It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Reincarnation is real, was Buddha the reincarnated Jesus?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I've wondered this alot. But it goes alot further than the thread title. If Buddhist Reincarnation is real, and an accurate assessment for what happens after death, who is this character throughout history who is always the most important of prophets, sometimes with super abilities compared to regular man?

You have numerous depictions of Jesus healing people and performing feats. You have stories of Moses turning his Rod into a snake with God power, etc. You have stories of the original Buddha having the ability to levitate, or fly. You have the stories of Mohammad and the stories given him by an angel. There has always been this .. person .. who despite the age and time period, has something utterly unique about them; a religion maker, a true understander of ultimate wisdom and God and/or the hereafter, or the process of the soul.

I'm just offering up the question, what if these were all the same being in spirit or soul. None existed at the same time, that is the thing. All lived at different times, so the reincarnation, or the repeated entry into our World from the Hereafter of one being could technically be responsible for all of these "people" being so significant throughout history; it could've all been the same guy.

When reincarnated, you dont have intimate knowledge of your previous existence on Earth, or elsewhere. Some claim to get bits of past life ... but never anything significant. They might claim to be a particular person from the past and name them but, that is just madness IMO. So it makes perfect sense that this being may have had no intimate knowledge that they were indeed the reincarnated soul into a new flesh of that same being. Thus, according to the time period, their surroundings and upbringing and society and so forth, the person would come out a little different each time, even if the CORE TENETS, the very basic foundational tenets that each of them taught were the same you see. I just wanted to serve this up for thought.

[edit on 12/27/2007 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
You may want to check your timeline, but I think you're on the right track.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   

And the disciples asked him, saying, "Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?"

But he answered them and said, "Elijah indeed is to come and will restore all things. But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also shall the Son of Man suffer at their hand."

Then the disciples understood that he had spoken of John the Baptist."

Matt 17:10-13
Source

[edit on 27-12-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
well,

Moses was like .. some thousands of years B.C.

Jesus was born around 33 B.C.

Mohammad was born in the 6th century I believe, A.D.?

The original Buddha, Siddhārtha Gautama, was born .. *checks wiki*

from wiki..

Conception and birth

According to tradition, Siddhārtha was born more than 200 years before the reign of the Maurya king Aśoka (273–232 BCE).

Siddhartha was born in Lumbini[1]and raised in the small kingdom or principality of Kapilvastu, both of which are in modern day Nepal. Culturally, these can be considered part of the broader region of Ancient India. [6] His father was King Suddhodana[citation needed], the chief of the Shakya nation, one of several ancient tribes in the growing state of Kosala; Gautama was the family name. His mother, Queen Maha Maya (Māyādevī) and Suddhodana's wife, was a Koliyan princess. On the night Siddhartha was conceived, Queen Maya dreamt that a white elephant with six white tusks entered her right side[citation needed], and ten lunar months later Siddhartha was born from her right side (see image right).[citation needed] As was the Shakya tradition, when his mother Queen Maya fell pregnant, she returned to her father's kingdom to give birth, but after leaving Kapilvastu, she gave birth along the way at Lumbini in a garden beneath a sal tree.

Okay, no conflicts so far. Heh.

Oh yes, I forgot, what is L. Ron Hubbard's birthdate? Just joking!

[edit on 12/27/2007 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I came across this after reading your post.

The Urantia Book

FINAL ADMONITIONS AND WARNINGS

1. LAST WORDS OF COMFORT

p1953:3 181:1.1 When the eleven had taken their seats, Jesus stood and addressed them: "As long as I am with you in the flesh, I can be but one individual in your midst or in the entire world. But when I have been delivered from this investment of mortal nature, I will be able to return as a spirit indweller of each of you and of all other believers in this gospel of the kingdom. In this way the Son of Man will become a spiritual incarnation in the souls of all true believers.

If all the people you are talking about came before Jesus then your theory might be correct.

Peace

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Buddha lived 400 years before Jesus Christ.

But yes, they were the same entity.

I have a list of several more names (but not all-inclusive by any means) but I'll have to post it later.

Joshua and Joseph are on that list, I can tell you off the top of my head.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

again, check your title. for buddha to be the reincarnated jesus, buddha would have to be born AFTER jesus.

now, was jesus the reincarnated buddha? that title would make sense.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
right on.

but i think everyone knows what I meant.

i figured someone would catch that eventually.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Reincarnation is, while I personally believe in it, something that really can't be proven or disproven. You either believe in it, or you don't. Now there are textual references to it from a variety of sources, but there has not been any substantiated proof of it..

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
True, but the same can be said of any religion. It's all about that annoying little thing called faith.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ok this one doesn't need much fire added but I can't resist.

