It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Want to know who is peeking into your computer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Just a little background on myself..
I'm a small time network admin... my part time job is simply to keep the network up and running for a very small college... still it can be a major challenge what with the computer skills kids have these days...

anyway part of my job is to set up blocks to keep bad people out of our system... to do that I run this tracker to see who has been trying to gain access...I capture their IP address and the program does a quick whois to see who they are... sounds simple right? well it is and isn't but not a day goes by that I dont know who attempted to peek into my computers...

the people peeking may surprise you...
dont take my word for it here's a screen shoot of this mornings report.
Saturday 5 2008 time stamp is from just after 1 am until just after 5 am

it was a slow night normally I get several pages for the same time frame...

If the Picture doesnt disply click this link to see the report

[edit on 5-1-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
hi there ,

thanks , but you havent told us how to get this info ??

your title says "want to know who is peeking into your computer "

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Exactly, you've told us who is peeking into YOUR computer and not really anything else.

Please elaborate. Many thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
hi there ,

thanks

snoopyuk

Exactly...i think your information very interesting...but as you state in the topic name...how could we do that?

Thx

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I agree, I don't see anything that supports the title of this thread.

But again, the best way to fully secure yourself from attacks is probably to disconnect the internet.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
judging by what has been said, that looks like the activity of many computers connected to one network, and also could be outgoing traffic, not only incoming. ( not much to tell from the snapshot ). by to let someone into your computer you have to have a program that acts as a host.

Start > Run > type: cmd...
type in: netstat -b ( depends on the OS and SP )

that should give you a list of programs that are connected to the net and listening ports.

or you could just get a program to do all that for you as shown above.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoopyuk
hi there ,

thanks

snoopyuk

Sorry Snoop I forgot not everyone will see the attached Image...
I added a link to the report so you can view it for yourself...

Now if you want to do it on your own that's a little above most computers users and well outside this forum...

However if you want to protect yourself form known governments, hacker groups and other ne'er-do-Weill's you can download and use PeerGuardian 2
its a free open-source program and the block list is compiled and updated daily...This too gives a report on who and when someone attempts to access your computer...but only from a pre-set list of bad guys... still its better than nothing right? sorry all there's still no Vista version...MS is still protecting it's source code and Vista is so buggy its a major pain to write stable code for it

[edit on 5-1-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Check out the incoming connections log on your firewall, and also checkout any intrusion detection logs...

This will have the IP addys where someone has made an attempt to connect your PC...

Personally, I don't worry bout just the plain ole incoming connection logs, concentrate on those that your firewall deemed a threat...

But that's only if you're really keen...

As long as you keep your AV software and virus definitions up to date automatically with your firewall software, you should be peachy against anyone who tries a sneaky on you...

That being said the only other danger to your security is you...Don't click on websites unless you know for sure they dont end up in you downloading a sus file...When you mouse over a link, check the address that comes up for the link, if it ends in .exe, or .vbs...

Don't click it...There are some other example of what not to click, but it is 2.3am and I'm knackered

Same goes for email, careful with attachments...Never click on attachments sent by people you don't know, and even then be careful with those sent by folks you do...

Up to date antivirus and firewall software and just plain common sense when browsing and using email will protect you as well as 4 rubbers in one go on a steamy night in Manila

Peace

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I use Peer Guardian 2 and I don't see how you were able to get a list like that. To have all of those networks looking at you at the same time seems a little hard to believe. I get AOL when I log onto CNN, Macrovision once in a while as well, but to have your whole list filled up with those at one time is just too hard to believe. Unless of course you just took a screencap of one of your bloked IP lists.

new topics

top topics

join