It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World’s Largest Supercollider Could Destroy the Universe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Just in case it hasn't been mentioned yet:

CERN postulates that the mini black holes will be evaporated with Hawking radiation. Hawking Radiation is purely theoretical and has not been proven to exist.

Enjoy the next few months, please and thank you.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
This reminds me of the technology 'John Titor' was talking about and I do think a lot of you are reading into it way way to much but at the same time I don't if that makes sense ?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spaxz
Very interesting concept on the black holes! I believe this experiment will bring forth new understandings about ourselves and the universe, but if your worries are true then maybe this is a new 2012 idea of what might take place. ie the black holes grow untill it devours the planet by 2012? who really knows but all we can do is sit back and watch.

What most people don't realize is that the world we live in is constantly being recreated, with black holes constantly occuring and evaporating. Black holes are like negative space of the space-time continuum. They don't exist per se, but are where the space-time continuum falls into void.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I hope we don't piss ET'S off when and if they make a black hole. They will come down here and open up a can of whoop ass on them.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Man, I GOTTA chime in on this!

Here's how I look at it. If you took the earth and compressed it until fussion naturally occurred, you'd only have a spheroid the size of Manhattan island. To compress the same matter until it became a black hole, it would become the size of a soccer ball. The black holes created in this accelerator must be microscopic, indeed subatomic!

But in all honesty, if we did create them...how could we tell? Black holes are only detectable by the gama rays given off by the matter they eat. IF their mass is less than the matter they orbit, and assuming they can't eat waves how can we ever, ever detect them?

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Toelint]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I'm telling you John Titor predicted these events.

Enough of JT, I want to give you my personal opinion, its realy simple:

When the atoms or photon collide at speed of light, its going to create a mini shockwave most of us wont even feel it, but sensitive materials are going feel it. My biggest concern is going to be the magnetic poles, I don't know if they are going to be affected. If they are we might wable about few degrees, creating unstable earth and creating weather problems over the years to come.
If nothing happens to the magnetic poles, then my next concern what effects would have to the center of earth, will the after shock hit the center of the earh and bounce 10 time greater, then we diffently going to feel it and the affect of pole are deffintly going to wabble, creating huge weather problems.
Where do I get these theories, from The Butterfly Effect and NO that is nothe movie is based on a mathematical formula.
Here is wiki take en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
Maybe they need this amount of power for other things such as creating stargates or defense purposes. Makes me think of the Death Star from Star Wars. Until these guys can perfect time travel or a real crystal ball, it seems more like suicide when you don't know for sure. Michio Kaku says it's not a problem though. I guess he owns a Tardis?

According to John Titor's account, mini black holes made at the collider at CERN (I believe) were captured and two were used to power his time machine. If true, we WILL do these experiments since they have already happened at a future point. We must do these kinds of experiments to further our knowledge of the universe.

Now if only we can use science and technology to heal the world of greed and hate. Actually, that kind of government is called a technocracy.

The laws of nature prohibit our current state of existance from going on forever. So whether some outside force eradicates most of us, the earth spawns mass virii, or we do it to ourselves, the outcome is inevitable.

[edit on 1/13/2008 by pjslug]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
People, humans, aliens whoever, will never be able to produce a black hole.

Black holes are just theory anyway and not something we could even come anywhere close to creating EVER.

Makes me laugh, we cannot even feed poor kids in some parts of the world and some ambitious scientists think they can create little universes.

These kind of theories are usually attached to grant forms which equal money for making the attempt but making black holes will simply never be.

IMO of course

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
The BBC did a show called END DAY where it predicted different endings to the world and humanity and scarily enough featured a particle accelerator

Are they trying to tell us something.

Could this happen ?

it scares the crap out of me !!!

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I think this is totally cool, cant wait to see what they discover.
Get your rocket ready for another planet if they mess it up though.

Peace

dAlen

note: I think the concerns are blown out of proportion.
What size a black hole will they create? Something the size of a dime.

Seems like this stuff is good for fiction films, but in practicality they pose little or nor risk (at least not on the scale that science fiction writes about.)

[edit on 13-1-2008 by dAlen]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by theapolloprogramwasahoax
Are they trying to tell us something.

Could this happen ?

it scares the crap out of me !!!

Yeah, telling us not to stand by the place protesting when it happens.

Seriously, good science fiction, it should be left at that - nothing to fear.

- peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
No problem here, Black holes and wormholes on this scale are all around us all the time. And even if we did create a large enough black hole it's nothing a billion other intelligent species haven't done before so I guess we're following the trend.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
In 1992, I completed the first adiabatic reactor (a desktop sized particle decelerator that merged particles at extremely close to absolute zero using lasers and electromagnetic degeneracy) with support from the Canadian government. The project was stopped by that same government due to the risk of creating microscopic black holes and I had to agree with them. The project had other benefits in the analysis of BEC's matter reconfiguration and energy generation, but the risks far outweighed the benefits. After the creation of a black hole, any failure within the reactor would predicate a catastrophic event. One that had a very high probability of releasing the miniature singularity to find its closest secondary gravitational center, that being the earth's core. Since black holes, regardless of size are glutinous little beasts, we know what happens next.

