It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OUTBREAK: 2000+ Have Fever In Bird Flu Hot Spot

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

"these people"

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
A couple of scary things about H5N1 avian flu:

1. The healthiest individuals are more at risk than the young, old, or infirm. The immune system over-attacks the virus in the lungs, creating what's called a cytokine storm. Basically, your immune system destroys your lungs and you may die within eight hours of first contact with the virus. The better your immune system, the more likely you are to die should you come into contact with a human version of H5N1. Adults aged 20-40 can expect the highest fatalities.

2. The latest tracks of H5N1 suggest that the virus travels along economic lines. An outbreak in India, China or elsewhere in Asia will most likely research Europe and the Americas via international travel. Should the virus ever mutate to allow transmission from human to human, we would need to close down our airports and seaports almost immediately. Otherwise, despite our best warnings, we could little to avoid the first wave.

Recent history has shown that governments in southeast Asia, where avian flu first occurs, have been very lax in admitting an outbreak, often waiting weeks before confirming reports of illness. Such a lag time, in the event of a pandemic, would foil any and all efforts at global containment.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
WHO (World Health Organization) is coordinating the global response to human cases of H5N1 avian influenza and monitoring the corresponding threat of an influenza pandemic.

For more info use this link;
Avian influenza

I cannot prove this, but I have been told by a person (who knows about these things) that in his opion that human mutation of H5N1 is the largest threat to humanity, due to the expected death toll and economic destruction.

Anyway, most of you here already know that.

Eyeball.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AJ Lavender
A couple of scary things about H5N1 avian flu:

Recent history has shown that governments in southeast Asia, where avian flu first occurs, have been very lax in admitting an outbreak, often waiting weeks before confirming reports of illness. Such a lag time, in the event of a pandemic, would foil any and all efforts at global containment.

this is what i would be worried about, it seems that asia (and poss every country) is worried about economic implications of avian flu (whether or not carcases and live bodies test positive).
the op is very worrying indeed, but i fear we wont ever konw the truth of the matter unless avian flu is so obviously abound.
m x

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Bird flu outbreak nears Calcutta

The bird flu epidemic in the Indian state of West Bengal has inched closer to the capital, Calcutta, with an outbreak reported close to the city.

Tests on dead birds from Balagarh, less than a two-hour drive from Calcutta, have tested positive for the disease.

The H5N1 strain of bird flu is regarded as highly pathogenic and can also cause disease and death in humans.

Health experts have warned that the outbreak could get out of control.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Ironic....

Just last night on the car radio I heard an advertisement from one of our hospitals (medical sciences) offering some type of tests to young adults over the age of 16.
I wasn't really listening to the ad, I hear them from time to time regarding HIV, Herpes, depression, etc and they become a bit redundant after a while. But this one definitely mentioned the H5N1 Bird flu virus as the focus of the testing.

I found it weird, the Halifax area has a populous of around 350k (last time I heard), hardly a large testing area for vaccines or the like.

It was odd hearing them actually mention tests ( not in the diagnoses sense ) in regards to the Bug.

This may be a common occurrences in other areas, just thought it was a bit odd in my area.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Dreadful News Update!

BBC: Bird Flu Outbreak Nears Calcutta

-Experts in Bangladesh have warned that the outbreak of the virus is far worse than the government is reporting.

-"Bird flu is now everywhere. Every day we have reports of birds dying in farms"

-In most of the districts , the villagers were resisting culling of their backyard poultry.

-"Poultry is a major source of income for the poor villagers. It is not unusual for them to resist culling. So we have to persuade them rather than force them," said Manasa Hansda, a senior official of Birbhum, one of the worst-hit districts said.

-Things are now very serious and public health is [in] danger," he said, alleging that farmers were reluctant to report new cases.

-The problem is made worse because many poor and illiterate farmers are sometimes misinformed about basic hygiene.

-Health experts have warned that the outbreak could get out of control.

-If this spreads to Calcutta, there will be panic and chaos.

-The municipal authorities in Calcutta are not prepared for such a situation.

[edit on (1/24/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Birds has to die, because few years ago lot of insects(like bees) died mysteriously. I'm not saying this is ID or anything, but it is good that there will be fewer birds to eat out the last remaining polluters. If Darwin was right, mankind might only have about 4 years before extinction, if polluters would perish from this globe. This is, of course, just a thought from a very subjective perspective
It wouldn't make much harm if few erecting apes would die in process.

Diseases like these have always existed and they will because it's one of the nature's ways to make things even; question is how much damage mankind does to the whole complex system when it tries to find cure to all existing diseases? Because we have doctors and medicines, we will be forced to artificially reduce human volume - but it is ourselves to blame, because we could've been wiser and thought of birth control first. But no, even today we have some religious people trying to prevent birth control meanwhile they themselves do everything to prolong their lives over it's natural span.