4. REINCARNATION:1 a : the action of reincarnating : the state of being reincarnated b : rebirth in new bodies or forms of life; especially : a rebirth of a soul in a new human body 2 : a fresh embodiment

Matt 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.
(John the Baptist being the reincarnation of Elias, from Hebrew ElIyAh
: ELIJAH)

It seemed to be a common belief at that time. He also asked and now I forget exactly: "Who do they say I am"

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Big "IF". Is reincarnation real? I have no idea. I sure have no memory of a past life, but then I'm not sure I remember where I put my car keys. I've seen some pretty strong anecdotal evidence for the possibility of reincarnation, and just the fact I haven't been reincarnated (or don't remember) is neither here nor there.

So IF reincarnation is real, then I see no reason why it's not possible for a soul to have been both Buddha and Jesus.

But I have no compelling reason to believe it to be the case.

Here's one view you might find interesting- Reincarnation: A Christian Critique of a New Age Doctrine.

Maybe you'll find it interesting, and maybe not, but it's all on line to be read for free. So it's got that going for it. Read Chapter 4 about reincarnation and the early Christian church, for example. I'm not endorsing any particular view, mainly because I flat don't know.

Want to really get your head spinning, check out this Gnostic site. It's Biiiiig. Shouldn't take more than 10 years or so to get through it.

[Edit to move stuff around for clarity. I hope.]

[edit on 12/27/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Well said.
I don't know either (and I am proud of it ; )). Nobody does.
But I do have my doubts about reincarnation. I think that the apparent extraneous "memories" that some people present possibly flow from the common pool of knowledge and consciousness (think Sheldrake, for example, or Jung, if you prefer). In other words, the mechanism at play is possibly the same as with mediums: people pick up images, memories, dreams, experiences - and because they are necessarily subjective, they (the "mediums") sometimes feel them at an emotional level, which is then interpreted as their own experience. And the less "sophisticated" such a medium is - a child, for example - the more likely it becomes for such memories to be interpreted as THEIR personal experiences.

I'll say this much: some of my most beautiful and most cherished memories are not even mine.
It's true.

I don't know where they came from, or why, but they are not MINE.
I preserve them with the utmost care and respect, because they were clearly dear and precious to someone. So I treat them as I would treat borrowed books or silver: I take a peek now and then, just so they don't lose their luster, and remove dust, so that they are kept in perfect condition. ; )

As to the original question: there is no need for Jesus to be Buddha reincarnated, certainly not in the sense of two specific individuals. I mean, the Holy Spirit (or the Universal Spirit , if you prefer) was active in both of them (I assume) - as it can be active in anyone, if we let It.
The point of Christianity - and of other main religions, too - is precisely to make people aware that they, too, are vessels for the Spirit, and to teach them how to "empty" themselves (by means of absolute faith), so that the Spirit (or the Light of God, or whatever you call it) can flow unhindered through them.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Consider a rope made of many colorful threads. You unwind it, separate the threads and weave a new rope. Is the resulting rope the same?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Beyond the time line issues Jesus didn't die...he rose from the dead three days after the crucifiction and ascended to heaven after appearing to many people. When he returns the next time it will be known to every living soul in no unmistakable way!

There all many peace loving teachers but only one God.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Is the resulting rope the same?

Yes.

Consider the same rope unwound and placed in a box with thousands of other strands. That process goes on for centuries with different ropes. 600 years later a new rope is woven with strings from the box, having all the same characteristics of the original rope.

Is that resulting rope the same?

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I don't know about the "cellular memory" theory that you are basically referring to. It has never rang true for me, but, hey, that's just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
Consider a rope made of many colorful threads. You unwind it, separate the threads and weave a new rope. Is the resulting rope the same?

Well said.

My personal opinion is no, not really.
And if you add a few extra threads, then you have a totally new rope altogether.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by Vanitas

I don't know about the "cellular memory" theory that you are basically referring to. It has never rang true for me, but, hey, that's just my opinion.

No, no - I am not referring to "cellular memory" (which may exist, for all I know).

I am speaking of the "collective unconscious", if you will - or the "morphogenetic field" (Sheldrake), which I personally prefer to Jung's definition, not least because it dovetails with my personal experiences.

Basically, you can get any data you want (and often whether you want them or not ; )), because it's all out there.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by Vanitas]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Something makes me say no.

Idk why, but it's just a No.

The way I see/look at it is..for each race..i'd say or time period..

in the heavens..

jesus:
"hey man..is it my turn yet?"

high elite god:
"no jesus, you already had your turn, buddha's turn, his time to go be reborn on earth and set up his religion"

buddha:
"time to show them the way of enlightenment! later jesus"

jesus:
"awh man! but i got killed before I could do everything! I want a second try!"

Both high elite god and buddha:
"No."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join