It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breakthrough in primate cloning

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Breakthrough in primate cloning

news.bbc.co.uk

Experts have for the first time created cloned embryos from adult monkeys - a technical breakthrough that could bring efficient human cloning a step closer.
A team in the US created dozens of cloned embryos from a 10-year-old macaque monkey, Nature journal reports.

Human cloning has been dogged by controversies over faked research and technical difficulties.

But the new technique could lead to the efficient cloning of human embryos for use in research.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.oregonlive.com
www.slate.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World faces choice on human cloning: U.N. study
Human Cloning .. For or Against?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
This has been a common idea of science fiction writers for a long time. What will we do when we finely have clones? A mass army of obedient solders? A slave labor force? A bank of spare body parts? I is still a long way from being at that point I think. I also think I would rather not be around when it does get to that point.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
i cant say much except this makes me sick

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by uneaq

Thanks for responding. I don't know if you will be around to see what will happen or not. I don't think I will be because of my age. But as has been said many animals have already been cloned so I don't know how fast any one is going to run with this ball.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
like i have been saying in the other thread, clone away...

if i had the cash, i would clone myself RIGHT NOW....no dount about it.

i have bot heard any good arguments against it. i am also not oppsed to a clone for parts for if i ever need a liver...

never know, by the time i die i might be able to dowbload all the data in my brain into my clone and keep on living baby....

i think this is HUGE medically cause of they can clone and create a full on person then they they can clone and create parts...

works for me

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
and if they can clone a full person and close to perfect parts and what not..then bye bye to your average person.. you are foolish to think the governments in charge wouldnt program your clone to kill you.... or make tons of 'perfect' beings just to help wipe us out. think of it..the corprate world would be ran by them..if your not one you dont have a job..soon or later it would be just like the movies.. except i dont think we need to worry about a race of robot warriors..

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I don't see a problem with it either. Growing body parts, stem cells, etc. it's all just meat and it's all good. Clone armies? pffffftt.. they can hire Blackwater for that stuff a hell of a lot cheaper. You do realize you have to feed and raise and educate a clone just the same as a natural born human? Who the hell is going to do that? Your 'clone' can never take your place because it's ALWAYS going to be younger than you.

Boondock has the right idea, 60 year old brains in 20 year old bodies! That would be mankind's greatest achievement and finally solve the paradox that youth is wasted on the young.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

i have bot heard any good arguments against it. i am also not oppsed to a clone for parts for if i ever need a liver...

I think you also have to look at the point that you are saying it is ok to grow humans for the use of body parts. If that is ok, then you are kind of saying all the lower class people of society may only be good to be used as body parts. There have been some reports of this in the past but have not heard anything about it for some time.
So if you fall on hard times, cant pay your taxes, or something like that. Would some one come to take you to use for body parts?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

I think you also have to look at the point that you are saying it is ok to grow humans for the use of body parts. If that is ok, then you are kind of saying all the lower class people of society may only be good to be used as body parts.

no i don't have to do that..

why does that correlation ned to be made?

clone of me does not = lower class people are to be used as body parts.....don't put that in my mouth...you can think of them as hand in hand if you want, but i don't

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I don't see a problem with it either. Growing body parts, stem cells, etc. it's all just meat and it's all good. Clone armies? pffffftt.. they can hire Blackwater for that stuff a hell of a lot cheaper. You do realize you have to feed and raise and educate a clone just the same as a natural born human? Who the hell is going to do that? Your 'clone' can never take your place because it's ALWAYS going to be younger than you.

Boondock has the right idea, 60 year old brains in 20 year old bodies! That would be mankind's greatest achievement and finally solve the paradox that youth is wasted on the young.

keep in mind that the public was just let in about cloning a chimp embryo.. and keep in mind the government technology is many, many years ahead of public knowledge. if they tell you 50 years, make it near 100 if not more. they know what causes bodies and minds to grow. they fought diseases that make people grow at incredible rates. do you really think they cant have a full grown adult in lets say 2-5 years? i garuntee you they been cloning people for at least 10 years now but its still not in the public's best intrest so they havnt come out with it yet...

and no one has to teach anyone anything with the new brain implants and crap..its just like the matrix pretty much.. implant the chip, scan the info..and there ya have it..a 60 year old mind in a 20 year old body in a 5 year time span... all im saying is whatever they are letting us think they know..multiply that by a few and we might have a fraction of what they REALLY know..