There's also good money to medicine industry in this fearbusiness. Amongst the respectable laboratories that are really trying to invent cure, runs rampart a business of quack remedy whom abuse people fears (fear not) to make quick buck out of weak mind. If this influenza spreads, we will be seeing all kind of medicy, sold with most prosperous prices.

Good riddance, homo sapiens sapiens.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I really don't have any faith in the authorities in India claiming that no humans have tested positive in this outbreak. The teams culling the H5N1 positive birds are being admitted to hospitals with respiratory disorder and fever, 2000+ other people have unexplained fever, but they don't have Bird Flu...? Riiiight...

I predict this will be a national crisis in a week and go global soon after. Hey, look at the bright side... we won't have to worry about the collapsing economy or plasma shooting asteroids.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SoLaR513

I would love to read it, but might take over a week, and ive only got a 1 in 100 chance of finshing it then

Well bird flu is the last thing we wanted to here, but...

Fox

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

Great...yet another disease to worry about, wtf is happening to our world?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
well, for the first time my children brought home a booklet with about 12 pages or so about what do to for a flu pandemic. Soooo...even though I know these types of outbreaks have occured throughout history, having these sent home for the first time just makes me a little more concerned about the whole thing. I'm not launching into a conspiracy yet, but just gives me the shivers...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Have you guys seen the death rate of H5N1? It's like 60%!!!!! That is about the same death rate as "Marburg", or "Ebola Sudan".en.wikipedia.org...

This is a nasty freaking bug that kills most people that get it.

Also Dr. Deagle says that H5N1 is going to kill a large part of the Earth's population!!!! video.google.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Theres a chance this could be thre real deal.

The media in most places of the world is not very transperent, especialy when the goverment is involved in any shape or form.

A few thousand people getting sick in a large city during the winter is not the most unusal thing in the world, but the connection with brid flu needs to be determined.

Are people dying?

Is this being Transmited human to human...

I how this is just the case of a third world ocunrty being a highly populated Third worldd country, with just third world country conditions...

Lets hope it is not the manifistaion of the next killer of the humans...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

india is not a third world country, just to be predantic (sp)

www.mapsofworld.com...

as you can see its a lower middle income country which correct me if im wrong makes it a developing country.
m x

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Okay, this appears to be one of those "reading one thing, but seeing another" situations.

Consider the news carefully one more time:

• There's a human outbreak of fever, in the area that was Ground Zero for Bird Flu. The did not say there was an outbreak of fevers caused by Bird Flu.

• Bird Flu has spread to half of India's West Bengal State. IN BIRDS, not people.

The two news stories are unrelated, and misleading when paired together.

If there was suddenly thousands of fever outbreaks in Italy (ground zero for the Black Plague), would you then assume that the Black Plague had come back to strike Europe?

Finally, I feel compelled to mention that if H5N1 became capable of latching onto humans, it wouldn't be H5N1 anymore. It'd probably be H5N5, or something else, but that's kind of nitpicking. The N glycoprotein has to change so that it's "key" effectively fits our "lock".

Anyway, let's all calm down, and not work ourselves into a frenzy about a plague that hasn't happened yet. Is it a potential danger? Yes, but it's not happening right this minute.

• posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
    link   
    reply to post by thelibra

Excellent points. Let's reiterate that H5N1 transmission to humans is not being reported. Outbreaks of H5N1 among poultry are not uncommon in Asia, particularly this time of year. For transmission to humans, and among humans, requires the virus to undergo a couple of specific mutations.

While some, even in the scientifc community, are suggesting that avian flu in humans may result in a 60% death rate globally, we shouldn't accept these statistics as proven. Because H5N1 has yet to mutate into human transmissable form, no one knows just how it would behave.

It's possible the virus would mutate itself out of existence, as occurred with H1N1 during the flu pandemic in the early 20th century. it's possible that the virus would become so volatile (think Ebola) and kill so quickly that it would not allow the host to live long enough to act as a successful carrier.

We just don't know.

Check out my blog: Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:18 PM
    link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
    Also I believe there was a confirmed human to human transmission in China.
    MonKey

Is there any confirmation of this? This is the "straw" that will "break the camels back" so to speak if it's true.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:45 PM
    link   
    So if there will be a global outbreak and some scenario like in the movie I am Legend with Will Smith.Who is going to have the leading role?
    I think Obama could fit into that role, a man in a high ranking offical position.
    But i don`t know if he has a dog?If not he can take the dog from Bush when is going into Retirement.
    I hope he will save us...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 03:58 PM
    link   
    As horrific as it sounds maybe we need a nasty pandemic to sort out our overly large population. At least it would be a natural way to die, not like a war with feuds going on for generations.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join