It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Muslim Girls, Scouts Offer a Chance to Fit In

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

To Muslim Girls, Scouts Offer a Chance to Fit In

www.nytimes.com

MINNEAPOLIS — Sometimes when Asma Haidara, a 12-year-old Somali immigrant, wants to shop at Target or ride the Minneapolis light-rail system, she puts her Girl Scout sash over her everyday clothes, which usually include a long skirt worn over pants as well as a swirling head scarf.

She has discovered that the trademark green sash — with its American flag, troop number (3009) and colorful merit badges — reduces the number of glowering looks she draws from people otherwise bothered by her.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It sad really that children have to resort to this level in the "Land of the Free, and home fo the brave". Individual choice and freedom of expression is the hallmark of our country. We have a long way to go. Would she be glared at if she wore a yammaka? Or a cross?.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Well, who should we blame for the profiling?

After all in the land of the free and home of the brave we have been drilled to fear everything that is not and do not look like the rest of us because is those pesky terrorist that wants to kill us all for our freedoms and our way of life.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Perhaps that's what one or two passengers on the railway journey may think...but there will also be one or two who will see an 'awake and aware' 12y.o. kid who's savvy enough to figure out that showing that you are an active and positive part of society the Girl Scouts should be something to be applauded

She's just blending two cultures and creating something new in adapting the uniform...whats wrong with that?

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   
FredT, I don't think you totally grasp what is going on.. Most of the citizens here wouldn't care about what she wore before 9/11... However, it has gained the Islamic world much hate as far as Americans are concerned and that is not a feeling that is likely to go away for a very, very, very long time. Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

[edit on 28-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Although it's a bit sad that someone needs to wear that uniform to get less looks on a train, I am glad that there's a positive influence out there for kids to join that's still well respected by everyone else.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think someone sort of touched on part of the problem. Americans rarely (with the exception of pure racists) have a problem with immigrants who come to America and show that they will work hard to become American. However, right now we are in a war with Muslims and there is an undercurrent feeling that Muslims (and other types of immigrants) are coming to this country to prosper and escape the hardships of their own country but are not willing to work to become American. I hear this message from first and second-generation immigrants that feel like todays immigrants are taking advantage of America’s benefits but are not working as hard as they did to merge into the culture.

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

If so then its a sad state of affairs. Whats next? Round them up? Wait we already did that to Japanese Americans in WWII. We those who fail to learn from history are doomed......

apc

posted on Nov, 28 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Let people have their bigotry. To me all it means is a shorter line for the hot Muslim chick checking my groceries.

I see this as primarily assimilation. Our two cultures have coexisted for some time in the US, but without interacting much. Today, the spotlight is lit, and assimilation is hastened. Aspects will be exchanged between both cultures, and eventually wearing a head scarf really will be as overlooked as wearing a yarmulke or a cross.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Let people have their bigotry. To me all it means is a shorter line for the hot Muslim chick checking my groceries.

But would you dare ask that lass if she'd like to join you on a 'coffee-date'? What kind of reaction would you get from white/asian members of society if you did?

apc

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'd imagine the same reaction I would get from a devout Catholic. But I'm not quite sure what it is you are implying.

Should I have a problem with this woman because her etiquette could be different from my own?

And since when does religion denote race?

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
What he may mean is that even when they are assimilating to the American way of living is still some believes that are part of their culture that will never be assimilated.

In this I will give you an example, my daughter had a friend that was from Pakistan, she was home schooled with her older sister, while the sister was allowed to go on to college and even graduate, when it came for her sister already 25 to marry the marriage was arranged by the father and the groom to be family, sounds old fashion right? even in American, but yes she was married to a Pakistani doctor and my daughter was invited to an all Pakistani Muslim wedding with all the trimmings, dancing (she even was dress in their garb and was allowed to dance) and the bride wore the henna tattoos as per wedding tradition.

Then the single girls (my daughter included) went to the bedroom suite and arranged the bedroom as per their tradition for the prof that she was a virgin.

Sound American to you? no.

But sadly the new bride was too Americanized and her marriage was a disaster and she was allowed to come home to her family and the marriage ended in divorce within a year, sound American? yes this time the American way won but she first submitted to her family traditions.

This is not an isolated incident this happen more than you think when people from other cultures comes to America and try to keep their cultural roots and traditions and they collide with the American way.

posted on Nov, 29 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Whats next? Round them up?

No, people should just accept the fact that it's the natural tendencies of the attacked to abhor their perceived attackers.. Leave well enough alone. You don't think the Japanese still are disgruntled towards Americans for dropping an atomic bomb? You bet your ass they are.. It's natural.

[edit on 29-11-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

top topics

join