It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s Largest Supercollider Could Destroy the Universe

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ironclad

But, a black hole doesn't start out as a singularity.

Black holes are the product of a collapsing star that is really quite large and the contents of that star continue to collapse until the contents, succumbing to its own gravity compress into a singularity, although I'm not sure that a singularity is the exact word.

Everything we know, including space itself theoretically burst forth from a singularity.

Can the universe be full of singularities?

At any rate, can these black holes created in colliders that exist for only nanoseconds really begin a chain reaction that would swallow the entire universe, when all the naturally formed black holes have not succeeded in doing so?

[edit on 2008/1/14 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
At any rate, can these black holes created in colliders that exist for only nanoseconds really begin a chain reaction that would swallow the entire universe, when all the naturally formed black holes have not succeeded in doing so?

[edit on 2008/1/14 by GradyPhilpott]

One way to find out...press the 'on' switch.
Isnt CERN doing their thing this March? It will be interesting to learn what they discover from this. (I personally highly doubt we are going to be sucked into oblivion by a mini black hole, the size of a dime or smaller, created in the collider.) Again, Im a producer and this makes for a great movie plot. - fear & drama...(well guess life is one virtual movie as thats most of what we have...fear & drama. hehehe)

Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
What if this is all a lie, they made this machine so people think that we humans discover antigravity and mini black hole and also make a theory that explain everything but who realy are behind these are really the Aliens.

No realy, I have been doing my own research on this matter, and I have came to one conclusion. Nothing is going to happen, no time machine is going to develope and mini black hole are not going to be created.

They have 6 experiments and all of them are trying to see if The Standar Model is right. They are trying to prove themself that they are right. Just like they try to prove Einstein was right.

Been right is very importan in Sciens and Physics.

They brain wash me.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
the funny thin g about it is that even if they succeed at destroying the universe , well you wont know about it

Too true but 16 billion years from now some being on some planet far far away will be theorising about the big bang......

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
reply to post by scepticsRus

I think you might be wrong there..

All Black holes are microscopic!!!

Not really! According to general relativity, a black hole's mass is entirely compressed into a region with zero volume, which means its density and gravitational pull are infinite, and so is the curvature of space-time that it causes. These infinite values cause most physical equations, including those of general relativity, to stop working at the center of a black hole. So physicists call the zero-volume, infinitely dense region at the center of a black hole a "singularity".

The singularity in a black hole is a point, in other words it has zero length, width, and height.

But there is an important uncertainty about this description: quantum mechanics does not allow objects to have zero size—so quantum mechanics says the center of a black hole is not a singularity but just a very large mass compressed into the smallest possible volume. At present there is no well-established theory that combines quantum mechanics and general relativity; and the most promising candidate, "string theory" also does not allow objects to have zero size.

Therefore, black holes are divided into several size categories - from the
Supermassive black holes that contain millions to billions of times the mass of the sun that are believed to exist in the center of most galaxies including our own Milky Way, right down to Micro black holes.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
[edit on 14/1/08 by watapi]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
OLD NEWS......... I WORKED ON A SUPER COLLIDER IN TEXAS THAT WAS 30 MILES IN DIAMETER.....

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
I wouldn't worry much.

The risk is calculated at about 10 to the minus 40 - a 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 chance.

So, in theory there would be more chance of simultaneous bombing attacks on the London underground, whilst drills for these exact scenarios were being prepared and played out...(1 in 10 (followed by 43 zero's) chance)

So again, in theory, the risk of something going majorly tits-up is 100,000 times more likely than those events on 7/7

Just something to ponder...

[edit on 14-1-2008 by drunknmunky]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
this super collider was featured in the book Angels and demons by dan brown. same size. same location same factual organization. worlds largest machine

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by a-stupid-dvd-case

Good book - but to be honest there is no mystery about that connection, how long have they been building / planning that thing? And when was that book written?

Was a good read though - the ending was a bit odd.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Already a thread about this same topic started in 2007.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Compare the odds.

1x10 to the 40th power vs a super meteor hitting the earth (1 in 20,000) or any number of daily risks we take...
Go worry about something important like saving for retirement....

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The John Titor story is a hoax for the simple reason that computers TODAY don't have a problem with the 2038 UNIX time problem. All known Unix variants today (Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris etc) use an 64-bit timer.

posted on Mar, 12 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
"Black hole" is a bit of a misleading term. "Singularity" would be more accurate. One particle will collide with another particle with so much momentum; the kinetic energy will force them to occupy the same space. Technically, because there is more than one particle occupying the same space, it is the same as a black hole. But unlike conventional black holes, these little ones are not made by gravitational force, but are actually created by impact.
There will not be any extraordinary gravitational force produced. Because there will be two particles in one space, that one space will have twice the amount of gravity that one particle would have and no more.
These little "black holes" will not be sucking anything into them... even if another particle or two were to get close enough to the event to be attracted to it, they couldn't add to the singularity.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Anyone know when the LHC is going to be switched on?

I looked at their web page and don't see a date.

The last I heard was that it was on scedule to be turned on this month.

posted on Mar, 13 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by drunknmunky

The only problem with that theory is that 7/7 was no coincidence

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
I feel certain of something. There is only one type of research that governments spend insane amounts of money on.

weapons research

Well now why did you have to go and say that Indy

At the start of this thread I was pretty nervous. After a bit I gots me a little scared
As I usually do when I think that overwhelming blackness is out to get me again!

Then it became clear these microscopic, wheeny massed, not black enough to be black, dots, really were not a threat at all. But i'm thinking its small stature can be inflated with a steady injection of tax payer fuel

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Wow just liek Dan Browns book angels and Demons Cool stuff it is...

good ole Antimatter, powerful and scary.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper
"Black hole" is a bit of a misleading term. "Singularity" would be more accurate. One particle will collide with another particle with so much momentum; the kinetic energy will force them to occupy the same space. Technically, because there is more than one particle occupying the same space, it is the same as a black hole. But unlike conventional black holes, these little ones are not made by gravitational force, but are actually created by impact.

no
you are misslead since black holes are not in fact an appearance of large mass but an appearance of large (energy)density
those ones probably created at the cern are infact black holes (energy arrangements dense enough to impose an event horizon)

but density alone, yet sufficent to create the event horizon is not enough to overcome the other absolute forces present on earth, therefore a larger mass would be needed

those black holes as stated here before are mass attracting but the significant radius of "domination" over other forces is so tiny that thos bhs could even fly through an atom between the core and the electron cloud not even moving them (since the electromagnetic forces of those are much larger)

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
in case anyone is interested or just in the area, CERN will open it's doors to the public on april 6th so that you can visit and see the large hadron collider for yourself.

more information here

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join