It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increased Use of Video in Threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
In fairness, I've only been here a year - but I have noticed what I perceive to be an increase in the number of threads which have no opinion or input other than "have a look at this"
Some are blatantly promotional while others have little or no substance and rely purely on sensationalism to try and make you watch.

I believe that all types of media have something to offer and have a place on the boards.

Just because I like to actually read an article or op-ed doesn't mean everyone else does.

However, what I am focussing on here is the lack of opinion or accompanying commentary from a poster who puts a video up.

If you care enough to post a video, why not comment on it - post your thoughts and motivations for including the video - but the video should not be an argument or opinion in and of itself.

I sometimes question if this is due to the prevalence of TV as a medium and if it's just an easy way out.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yup i agree, i generally head straight back out of any thread that the OP doesnt take the time to offer thoughts or opinion on the subject they have raised.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I'm trying to be more forgiving, so I generally have a look at the vid

THEN I dismiss it out of hand

Seriously though,
I think it's a lazy way to try and get your point across - I mean, at least say whether you like it or not.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I have too agree with you guys, if the OP can't take the time to do a little write up on the video, nine times out of ten I will not take the time to watch the video or even reply.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
So, do you think we should take the time to educate members who do that as to the right way or more effective way (?) to get your point across?

Do you guys think that "just a video" has less value than a well thought out post?

Some would say that looking for and finding a video is research enough, and that the video speaks for itself - and for their opinion.
The expression of a persons opinion is a video.

Is this a viable medium?

Well, not to me I'm afraid - although I have respect for "moving pictures"
I still prefer the written word.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I think, and this is just my opinion, that just posting a video with out any sort of intro should get tagged, similar to a one liner.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Sauron, thats probably fair enough.
The thing is the video or pictures or anything else should just be a tool used to complement a well thought out and written OP containing a personal viewpoint imo.
As far as educating members budski, i personally dont see that as my place, i figure there are enough staff to do that unless i believe the OP would take the criticism constructively (if that were the case i'd probably do it via u2u).

mojo

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Agreed

"Wattauthink" posts should be trashed the minute they show up, and if the poster repeat such, say three times, it should be a ban.

I've been here 18 month and I too have noticed the decline in well written posts and OPs.

To me it it seems the owners with their "family-site" orientation are atracting illitterates, and sure just within the last year a decline in quality has taken place which I find regrettable.

edit to add:
I don't think music videoes nessecary need comments, just a minimum of title and artist.

[edit on 22/1/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Your supposed to do this anyways (if you see this a lot maybe it is a lack of moderation on this kind of thread). But... hmm... do you have to comment on BTS threads?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Sometimes though, there are situations where the video alone must be left to speak on it's own behalf. I think as long as a fairly descriptive title and the poster's thoughts are applied to the video, it should be fine. After all, it takes away from the video's effect if you could just read the entire content in a caption underneath. It can kill the punchline of a joke too.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
That's a fair point, but I'm referring to the vids which just go "WOW, LOOK AT THIS - MUST SEE"
With no thoughts, opinions or anything else.

On a side note, I watched one of the new ATS premium vids last night and it was excellent.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
People who make posts and CONSTANTLY rely on video without providing a reasonable summary of same are simply lazy, IMO...

Many of us can't be arsed sitting thru a 90 min + video without at least a synopsis....All posting stuff like this does is make people like me read the OP, not watch the video and just ignore the post...Even if the title may have shown some promise...

If you're going to post video, plllllleeeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee post a couple paras telling us whats on it...Your posts will reach far more people that way

Thanks and peace

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
In the grand scheme of things what difference does it make anyway? Why not let the owners and mod's deal with it and we just pick and choose what we want to read?
How hard is it to just not read or look at a post we don't find interesting? Isn't that the best way to censor them? No replies and a post dies.

Before you slam me take a look at how long I have been a member. I don't post tons of material, just when I feel the need to, but I have been on here the entire time reading and posting when I have something to add.
It seems no one wants to get along on here anymore. Everyone wants their way to be the guideline for the rules and anyone who is different gets trounced on.

Lighten up a little.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think the point is that for many, just posting a video usually gives you no idea if it's even worth watching.

Like mojo said, if I see a thread with a headline, a video and nothing else, I don't bother watching - so when people post like this, they are more often turning people off a thread rather than raising interest or awareness.

I'm not being a snob about it, and people can post whatever they like - it's just an observation, which is what the BBQ board is for, no?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rilence

I agree. I never watch the 90 minute videos on the NWO and Illuminati history anymore. Been there, done that. But, if the video is 5 minutes long and has something that will catch my eye right away in the title, I'll try to watch it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i find that a verbose, long winded and drawn out description to accompany an already verbose and drawn out video is superficial.

If you need to see some type of commitment from an OP when they make a post, it's YOUR fault for lacking interest, not theirs.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm not asking for verbosity - just some thoughts on why the video was posted and some impressions or opinions.

With a site the size of ATS, I think that video needs some justification before I look at it.

Even if I don't agree with an opinion about a vid, I'll watch if the person has made the effort to comment and explain their reasoning for posting it.

I don't want "War and Peace", I just want an indicator before I look - this means I don't have to waste my time if it doesn't interest me and can move on to other topics.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

do you agree with anything.

no one suggested long drawn out "verbose" posts, just a bit of personal opinion or commentary to accompany posts containing video's.
maybe its YOUR fault!!

[edit on 23/1/08 by mojo4sale]

top topics

join