults? just a wag.

As far as Tamiflu, We have been told that Tamiflu is in short supply (hoarding by European Bunkers?)

Also that Tamiflu is becoming ineffective against the common varieties of Flu, ( hmm just what a person incharge of Tamiflu logistics would say to prevent Tamiflu from being demanded by every health maint organization in case of an outbreak)

Tamiflu (if it works as described) needs to be started within 48 hours of first symptoms to be effective.

Summary,

Avian Flu in its current form is hard to catch and spread for Adult Humans. Seems to be much easier for children to catch but spreading ease is not fully known. All it takes is for a mutation of H5N1 to allow infection in the upper respiratory tract to become the DINO FLU which likely wiped out the Dinosaurs, (pet theory).

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Several important facts are highlighted by this case.
1, Out of over 1000 initial reports of fever they blood tested 5.
That is a bit thin from my statistical point of view. If they did have a minority h5n1 outbreak, Oh lets say 50 % with h5n1 and 50 % with seasonal flue they probably would not know until the body count.

2, Expect panic in the general population. Everyone feeling a bit off will run for the doctor.

3, They were right in their initial evaluation this time.

The current plan is to test everyone with 5 days of fever. According to the following followup article.

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join