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I don't see a problem with it either. Growing body parts, stem cells, etc. it's all just meat and it's all good.

as i stated in the other thread, most people that will have a problem with this will be the religious cause of the whole 'god' and 'soul' thing...
others too of course but they are the ones with the influence...

LIFE has been created NOT naturally, in scientific ways for years now...i see this as no different...

if i have teh cash and choose to clone myself, i should be able to.

i would teach my clone things...

oh yeah....or we could keep them kind of vegetated at say 27 years old and when i die, just transplant my brain or download the data into the clone and i have 60 more years....plenty of time for my clone to grow..

if i get in some accident before my clone hits 27, then download the data into the 16 year old clone and cut me loose....

if i happen to need an arm cause of a car accident, my clone could hook me up, then they could clone that arm and attach it to the clone.

eternal live baby.....till you don't want cloned anymore...

i'm on it

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

clone of me does not = lower class people are to be used as body parts.....don't put that in my mouth...you can think of them as hand in hand if you want, but i don't

What I'm saying here is if it is ok to use a clone for body parts, does that not also mean you are using some one else, another person, for nothing more then a spare parts factory?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
im sorry boondock..dont take this the wrong way.. but do you realize what you're saying? say you get the clone..you get the car accident.. you get the arm transplant..you get the arm cloned and attatched to the clone.. you and your great grandchildren are possible their kids are now in debt for a very long time...health insurance sure as hell isnt goin to cover any of that... i cant even get proper medication now days let alone a new arm and playmate

[edit on 14-11-2007 by uneaq]

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by uneaq

Uneq
it is going way beyond what you are saying. It is being said that it is ok to take some one else's arm because you lost yours and want theres. What would it say for society if that is decided to be ok?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
read my previous posts...i am against any form of cloning..

and my grandfather lost his arm in a steel mill when he was 20.. to be honest, it would kind of freak me out if i saw him with a replacement. as for society, take a good look at society and see what it says on its own. as for it being okay...everyone is entitled to their own opinions. but opinion is still on the side that is against whatever is going on here. and if someone lost their arm and was like uneaq, lets goto the doctor im having your arm..they're getting the other one cut off and beat with it..im sorry, i just dont like the idea of the topic at hand.. calls for a good debate, but im just against it all

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
But what if they could just grow arms. A big bank of arms and legs and other body parts with the right tissue matches for your family? Where's the moral problem in that?

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
regardless...like i said earlier, you would have to be foolish if you think the people in charge arent going to use the technology to fill their own hidden agendas..look at the medical industry as it is.. add cloning to that.. come on, thats another multi billion dollar profit for them..it would be all gravy at first but they would manipulate their system quick...and then in 15-20 years we'll be having the same discussion except this time they successfully breeded a pig with a bald eagle and we're debating on whether that is ok or not...hell no its not ok

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
its about time

genies should not and cannot be put back in the bottle

its how you live with the genie once he's out

instead of the ol' scifi chestnut of armies of clones, another form of slavery, which will not happen. its more likely and rightly so that an endless supply of custom replacement organs will become commonplace

this should have been done decades ago, and it could have but fear and ignorance, as always, holds us all back

think of everyone you know who died from organ failure. still dislike the idea of human cloning?

it occurs in nature, genetically identical twins have souls too.

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
people are supposed to die of organ failure... its called natural causes

posted on Nov, 14 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

What I'm saying here is if it is ok to use a clone for body parts, does that not also mean you are using some one else, another person, for nothing more then a spare parts factory?

no. i am using a clone of me...
PEOPLE/HUMANS/HOMOSAPIANS are made from chromo's from two people..
my clone would be made from a piece of MY dna...it would be exactly like me as far as physical features, height, etc etc...i would have to teach my clone things(or vegetative till ready to download)

i don't see it as how you see it...

maybe keep them walking around and have very, very basic stimulation to keep the brain going or keep them hooked into a matrix type program that is real, real basic and just keps teh neurons firing....then, when i am on my deathbead, they can download the data and start clone number 2

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join