It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Just Click Recent Posts, Find A Member You Like and Check Past Threads! Then post to awaken

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I find myself spending alot of time reading threads that are OK, but don't pack the good info that really gets me thinking, then I pick a user, click on his name, and go look at there threads. Wow finally I can find information I didn't know about, unfortunately it is so good it gets no responses, it is not controversial.

If a thread is really good, it does not inspire debate, it informs and gets a person to go read on the issue, not just click another thread. Or fire a post back.

To help fight the click and click some more, look at threads of whatever posters you like, before going to most recent list, click on a member and see what they have in the treasure of past threads

Or don't
either way

[edit on 10-11-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
You can also look up threads from those who we have a different opinion of to try and expand our own knowledge and perception.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Excellent advice, Redge777.

Many great threads fall off the radar within days but can be discovered again by clicking on the member's name and checking their authored threads.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I kind of like the Youtube subscription system where when you visit youtube, you get a list of new videos from the people you have subscribed to.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to allow people to subscribe to new threads created by chosen individuals here on ATS?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Excellent advice, Redge777.

Many great threads fall off the radar within days but can be discovered again by clicking on the member's name and checking their authored threads.

Opportunity knocks, the perceptive participate.

Is there a place for a "spotlight" or "feature" of "best of" UGC? I've looked at a few excellent pieces in the last couple of days that may not be "today" but were what I might suggest as recommended reading. I had to search. Maybe feature a "best of" post by genre from time to time to reinforce the currency and obvious depth in the ATS archives?

Mira

My fav quote of the week:

"Under normal conditions the research scientist is not an innovator but a solver of puzzles, and the puzzles upon which he concentrates are just those which he believes can be both stated and solved within the existing scientific tradition."

Thomas Kuhn

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Really great advice Redge.

Whenever I read a provocative or insightful post, I ALWAYS make time to find out more about the thread author's perspective by looking at their profile or browsing and reading the threads they have posted. I also love to explore the links posted in the profile section. I have learned so much!

Another pointer would be that ATS members need to use the search function to learn more about topics they are interested in but also to avoid posting duplicate threads on the same topic within a very short time-frame. Admittedly, one thread may have a different spin on a topic than another, so be sure to read each one. (Lots of duplicates on the board lately). Also, if I can turn on CNN/MSNBC/FOXNews and hear the story or there is not imminent "need-to-know" - please don't post it as "breaking news" unless you have information or a perspective that is different than other media sources.

ATS is a great mechanism to enlighten people to alternative news sources outside of the LameStreamMedia. Whenever you have the ability, please post links, resources and sample texts so that threads will be more in-depth. This will help ATS to be a more intricately structured site that might actually help wake someone up after their trip down the rabbit hole.

I love the idea of "recommended reading" or "best of" in categories. I also think members should take the time to recognize well-written or informative posts and threads by actually utilizing the "star" and "flag" functions. I am amazed to see really great material completely overlooked. These editorial functions act as a roadmap to enlightenment for noobs and lurkers as well as inspiring members to do their best to Deny Ignorance instead of posting some one/off blurb.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

I kind of like the Youtube subscription system where when you visit youtube, you get a list of new videos from the people you have subscribed to.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to allow people to subscribe to new threads created by chosen individuals here on ATS?

This sounds like a good idea

To the poster that commented on searching other threads.

I like this idea also, I also like it when a thread that has broad scope links outward to other threads that dig deeper on different areas. It makes that thread a go to place for info on a particular subject. Sometimes a new thread can be a drawing together of past good info.

If you find a thread then search for more on the topic, link the relevant finds back to the main article so others can meander down the train of thought.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Shameless bumping of an idea, I think it is a good one, I learned alot from actually looking around.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redge777
Shameless bumping of an idea, I think it is a good one, I learned alot from actually looking around.

I agree Redge777. Very thoughtful thread.
I actually took your advice and am working on a followup to a discussion that has been off the "front pages" for awhile.

top topics

join