It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough in primate cloning

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
You guys can have it. When its time for me to go, its time for me to go. The sad part of life is that eventually it has to end. Thats natural. Thats the way it has always been, and always will be, one way or another.

yeah but whats wrong with extending it a fwe hundred years..?

as long as the clone is a copy of your body and the data is from your brain, thats you...got your feelings and memories and emotions...

you could live for a few hundred years or as long as you wanted to or could ride it out.....

what if they could clone you, all the way but the clone did not have emotion, pain, thoughts, anything till your data is downloaded. it's only downloaded when you are dead so there will still be just one of you..

problem with it then?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

You guys can have it. When its time for me to go, its time for me to go. The sad part of life is that eventually it has to end. Thats natural. Thats the way it has always been, and always will be, one way or another.

as long as the clone is a copy of your body and the data is from your brain, thats you...got your feelings and memories and emotions...

you could live for a few hundred years or as long as you wanted to or could ride it out.....

what if they could clone you, all the way but the clone did not have emotion, pain, thoughts, anything till your data is downloaded. it's only downloaded when you are dead so there will still be just one of you..

problem with it then?

Lol, all of this cloning talk has me thinking of the movie The Island.
I don't like the idea of it, but hell, to each his own.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

If it takes me more than 80 years to live a forefilling, happy life, than I must be doing something wrong. As far as prolonging it, you must never have felt what it feels like to be truly and utterly content with something.

problem with it then?

If you want to be cloned fine. If you want to replace your body, where your brain is moved to another newly made body, fine. The thing was never alive, so thats fine.

I personally think its ridiculous to think more time on this earth is going to make you happier. Like I said, if you feel it will take you more than 80 years to live a life worth living, you must be doing something wrong. It is not about how much time you have, but what you have done with it?

If you feel you need a few hundred extra years, maybe thats just you telling yourself you aren't using your time effectively enough. I know I only need one life span to live my life to the fullest extent.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Human clones already exist.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

This has been a common idea of science fiction writers for a long time. What will we do when we finely have clones? A mass army of obedient solders? A slave labor force? A bank of spare body parts? I is still a long way from being at that point I think. I also think I would rather not be around when it does get to that point.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

One question always arose for me whilst contemplating having an identical "clone" of myself...

Hm, how can I phrase this in the most politically correct/non vulgar/non offensive way...?

Okay, so if you were to "play around" with your clone like one might do to themselves, is it considered a homosexual act, or rather the same as "self gratification"...???

I mean, it IS you identically down to the DNA...it is however another entity, albeit an exact "xerox" copy...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I dont think you need to be religious at all to be against the idea. The only requirement i've seen for being against cloning is that after spending around 30 years on the planet earth you start seeing things a bit differently to when you were a kid.

Primarily i'm talking about cynicism, the reason cloning is dangerous is because it's horribly difficult to ensure that it wont be used for bad stuff. Climb a mountain just because it is there, sure, but i dont think scientists should have the same attitude. Splitting the atom was done just to see if it could be done, and look what that got us.

In this case scientists are pursuing cloning at without any thoughts to the future, they're seeing if it can be done, that's what interests them. Of course they say stuff like, wow this will be wonderful for people, think of the health benefits. And at this point they stop thinking, and dont even consider the myraid of horrible possibilities that this technology could produce. The way this can change society cannot even begin to be predicted.

[edit on 14-11-2007 by unnamedninja]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   
It will only be available to the rich and powerful. Where would that lead? The same people in charge indefinitely. Imagine the consequences. Imagine Hitler immortal. Gives me the shivers. No chance for advancement because the people at the top would be there forever. Death is what makes life worth living.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

So thats what Mushrooms do to a person

Just kidding.

IMO, if it is self aware it is and individual. To harvest organs would amount to murder. If it is without awareness it is just a piece of meat and could not respond to anything anyway.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm serious! Is it considered homosexual, or just the "M" word...(don't want to break the T/C)....

I mean it IS you?! Not that I'd "fiddle" with my clone, but if one did...would they be labeled "homosexual"?

Ahhh...a question for the ages and sages...

[edit on 14-11-2007 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
By either giving or recieving pleasure from a human entity of the same sex, you are homosexual. You gotta clone chillin under your bed waiting for the answer don't you...

