It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texan 'hero' shoots and kills burglars

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Speaking of which, that's something you criminal rights supporters never seem to think about. Who is to say that these guys, if left alone, wouldn't have killed or raped someone later during a burglary? One would have to think that these guys, seeing as they are already willing to commit a crime (in broad daylight no less), were quite likely to end up eventually hurting someone who they broke in on, if that haven't already that is.

J

You have no evidence of this, and no reason to believe this aside from your own prejudice. This is horribly flawed logic and can't hold up to any true scrutiny.

Theres also no evidence they wouldnt...his prejudice comes from the fact these CRIMINALS were already breaking the law. Whats to stop them there if they were to succeed.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by ATruGod]

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadFlagBlues

I doubt it heavily. It's more likely that allowing cases like this to pass would lead to more vigilante justice, and more violent crime in response to minor crimes. If anything we'd see a huge rise in violence.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Well said. The man was obviously justified to act, even though murder may have been a little extreme. People don't seem to understand that acts like burglary are habitual by nature because of most state punishments and the probability of being caught are low because not enough people take immediate action. Two habitual offenders off the street and another one who will sit in a cell contemplating his actions for the rest of his life. I don't see any flaw here, other than the death of two men.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Death and defense are 2 different things. One time you said defend, another time you said death. Minus a few words huh? Yeah how about the most important ones.

So now you are coming out and saying it, you weren't before.

And you are once again being relative. Still saying a slap on the wrist.
Firstly, what would have happened through the courts? (I know you can't answer that by the way).

Second, you are assuming. If you are going to kill someone, you'd better get the facts and not just assume.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Fortunately it's illegal to prosecute people for things they *might* do in the future. Otherwise we'd all be in a lot of trouble.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
In Florida, you have the right to shoot anyone if you think that they are threatening your life in any way.

I would have done the same thing if they would have broken into my house, but not a neighbors house. I would have probably shot them, but not to kill. Just to stop them from getting away. A Good example on why killing people that break into your home is a good idea is the recent death of Sean Taylor, of the Washington Redskins, who was killed by a burgler that broke into his home.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_b

Theres a huge difference between defending your own house which I have no problem with and going from the safety of your own house to murder two people in someone elses property, especially when you have already phoned the police.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_b

Yes, feeling threatened and killing someone in your house is perfectly acceptable.

What this Texan hillbilly did however is not.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
2 counts of 1st degree murder. Give the guy 25 years to life

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Who are you to predetermine what would or wouldn't happen? The "control" method of police have seemingly failed us, as we are the leading nation in violent crime. If that man wouldn't have stepped in, the perpetual cycle of crime would have made it's rounds in another neighborhood. Robbery, burglary, and other relevant crimes are "habitual" if unchecked, as most others. Though relating with easy money, thieves will always revert to robbing the innocent as a means to "live."

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I find all of your posts so far pretty presumptuous. Who's to say he wasn't a regular older man that was sick of watching his community being lifted by a bunch of career criminals? Like I keep repeating, we don't know anything surrounding the situation other than this little newsclip. We were not in this man's shoes and instead of passing trivial little judgements on him, we should reserve our opinions until we know exactly what happened. Leave your petty little comments out of the discussion until we find out the details of the case.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I find all of your posts so far pretty presumptuous. Who's to say he wasn't a regular older man that was sick of watching his community being lifted by a bunch of career criminals? Like I keep repeating, we don't know anything surrounding the situation other than this little newsclip. We were not in this man's shoes and instead of passing trivial little judgements on him, we should reserve our opinions until we know exactly what happened. Leave your petty little comments out of the discussion until we find out the details of the case.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Are you saying that your assumption that they would go on to kill someone is OK, but my refusing to assume isn't?

Wow.....

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I never said that.

Good try, though.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
Well done Texas, U.S.A.

Such inhumane, disgusting and immoral behaviour.

When you incorporate systems such as guns laws and the death penalty, you are telling society "in some cases it is perfectly okay to murder/kill another human being."

What then happens is that violence breeds violence. People take that message on board and commit attrocities such as 911, high school shootings and serial murders et al.

Remember, in some cases it is perfectly okay to murder/kill another human being.

Live by the sword die by the sword and all that jazz.

And to the dolt that mentioned that the parents of the victims, yes they are victims, should be blamed. Maybe you should take a step back my friend and take a damn good look a yourself. These 2 people that were murdered were victims before they broke in to anyone's home. Statistically these 2 people were probably let down by the system, as were their parents and theirs before them.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Even the good old God-fearing Texans would rather murder than forgive.

What a sad state of affairs.

I'm sorry did I engage anyone in personal attacks on this board?

These 2 people that were murdered were victims before they broke in to anyone's home.

Let's make a new law - If you feel let down by the world and have had a hard life you have exclusive right to trespass on and loot any property you see fit. Endangering the lives of the property owners is no longer relevant. No form of self defense will be tolerated.

Give me a break, who really needs the reality check here?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I completely agree that going from the safety of your own house to murder two burglers across the street is not right, especially after calling the police. However, I would be pained to just sit there and watch them get away with all my nieghbors crap and not do anything. I've had my stuff stolen before when I wasn't around and the police DO NOTHING. They file a report and go on there merry way not giving a crap whether they catch the guy or not. Hence, I would have done SOMETHING to keep them at the scene, NOT kill them.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues

If that man wouldn't have stepped in, the perpetual cycle of crime would have made it's rounds in another neighborhood.
Or the police could have caught them red handed as they had already been called and were on their way.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

Do you know for certain they would have been caught? I'm not justifying murder as I've obviously stated, but if you've dealt with the police enough, you'll learn just why immediate action in conjunction with police efforts are the ONLY way to deal with things.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I never said that.

Sure you did.

Who are you to predetermine what would or wouldn't happen?

If that man wouldn't have stepped in, the perpetual cycle of crime would have made it's rounds in another neighborhood. Robbery, burglary, and other relevant crimes are "habitual" if unchecked, as most others. Though relating with easy money, thieves will always revert to robbing the innocent as a means to "live."

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well I do know he didnt give the police time to get there, that is obvious.

The police wont do much after the fact but they are not going to ignore a burglary in progress. I had them at my house in under 3 mins when two guys were trying to break in.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join