There are two problems with the CERN proposal; Hawking has stated that the Hawking Radiation theory of evaporating black holes was a mistake. The second problem is the risk factor to the population, they should build it in space away from the planet to reduce the potential damage.

Astronomers have been picking up perturbations around star systems that indicate planets of our mass or slightly larger, but that can't be seen. Is it possible, that these are "collapsed' planets where whatever civilization inhabited them developed the same technology, believing everything would be ok but wasn't? Who knows and of course should something go wrong, we will never know either. Consumption of the planet via a black hole, depending on initial size/mass could take anywhere from 18ms to 7 minutes.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by AcesInTheHole

Aw, there's no need to worry. Black holes lose matter through the emission of energy via a process discovered by Stephen Hawking. Black holes that cannot attract matter, such as those that might be produced at the LHC will shrink, evaporate and disappear in a fraction of a second.

The smaller the black hole, the faster it vanishes. If microscopic black holes were to be found at the LHC, they would exist only for a fleeting moment. They would be so short-lived that the only way they could be detected would be by identifying the products of their decay.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by watapi

Aw, there's no need to worry. Black holes lose matter through the emission of energy via a process discovered by Stephen Hawking. Black holes that cannot attract matter, such as those that might be produced at the LHC will shrink, evaporate and disappear in a fraction of a second.

That is just a theory. Hawking has been wrong before, why are we always so quick to accept theory as fact?

We are messing with the most destructive force known to man. Maybe we shouldn't worry about it, but that doesn't mean that nothing can go wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reading things like this just takes me back to what I have believed and SEEN over my 49 years, "The smarter men become, the more dangerous things become. Add to that, there is NOTHING worse than and educated fool.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

True, it is only a theory, but then it's easily acceptable and not far-fetched.

Let's look at it from another angle. Accelerators recreate the natural phenomena of cosmic rays under controlled laboratory conditions. Cosmic rays are particles produced in outer space by events such as supernovae or the formation of black holes, during which they are accelerated to energies far exceeding those of the LHC.

Cosmic rays travel throughout the Universe, and have been bombarding the Earth's atmosphere continually since billions of years. The LHC's energy although powerful for an accelerator, is quite modest by Nature's standards.

Since the much higher-energy collisions provided by Nature for billions of years have not harmed the Earth, there is no reason to think that any phenomenon produced by the LHC will do so.

Cosmic rays also collide with the Sun, Moon, and the Planets without any apparent damage. The total number of these collisions is huge compared to what is expected at the LHC. Though the total energy in each beam of protons in the LHC is said to be equivalent to a train travelling at 150 km/hour, only an infinitesimal part of this energy is released in each particle collision - roughly equivalent to the energy of clapping hands. The LHC is designed to concentrate this energy into a minuscule area on a subatomic scale. But even this capability is insignificant compared to what Nature achieves routinely in cosmic-ray collisions.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I guess I'd say a few thing --
1. The Supreme Being is all powerful -- nothing will happen unless or until it is time (karmicly) for such an event. If it is time, then who cares by what physical mechanisms it is manifests?

2. There have been statements made from "Scientists" from JPL or where ever, that, in all likelihood, black holes don't exist. Opinions and perhaps truth, leak out and are quickly undermined, from time to time. There is a lot of fantasy physics that claim this or that. Tesla said something to the effect that those people created a lot of equations that go round and round and said nothing. The bankers (Illuminati) needed Tesla's inventions, but not his efforts to promote a "true Science" utopia. So to counter him they came up with the mad scientist on one side an Einstein on the other. There where a lot of Physicists in the shadows of Tesla who's envy was enormous and sided with Einstein and became the "Elitists" gaining instant credibility and ever superiority to Tesla in their minds and via the propaganda system, the minds of many people. This went on hand in hand with money to the Universities. Some of Einstein "Ideas" proceeded him. But light as a constant and the highest speed is really stupid and the idea of folded space is yet another. But I'm not a scientist so feel free, if you like, to consider me just not qualified to understand such things.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This fear has been floating around ATS for quite some time and so far nothing discernable has happened.

/2xm7nd

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by scepticsRus

I think you might be wrong there..

All Black holes are microscopic!!!

Infact, all black holes are the size of a singularity (the smallest denominator we know of).

When ppl see a black hole in space, they are seeing the event horison & the dust/particles that are being drawn to it. But the black hole its self is a singularity.

So, really, there is no such thing as a mini black hole & these things they may create have the potential to pretty much desrtoy everything around them..

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join