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Hey I don't think you understand very well, humans are not computers lol, you cant download send memories, If you were to be cloned, that person would NOT be you, it would be someone else, you would be dead, and this person would live on with your genes but without your memories. It would be illogical for that clone to be you, compare it to identical twins.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Ok, here goes...
You own your clone about as much as you own your child. I mean your child id made from your DNA you should be able to harvest it too or do whatever you want with it. No one has the right to take a kid from an abusive household, it's their kid they can rape it if they want. Are identical twins clones? Are they the same person? They must be. The same egg just split into two so they are identical in every way including personality sexual preference favorite colors food, tv shows, favorite sexual positions etc. Oh, the also say the same things at the same time
They get the same grades in school too and answer the same questions wrong on tests. So yes, your clone would be you...NOT! So your clone would not be you and try telling it that you own it. Would be ironic if your clone were to kill you lol. I'm not against body parts being cloned though.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Here's a few issues I thought up you may want to consider.

Suppose what makes up you could be defined and recorded so as to be stored and transferred into another body, what form would this storage medium take?

Would you be like, I don't know, "burned" to an Über DVD?

And if you could be recorded, stored and copied, why couldn't you be copied more than once?

And which resulting copy would now be considered you, since they're all identical to the original?

That is if, as you believe, there is no soul.

Hmmm...

Would you continue to be aware of your "self" during the process of being recorded, stored and transferred?

What would, what could that experience be like?

And if you could be recorded and defined as a "file" why not have your "data set", i.e. you, loaded into a virtual environment instead, so you could live as anything you wished, and never die?

Sorta like a real, living, everlasting "Sims," or the purely digital side of "The Matrix," without the bummer of a physical death?

Would it be heaven, or would it be hell?

(I suppose that would be somewhat dependent on the creative skills of the "Architect" of this digital existence.)

Or how about installing you into a mechanical body and forgo the physical limitations of a "meat-bag" altogether?

Personally, I don't think any of these scenarios are possible without the existence of the soul, or essence, or "ghost," to define you, as was so eloquently examined in the "Ghost in The Shell" films and series.

That part of you which transcends the tawdry realm of the simply physical.

Without that, your clone would be, could only be, a copy, and could never, ever be you.

So, no "soul," you die.

But with a soul, you can live forever.

Whatever form your heaven may take.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elijio
No one has the right to take a kid from an abusive household, it's their kid they can rape it if they want.

I'm new here so i dont know how far i wanna push the TOS of these boards, but that is an extremely sick thing you said, and i cant even begin to think that you're even serious.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by unnamedninja

Originally posted by Elijio
No one has the right to take a kid from an abusive household, it's their kid they can rape it if they want.

I'm new here so i dont know how far i wanna push the TOS of these boards, but that is an extremely sick thing you said, and i cant even begin to think that you're even serious.

I dont think he actually ment that, he was just talking about people thinking that they would own a clone and do whatever they want. And comparing it to a kid, that it would be wrong in the same way?

I worry a bit more about Boondock78.

[edit on 15-11-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 02:00 AM
link   
My bad if that is the case.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Im all for cloning body parts, this will be the greatest advance in medical history (when it is finally possible).

As for what Boondock is suggesting, why take your clones arm and then grow him a new one? Just grow a new one yourself.

If you think it will take too long and put you out a little, why would you put your clone through that?

Would you tell the clone that he is "going to the Island"?

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

okay lets replace the word soul with consciousness.

we all make our own choices and have our own reality, which see see/smell/hear/touch through our own bodies and sense correct?

well im just saying that you, boondock, would not be behind the steering wheel of that clone, even if it downloaded everything you ever were and ever knew. it would have its own unique consciousness, or no consciousness at all (a veg).

so its no way to escape death or to continue living.. just leaves a reminder of you for people? hehe. well.. if there was an Elvis clone, I bet it would be a major attraction. people would know its not Elvis.. but wanna see exactly what Elvis was like. Its like traveling faster than light only to SEE what happened in the past, but not be able to change it.

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

yes it would be homosexual, because the clone is not literally you. your consciousness is not inside the clone's head. it sees for itself, does for itself.

hey, now theres an abomination of life.. a man so in love with himself that he'd have homosexual sex with his own clone! lolz..

posted on Nov, 15 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I personally think its ridiculous to think more time on this earth is going to make you happier. Like I said, if you feel it will take you more than 80 years to live a life worth living, you must be doing something wrong. It is not about how much time you have, but what you have done with it?

If you feel you need a few hundred extra years, maybe thats just you telling yourself you aren't using your time effectively enough. I know I only need one life span to live my life to the fullest extent.

well golf clap for you dude..
80 years is not enough for me...factor in when you were a kid, when you are sleeping, sick, at work and your 80 years start to dwindle....
there are things i want to see and do and 150 years would not be enough....i think it is a big cosmic joke that this is all the time we get here and if this is a way around that..a way to get me another 80 or even 160 years....i'm all over it..

i 'must' be doing something wrong right....can't be that we just have a different opinion....

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join